Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: Neo Dreams: Chronicles of Avarsiin. Pseudo Devlog.  (Read 58944 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Pen & Paper RPG. Reactions?
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2010, 04:17:21 pm »

Lemme know how that goes. I may need that for mine. I'm glad you like the idea. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2010, 02:46:20 am »

Well, I can't offer very much input on what little I've seen, but it sounds like you've got something with great potential on your hands. I look forward to seeing how this turns out and eventually hearing about it in the future.

This thread is kind of inspiring for myself, because online friends of mine and myself have been working on a roleplaying world for about 3 years now with the end objective being an MMO Forum-RP. Reading this has given me thought to also ask Bay12 for advice on our project.

I'll try and revisit this when you perhaps put out a little bit more information so I can give some advice on it.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2010, 08:54:37 am »

Oh, hey, cool stuff.

Project is currently on hiatus (again) as I have a brand new job, a small child to take care of, and am looking for a house so I can have someplace to relax and get work on this done. Maybe someday it'll see the light of day.

Did anyone have any specific questions otherwise?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2010, 10:21:52 pm »

Status Update:
Sections of the game:

Lineages:15/15 completed

Occupations: This is a freeform part of the game. Player can pick whatever they want, but I'd like to give examples. I currently have 4, and I don't think that's enough.

Proficiencies: 4/47 Completely done. Carpentry and Cooking just need descriptive paragraphs to be completed.

Magic: This section is kind of further on the back burner than everything else for the moment. Most of the work is fluff and balancing. Fire, Water and Necromancy are rules-complete, but have no descriptors.
1/100 Blessings finished, 52/100 Curses finished. Need to rework Enchanting, but I will do that when I get to the Proficiency for it.

Combat system needs fluff and instructions.

Equipment: 12/28 Swords finished. No other equipment even started yet, aside from templates. Templates for customizing all equipment are started, but need to be fleshed out. Other goods and services also templated out, but need filling in. (See a pattern here?)

Materials: Templates, templates, templates. I have one finished.

Player-built Buildings, Traps, Ships, other vehicles: I just need to convert from notes and add fluff.

Meta-Plot: Gonna do this part last.

Gods/Nobles/Favor: Idea is mapped out, but needs to be completed and balanced. Repeste (God of Death) will be finished when I figure out his spell and favor demands.

Monsters: 1/100 completely finished. More templates (and how. 990 left to fill in, but that's just numbers. 99 more monster fluff pieces to write, too.)

Humanoid Enemies: Not started. Need a better title for this part.

Animals: 100 templates to fill, and one or two sentence pieces of fluff to do. Probably going to enlist my favorite PetCo employee to help me with this. I don't want him smacking me for putting animals in the wrong order on the food chain. He's 6'3", 300 lbs.

The "Your own world" section: Not really started, but it's almost all advice on worldgenning for n00bz.

Character evolution: Not really started. Want to have at least one evo per Lineage, but I'm just not there yet.

Other Playstyles: Not started yet, mostly converting notes.

Explicit consent to modify the game and legal stuff: Not started yet.

Edit (because I forgot): After all of this gets done, I'll be illustrating. I don't want to do a whole crapton of pictures to keep my indie developing costs down, but if something is absolutely necessary (or there's a large outcry for it) I'll draw it up. I'm probably going to dedicate at least 4 full pages to equipment, because there's so much of it, and I want to do a plain vs fully customized version of each really popular piece of equipment (like the katana and the falchion.) Each lineage, of course, is going to get an illustration or four, too, but I kinda want to wait until I have some character models done for them.

So, thoughts, questions, concerns, flames, offers of money (yeah, right.), comments?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:38:20 pm by MaximumZero »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2010, 03:04:11 am »

It looks very good, though I would agree that only four examples of occupations would not be enough.

You might also want to include a blank character sheet and a few example characters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2010, 09:49:29 am »

Sorry. Character sheet's been done for so long that I actually forgot about it. Example characters sound like a good idea. I have one that we go through step-by-step for building a character, but I can expand on that.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2010, 12:16:01 pm »

Speaking of the character sheet, it's here: http://pdfcast.org/pdf/neo-dreams-character-sheet

The top part is a mess, but I'm in the middle of rearranging it so it looks more professional. Any ideas, folks?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2010, 12:21:53 pm »

The only thing I can think of is to make it more tabular - give the players boxes to write in instead of open space, and it'll look a lot better once it's filled out.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2010, 12:34:23 pm »

Edit: For the heck of it, I decided to go with this.

Here's the reorganized version (no boxes): http://pdfcast.org/pdf/neo-dreams-character-sheet
With boxes: http://pdfcast.org/pdf/neo-dreams-character-sheet-w-boxes
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:32:37 pm by MaximumZero »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2010, 01:39:29 pm »

Mt. Kebab doesn't have an interesting summit (if you don't count that it looks like a jumping dolphin with a fez), but is actually decently difficult. It has a long stretch of overhanging cliff with odd bits that make it somewhat hard to climb.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2010, 01:44:47 pm »

Uh, wrong thread? o.O

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2010, 05:43:40 pm »

Mt. Kebab doesn't have an interesting summit (if you don't count that it looks like a jumping dolphin with a fez), but is actually decently difficult. It has a long stretch of overhanging cliff with odd bits that make it somewhat hard to climb.
Sig'd
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2010, 01:42:41 am »

Uh, wrong thread? o.O
Haha, yeah. I kinda wondered where that post went. Should probably repost it where it belongs. :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2010, 10:31:12 pm »

So, what does everyone think of the new charsheets? I know that without the data that actually fills in those spaces, it's all meaningless, but I just want input on the layout.

...anyone?

are you still there?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2010, 12:50:59 am »

They're nice, I guess. Fairly simple and straightfoward. Only thing I think is wrong is the amount of space dedicated to equipment - it kinda looks like you don't expect the players to carry much besides their combat gear.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30