Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burn wooden furniture in ashery?  (Read 579 times)

Behrooz Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Woo, I play with dwarves!
    • View Profile
Burn wooden furniture in ashery?
« on: May 19, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »

On maps without a great deal of wood, it'd be nice to be able to burn wooden furniture in the ashery, like you can re-melt metal items.

That'd be a good way to get rid of all of the low-quality siege engine parts that keep stacking up.

Behrooz''s Law:<BR>The relevance of ongoing discussion in a bulletin board thread is inversely proportional to both the volume and number of quotations appended therein.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Burn wooden furniture in ashery?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

makes sense

i dont see any problem with it at all.

Charcoal would still need a proper log though.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

I was thinking about something like this last night as well while playing, as I had made a ton of wooden crossbows to increase a dwarf's bowyer skill and found myself wishing there was something more I could do with them than trade them. Not sure if you'd be able to get a full set of ash from a single crossbow, though..

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

If the next version has the stack splitting problems solved (Toady seemed to have considerable trouble solving those), we might see several crossbows made from one log, and numerous charcoal bits from burned crossbows. (As opposed to burning the whole log to get one big charcoal chunk).

Side note: Unless I'm completely mistaken, crossbows require a lot more than wood, so it'd be nice to see composite items from different materials. And then get those materials back, bit by bit. You do know furniture can be made from...  er...  (damn, I don't know the english word for it)...  "compressed small bits of wood"?

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 11:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>You do know furniture can be made from...  er...  (damn, I don't know the english word for it)...  "compressed small bits of wood"?</STRONG>

Partical Board.

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »

But without faux wood plastic laminate we'll never be able to make proper cheap particle board furniture.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 01:06:00 am »

They are hearty strong dwarves, they should sleep on stone beds as long as you have well made silk sheets handy.

Partical board doesn't actually need any sort of laminate.  If it is sanded gently with a fine enough grit sand paper it can actually have a very interesting finish.  Add 1 coat of stain and 2 coats of laquer and you usually end up with very beautiful furniture.  It is quite dependent on the partical size though.

Also glue is a readily makeable item from all those horse we have floating around.  A smart dwarf though would realize that if he takes his fresh chopped lumber, saws it into furniture ready boards.  Then chips the scrap odd foot length, adds the saw dust as wll as some water.  He can actually get the resins in those green chips and dust to glue the board back together.  All that is needed is pressure from a nice boulder and a few water treatments repeated alternatingly.

[ May 22, 2007: Message edited by: Veroule ]

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 08:15:00 am »

Why the ashery? Surely the wood furnace would make more sense?
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck