Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1986951 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.2] NEW & UP-TO-DATE!
« Reply #1035 on: August 02, 2011, 11:57:11 pm »

Have you tried redownloading the LNP?

Most Windows exectuables, if corrupt, don't launch.  If dependencies aren't satisfied, also don't launch.  I have no idea why this should be launching at all if it refuses to work.  You're not on a protected system that you don't necessarily have write privileges to, are you?  Launch the LNP as an administrator and see if it works.

I'm kind of pragmatic.  My opinion is, if you can't get the thing that's suppose to make your life easier to work in the first place, it's not making your life easier.  It's possible that it may well be faster and not much harder to download a vanilla copy and make changes yourself.  Especially if you're like me and two thirds of the changes you want to make have to be done manually anyway since tools like the LNP don't support them.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: August 03, 2011, 01:40:52 am »

hmm... it worked fine on the x64 Win7 system. Vista could be the problem, but I doubt it.
it's possible we have some "hidden" dependencies that we don't know about, or maybe we have some sort of glitch with the graphics packs not properly saving.

Just a note though, pick a graphics pack first because it overwrites the other options (it would be hard to do it a different way, I think we'll rewrite that part of the code when we have a chance...).
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 03, 2011, 11:00:24 pm »

I noticed in the v9.2 pack that the Utilities folder has been subdivided into A-Newb, B-Advanced, and C-Hacks. I can understand why you did that (to make it easier for newbies) and I realize that it's impossible to please everyone. However, I really preferred the old structure where they were all together in Utilities. I often find myself browsing the Utilities folders directly (to modify a utility's .ini/config or other files) and now that's a hassle. Besides, I suspect most newbies launch utilities directly from the LNP GUI. As such, I'd think it might work better to explain which utilities are newbie-friendly and which are for advanced uses, etc. in either the readme .txt file, by adding tips in the Utilities tab (LNP GUI), or both.

Also, I tried to manually update the Phoebus graphics in v9.2 from v21 to v23... but it did not work right. It seems that in Phoebus' v23 pack he put the init files inside ...\data\init\phoebus\ instead of the usual ...\data\init\ subdirectory.

Edit:
Well... there are a lot of differences from the Phoebus 31.25v21 folder in LNP. It looks like the new tileset editor that Phoebus included makes doing a manual update very difficult.

Edit Edit:
And, it seems that the LNP GUI does not always save the Exotic Animals: NO choice. Sometimes it does... but sometimes it defaults back to YES after I close and restart the GUI. ??? Weird.

Also, I checked the raws in my save and it still contains the usual [PET_EXOTIC] tags. Does this mean that this change requires generating a new world? Somehow, I thought it was possible to change the [PET_EXOTIC] tags on a save without a problem.

I can't comment on some of the other small problems yet, or new Phoebus stuff, will look into them if i ever have time. But the A-Newb, B-Advanced, and C-Hacks thing actually is more of a work-around: I wanted certain utilities appearing higher in the utilities list in the GUI, and it traverses files/folders alphabetically. So everything in "A-Newb" shows up first. Mostly wanted to put all the DFHack stuff at the bottom and things like Therapist showing higher, without hard-coding positions for things.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:02:10 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

LordBlade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 04, 2011, 11:54:17 pm »

Just a note though, pick a graphics pack first because it overwrites the other options (it would be hard to do it a different way, I think we'll rewrite that part of the code when we have a chance...).

Yup, I did that. Selected the graphics pack first. Then made the other changes.

But I keep getting the same error.

I've tried checking all the "admin access" stuff. "Run as administrator" and all of that. And I don't see any problems there.

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.2]
« Reply #1039 on: August 05, 2011, 08:50:03 am »

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way to apply the kobold workaround using LNP, or do I just have to go in manually to the raws and do it?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 05, 2011, 11:02:01 am »

we currently don't have this feature.
although... hm...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Calasmeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 06, 2011, 01:35:24 pm »

I'm sure you've heard it before, but Lucas, thanks a lot. You're a huge credit to expanding Dwarf Fortress and helping new people get into the game.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 10, 2011, 10:36:47 am »

Happy b-day Lucas!  :P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #1043 on: August 12, 2011, 06:09:46 pm »

The hovering-over text of the "Aquifers:" button says "Oh, they just output infinite water and flood you're entire fort." [sic] Sorry to be a Grammar Nazi, but can that be fixed? XD

Great tool; works perfect on my x64 Windows 7.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: August 12, 2011, 06:20:14 pm »

afair that was intended...  :P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: August 12, 2011, 08:06:44 pm »

Yeah it doesn't save my options for aquifers and exotic animals. I don't know whether this occurs after i exit the game/ GUI or if it never saves at all.
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 12, 2011, 10:17:46 pm »

Yeah it doesn't save my options for aquifers and exotic animals. I don't know whether this occurs after i exit the game/ GUI or if it never saves at all.

I can all but assure you it isn't happening at all.  DF doesn't work that way, by that I mean, it won't revert (nor alter at all) these files on its own.  The LNP executable also shouldn't be altering anything without explicit permission unless something is royally f***ed with it's design, which I'm doubting.

Again, if this isn't doing what it's supposed to, I'm not really sure why it's succeeding at executing in the first place.  It's possible it's successfully recovering from an error that it's not telling you about...dev team, how's the error catching look in this program?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: August 13, 2011, 02:25:01 am »

the thing is, to get the options in your world, you must generate a new world.
it's very hard to get it into existing saves (i don't quite know how to do that...) but we do it for the world-generation files.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Thulen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 18, 2011, 05:37:47 am »

:-* Yus very much thank you for compiling this for us utter newbee's i was trying the game wouldnt mind the ascii but saw this and it helped my eyes alot.

Not only should it be stickied they should have a screenshots of possible ways to view the game on the game page from using mods like these [ http://bay12games.com/dwarves/] that would made me try this ages ago really o.O

I love it, cant remember last time i was this addicted to a game over 10 years ago maybe. ( elite 1-2 )
Dwarf Fortress runs on the most powerfull graphic card there is... your imagination !

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: August 30, 2011, 10:04:11 pm »

Bump
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 137