Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1985699 times)

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.11] [V13] Finally!
« Reply #1845 on: July 22, 2012, 04:20:18 pm »

Dwarf fortress's GUI actually already has a way to disable them. You have to do so in world gen

quitzy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: July 22, 2012, 05:08:28 pm »

where the hell can i download this pack?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: July 23, 2012, 02:00:02 am »

where the hell can i download this pack?

Follow the yellow bricked links on side one of this thread to DFFD or Mediafire ...

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #1848 on: July 23, 2012, 10:20:04 am »

I am sick of vampires.  >:(

I found an in-game, role-playing way to make vampires no problem at all.

I waited until we got our first few vampire kills (although that's not necessary - if there are vampires in the world, obviously dwarves are going to be worried about the possibility). My dwarves got together and discussed the situation, despite the fact that their (vampire) mayor tried to dissuade them. :)

Here's the deal: The original seven dwarves are confident in each other, because they're not strangers. So any vampires will have to come as migrants. But vampires won't have families. They might have had families, but vampires are monsters. They won't have families any longer.

So any migrant who comes without a family, or who doesn't have relatives in my fortress already, is immediately suspect. The very young are given a pass, since it's considered unlikely that they'd be vampires. (If we started getting more deaths, that would change, of course.)

But any others (usually only two or three per migrant wave) are locked up. If they start exhibiting clear signs of hunger or thirst, they're released with our apologies. The others - vampires - remain locked up, perfectly healthy without eating or drinking anything for years.

As I say, this is a role-playing way to do it. And it's very easy to implement in-game, too. I put a bed in a cell and make that the suspected vampire's bedroom. I also make it a burrow and restrict the dwarf to it. When the dwarf enters the room, I lock the door behind him. Even vampires can't open locked doors. (You can, if you want, build a wall to enclose the cell even more securely, once you identify a vampire.)

I check each migrant wave. Sometimes there aren't any lone dwarves. Often, they all have living family connections (just claiming a family elsewhere won't do). Other times, there might be as many as three who arouse our suspicion. But they go to their cells just fine (especially if they don't have any work duties assigned), and after that, it's just a matter of checking on them occasionally.

Isn't this how dwarves would do it? It seems perfectly reasonable to me. And I haven't had the slightest problem with vampires since. (Note that I had three show up in one of the first migrant waves, so my dwarves have reason to worry!)

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: July 23, 2012, 11:52:41 am »

Yes, there are ways to identify vampires. But the roleplaying way takes some time. Time I often spend whith other things considering two migrant waves with about 30 new citizens.
That is stress enough in my world. ^^
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:33:50 am by Laurin »

Geros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: July 24, 2012, 05:20:43 am »

Hi guys, I am having some issues with this pack. Namely some parts of the menu are missing. Since I can't explain so well I'll post a screenshoot - http://i47.tinypic.com/30a9tmg.jpg  And when I am looking through dwarf jobs, trader list etc..

oh, and I have trouble makeing that wall in the bottom left corner, Does someone know how can I fix it. I am new and learning through 4Deman tutorials on youtube :) , and I don't hear dwarves talking like on his videos :/

Is it an issue in this pack only or is it me? :/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:30:29 am by Geros »

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: July 24, 2012, 05:32:20 am »

The text issue can be "fixed" by pressing F12 (toggles truetype).

Walls can obviously be tricky sometimes, there are some threads around regarding the matter and also some tips over at the wiki:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:How_do_I_construct_a_wall_from_a_particular_direction

Geros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: July 24, 2012, 06:27:23 am »

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:03:05 pm by Geros »

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #1853 on: July 24, 2012, 11:16:38 am »

Yes, there are ways to identify vampires. But the roleplaying way takes some time.

Ah, yes. I play the game for the roleplaying, myself, so I didn't think of that. (And that's why I want a logical, role-playing way to identify vampires.) But obviously, not everyone plays the same way or for the same reason. No problem, but I guess my solution won't help you.

Geros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: July 27, 2012, 02:03:00 pm »

I got 1 problem that happens every 2nd winter. Can someone explain what am I doing wrong, basically every 2nd winter my well brakes and my dwarfs kill each other cause they can't drink :/

I hope that problem can be seen in these images and can be fixed?
Please help this is my best build yet >__<

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: July 27, 2012, 03:01:58 pm »

I got 1 problem that happens every 2nd winter. Can someone explain what am I doing wrong, basically every 2nd winter my well brakes and my dwarfs kill each other cause they can't drink :/

I hope that problem can be seen in these images and can be fixed?

Well, the first thing you're doing wrong is asking a question in an unrelated thread in the wrong forum.  You should start your own thread in the DF Gameplay Questions forums, rather than hijacking someone else's thread.  Also, the word is "breaks", not "brakes".  "Brakes" are the things that stop your car.

As for your well, it's freezing, and when water freezes in a well it causes it to disassemble.  Read the Well entry at the Dwarf Fortress wiki where it explains this and tells you how to prevent it.

In any case, your dwarves should be drinking alcohol normally instead of water.  Unless you have dwarves in the hospital or are filling a pond, you shouldn't need a well very often.  Make sure you're brewing enough drinks.

Finally, starting with v0.34.08, traps now block traders, so those traps at your entrance will block trade caravans from reaching your trade depot (unless you have another route that's outside of your screenshot).
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: July 28, 2012, 01:52:20 am »

Traps don't block caravans, only their wagons. You still get caravans, but with fewer stuff.

You can use water from the river for your well if you channel it into your fortress, once it is inside (and below the surface) it won't freeze anymore. You could also use a filled pond inside (via bucket brigade).

But the most serious issue is already mentioned by HiEv: Your dwarves need alcohol. Brew, brew, brew!
No healthy dwarf should drink water, they get unhappy and won't work as good as with an ample supply of various drinks.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:56:53 am by Laurin »

Spleenling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: July 31, 2012, 08:24:56 pm »

Will not run I get these error message one after the other
Both Read file errors Looking for Init.txt and d_init.txt
In the Dwarf Fortress files i looked where it said they shuld be and they were there
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:29:18 pm by Spleenling »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: August 05, 2012, 05:42:07 pm »

Hey. Big fan of the LNP here with a quick suggestion.

Could you include the parameters for a Lazy Newb World that is also suitable for adventure mode? Maintain the same frequency of minerals and volcanoes, but increase the size and history length? I know next to nothing about genning worlds myself, but I'm sure that some other things like number of sites and civilizations may have to be tweaked as well to make the world ideal for adventurers.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: August 05, 2012, 06:39:42 pm »

Hey , lazy newb pack creator ! you should add the DFhak in the pack .
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:39:35 pm by brainfreez »
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 137