Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't mine or cut wood.  (Read 14198 times)

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't mine or cut wood.
« on: May 29, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »

Hi all, new to DF.  Learned about it on the Darkwind forums (www.dark-wind.com).  And now I have a question.

At Coalwane, my two miners had a pair of stupid accidents in rapid succession.  Now one of them is hospitalized and the other's skeleton is unsanitarily floating in the reservoir.  I have four or five dwarves assigned to mining duty, but they won't do it.  Also, they won't cut wood.  I've made sure there are extra picks and axes to be had, and the dwarves assigned to the labor have no other duties, but they are still at 'No Job' status. 

Any ideas?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't mine or cut wood.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 03:39:13 pm »

The most likely issue is that you're using Dwarf Therapist. If you use the Dwarf Therapist utility to assign labors that require equipment (mining, woodcutting, and hunting), the dwarves won't seek out the equipment they need, and since they don't have the equipment they won't do the jobs. To fix this problem, disable the labors, unpause the game for a second or two, then enable them again ingame without using the utility. They'll then seek out the picks or axes they need to work, then work.

Another issue, though somewhat less likely, is that you've inadvertently cut off access to the mines or surface so that your miners or woodcutters cannot get from where they are to where you've got stone or trees designated. To check this, try setting a soldier to station near where you want mined or chopped. If the soldier can get there from wherever your main meeting area is, then access isn't the problem, but as mentioned, it's less likely to be in the first place.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 05:03:31 am »

if one of the miners is in hospital, and the other is dead and floating in  a random place
chances are your conscript miners have no way of getting picks
either get some from the caravan, kill Urist McBroken-Toe or forge new picks

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:57:10 am »

If you have around 20+ dwarfs you'll need an Arsenal noble.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 01:20:29 pm »

An Arsenal noble just to do woodcutting and digging? I don't think he's needed for that role, but I haven't checked definitively. Now if those picks and axes were assigned to the military, then that's another matter.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 03:13:49 pm »

first, are you playing .31 or 40d?

Most likely, you've run into the "miltary are stupid and will never work again" bug.  Civilians should do the work.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 04:01:52 pm »

1.  ensure that you have free picks in an accessible stockpile which are not tasked under the j screen for something else
2.  make sure your dwarf is set to mining (they cant do mining and woodcutting)
3.  ensure that you have an area that is designated and reachable
4.  ensure that dwarfs are allowed out side if you are using 40d and the area is out side and not constrained to Burroughs in the newest version

I am not sure if dwarfs in the military in the newer version have any bugs but you may want to remove them from the squad

if you did not prepare for your journey then i think you start with 2 picks, if you lost both your miners...and didn't recover their picks...
also keep in mind
if your dwarf goes insane he is considered an enemy which means his equipment is forbidden on death, make sure all picks are not forbidden
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:18:25 pm »

Acutally I did run into this myself just now.  It really is Dwarf therapist messing up, you need to disable and reenable the labor via the in game screen.

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:19:07 pm »

Wow, thanks for all the help!  It turns out the problem was Dwarf Therapist.  I did as NecroRebel suggested, and they started chopping down trees and mining again.

Now the unconscious miner has been elected mayor and the trade envoy won't leave.  His standing next to the miner waiting for the meeting has caused no one to be able to bring him food and water, and now the poor wounded miner is starving.  This game is so cool!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 12:21:38 pm »

An Arsenal noble just to do woodcutting and digging? I don't think he's needed for that role, but I haven't checked definitively. Now if those picks and axes were assigned to the military, then that's another matter.

He assigns weapons, which covers axes and picks.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 01:42:37 pm »

He assigns weapons, which covers axes and picks.
He assigns weapons to military dwarves, which doesn't cover civilian woodcutters or miners. I've got 38 dwarves and have no military and so haven't bothered setting an arsenal dwarf. As new dwarves migrate in, I'm making axes and giving them woodcutting, and they've got no problems picking up the axes even without an arsenal dwarf assigned.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 08:29:06 pm »

Semi-necroing this, have the same bug but can't bypass it, tried everything said above and still no one assigned to mining will get the mining pick.