Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1987060 times)

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.12] [V4.1] NEW!
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2010, 09:43:38 pm »

@ mjuad: I try!
@ DFPongo: I don't know, haven't played with it much TBH
@ Yasokhuul: Yeah I had thought about that one. Hey 36kb is small enough that no one should complain!

Also:
More then 5000 downloads over all versions

Cool beans.

Does anyone care about keeping old versions up there? I always feel like I should keep the last version up at least in case there's issues or someone needs an older version.
Thing is, if someone wants to download DF 31.06 or something, it should work with everything in the latest pack.  :-\
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:47:34 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2010, 12:50:00 am »

Add the mod that gives more adventure mode reactions. It makes it much more fun, and doesn't change that much for DF purists.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2010, 12:51:07 am »

I don't see any reason to keep the old versions up if the new versions work with the old DF.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2010, 12:57:45 pm »

LucasUp
Went through a few aborted starts with the package yesterday.
Worked great, thanks to you and everyone that contributed the content.
I for one really really appreciate having it all together like this.
Ya, it seems that Bentgirder has enough iron and coal (and gold and silver) to make the Bismark, but not a shred of flux.
I have to wonder about the viability of that embark for most users who would play it.
The custom parties are interesting.
Thanks again.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2010, 07:58:30 pm »

EDIT:
Does anyone care if I change to .7z (7zip) instead of .zip files? There's quite a big size difference.

Add the mod that gives more adventure mode reactions. It makes it much more fun, and doesn't change that much for DF purists.
Mods should be kept optional I think. Longer wait for them to be compatible too. MAYBE I'll put more stuff in the Optional links just to suggest things to new players.

I don't see any reason to keep the old versions up if the new versions work with the old DF.
Well it was mostly in case something was terribly wrong with a new version. Also so that say, if a utlility (like stonesense) was not available in a new pack, people could still play the old pack that supported it, untill the new version was updated.
That being said, I deleted the old versions off of DFFD. The previous version can still be found on the MIRROR (Drop.io/lazynewbpack) if needed. Also you can message me if you want any particular version.

LucasUp
Went through a few aborted starts with the package yesterday.
Worked great, thanks to you and everyone that contributed the content.
I for one really really appreciate having it all together like this.
Ya, it seems that Bentgirder has enough iron and coal (and gold and silver) to make the Bismark, but not a shred of flux.
I have to wonder about the viability of that embark for most users who would play it.
The custom parties are interesting.
Thanks again.
You're welcome. Glad its working well for you!
Bentgirder, I'm not the maker of it. PERHAPS I'll work with the maker to develop a better save/embark that meets a few more criteria AND that can be re-genned for new versions, or just develop my own separate pre-genned world. Would be good if it could stay compatible with the tutorial though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:13:54 pm by LucasUP »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 26, 2010, 08:19:34 pm »

Okay, I see your point there.

As per .7z vs .zip, I prefer .rar files, if it makes any difference to you. I'm sure it doesn't, but I thought I'd share my input.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 26, 2010, 10:03:02 pm »

7z's LZMA algorithm can compress much better than RAR; on the order of bzip2 or better. Windows users should notice no inconvenience since they should already have WinRAR installed, and it has been able to handle 7z natively for several versions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2010, 10:37:03 pm »

Schweet. .7z is fine by me then.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.12] [V4.1]
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2010, 01:46:56 pm »

DFPongo, you're right about Bentgirder. There is no flux on site. It's meant for beginners, so steel making wasn't a high priority.

Star Guarded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bravemule
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2010, 01:53:12 pm »

Awesome work on this. I like that you make sure all the utilities in the pack work with the current version, and the speed that you get the new packs up with.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2010, 02:27:32 pm »

I've been using 7zip since way back when it could handle all the other types and nothing else handled 7z, you know, before it was cool lol. I always hated winzip and winrar.

Valathil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2010, 03:01:07 pm »

Can i be in the MEGA CREDITS for searching the 31.11 & 12 memlocations? Pretty please with a cherry on top? ^^

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2010, 10:28:55 pm »

7zip it is! (for whenever new version is...)
Can i be in the MEGA CREDITS for searching the 31.11 & 12 memlocations? Pretty please with a cherry on top? ^^
Absolutely not. You have not just been added to the megacredits. I will give all credit to myself 8)
Awesome work on this. I like that you make sure all the utilities in the pack work with the current version, and the speed that you get the new packs up with.
It's too bad that I have to do all the hard work... like making the utilities... and memory hacking everything to compatibility. All by myself.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2010, 10:58:17 pm »

I've never used the rapist but I've been wanting to try it, someone mentioned that from the lazy newb pack it works on 31.12. Is there any way I can just use that from the package? It's not that I don't appreciate all your hard work, I'm just not that into mods and graphics sets.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2010, 11:56:35 pm »

Yeah it'll work just fine. You could even pull the DT folder out and put it alongside your install of DF if you wanted.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 137