Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: (Community) Groovedbells  (Read 4576 times)

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(Community) Groovedbells
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:23:14 pm »

Been playing for a decent while and I think I have enough of a basic understanding to avoid Fun. Well, at least for a little while... The fact I'm still figuring out hospitals shouldn't affect mortality at all! :P

Hope you enjoy my fumbling around, and if you want a dorf just post preferred name/gender/profession and I'll adjust accordingly.

Journal Entry: 1st Granite 1051

Well, it's a lovely spring day and all is well. We've arrived at our WONDERFULLY picturesque destination and have begun to set up our preliminary dig sites. The fact I'm seeing red has absolutely nothing to do with bureaucratic incompetence and everything to do with THE WORTHLESS DIRT SURROUNDING ME. It's a good thing I had the foresight to grab some wood because there's nary a tree in sight, nor a drop of water to be seen.

Yes. Groovedbells is off to a perfect start. At least those camels in the distance should be good eating.

*Ahem* Anyway. Our noble masters in the Enchanted Hall wanted an outpost setup, and since nobody in their right minds would voluntarily come to this benighted wasteland, they gave the job to us "hardened criminals." (It wasn't my fault the damn cat belonged to a baron... shouldn't have been eating my steak... ). Seven of us were chosen:

"Blade" Uzolamud (me) as expedition leader ("Crime": Murder most foule. Of a noble's cat. )

"Flame Muffin" Zuglarlular as our miner and mason (Crime: Public indecency in the form of some rather interesting lewd statues)

"Randall" Izegiteb as our architect and carpenter ( Crime: Offending visiting elven dignitaries. He should have got a medal in my opinion.)

"Ast" Ducimesdar as our stoneworker and mechanic (Crime: Vandalising public property. I saw some of her engravings and agree that it is indeed a crime. )

"Omnigrue" Tamolzulban as our hunter/trapper (Crime: Unmentionable deeds with an elk )

"Silo" Momuzor as our general craftsdwarf (Crime: Theft and damage of private property. Apparently in a fit of artistic jealousy. )

And finally "Peasant" Ducimesdar as our farmer and gatherer. (Crime: Public indecency. Wanted to "be clothed only as nature intended." Filthy elf lover too I bet. )

And that's the lot of us. I suppose we should be grateful to be spared the tender mercies of the Hammerer but I find it hard to feel any gratitude at the moment.

Wait... WHAT THE? "GOOBALLS?" What idiot went and engraved our outpost's name wrong on the records?! AST!

(No pics for now as all the imagehosts I try appear to be blocked or something, will get that up tonight :/ )

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:35:20 am by Blade_Train3r »
Help Miqo grow!

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Groovedbells

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Community) Groovedbells
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 11:35:31 am »

15th Granite 1051

Excavation work is going well, with space so far having been cleared for several rooms. Dodok has spoken to me about the possibility of getting some assistance but I told him to deal with it.

It's as hot as a magma pit out here. Wish he would hurry up.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:04:36 am by Blade_Train3r »
Help Miqo grow!

Groovedbells

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 06:39:14 am »

Dodok 'FlameMuffin' Ingishgidthur
Female
Miner/Mason
Can I write my own journal? It doesn't have to be cannon, I'm just wondering. It'll probably end up really creepy (see This. Second to last post on the page in the later entries.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 06:45:42 am by NewsMuffin »

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 07:59:24 am »

Tholtig 'Peasant' Uztulon, everything else is up to you.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 09:04:20 am »

ill take ilral
name him Randall
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 12:05:51 pm »

I just realized that Dodok worships a god with her same name. It's kinda funny that Dodok's last name is Bodicegrasped, and the god's name is Graspguarded. Funny.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 05:16:12 pm »

I'll take Ast, keep the name, and loves to come up with trap designs in her spare time, and loves setting up a well made trap, to find it bloodied with goblin parts, sawblades are her favorite trap component.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:51:27 pm »

I'll take Llorbam Raboslam.

Name: Silo

Personality:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Meowth! That's right!

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 05:54:06 am »

Hi - sorry this thread is kinda dead but things have been hectic in rl. I'll get things going again as soon as (if) I locate the save file again... hopefully it'll work with 31.12 but if not, meh, I'll live :P

Edit: Yeah... found a .03 folder, .06, .10, but no .07 which is I believe the version I started groovedbells in... I think it might have been one of the things I neglected to backup prior to my recent format... Should be easy enough to restart in a similar embark area, although that DOES mean I'll have to kill one off to get back to canon (what there is of it >,<).

Mm. Unfortunate accidents.

On the other hand I could simply restart with a fort named groovedbells and you could pick out fresh dwarfs (guys who posted here first would of course get priority.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 06:07:58 am by Blade_Train3r »
Help Miqo grow!

Groovedbells

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 06:19:22 am »

I guess I'll take Doren then.

I do love me some elk.

Also, I vote for a new fort with the same name, but we get the same dwarves (depending on the crime?).

Edit: OHLOLDORENDIED

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 06:37:54 am »

Right, new fort up. I'll edit the first post with the adjusted Dwarven names and stats.

Oh yes. The new fort name is "Gooballs" due to me being unable to locate either grooved or bells in the massive list of nouns, adjectives and other miscellaneous languages. The official reason is that our engraver carved the name in while he was sober. :P
Help Miqo grow!

Groovedbells

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 08:03:56 pm »

Like before, i claim Ast, the same way as before.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 03:21:42 am »

Right, forgot to upload images last night (tbh mostly due to me being busy getting whupped in SC2 league matches). I'll do a couple of log entries and add images at another point :P
The first two posts are still valid, they've been edited a bit though.

23 Slate 1051
Sand, sand and more sand! I hope we get a glass-maker at some point because it looks like they'll have plenty to work with. I'll never get this stuff out of my beard. We did find some rock as we dug down - even a couple of garnet veins. Since Randall's serving absolutely no purpose as a carpenter I've told her to take up jeweling as a hobby.

3 Felsite 1051
Flame Muffin came up to me today with a complaint. Apparently Ast has been hanging around in her workshop, watching her while she works. She told me it was putting her off - something about those "beady rat eyes" freaking her out.

Considering Muffin has more muscles in one arm than Ast has in his entire body, I wonder why she doesn't just kick him out?

I believe Randall is going a bit soft in the head. I caught her lying down outside, in the middle of the day. When I asked her what she was doing she said she was "enjoying the sun."
As long as she doesn't come complaining to me when her skin is singed off.

1 Hematite
We have a basic dormitory set up, and most of our furniture has been moved to the dining room. A well has been set up as well for emergencies such as a loss of booze supply. Good thing too - summer has arrived. By Limar, I thought we were in hell before but stepping outside is like walking into a forge fire.

On the bright side, we're making good use of all our rock. Traders always fall for "locally made goods" even if they're just useless toys and jewelry.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:34:04 am by Blade_Train3r »
Help Miqo grow!

Groovedbells

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 03:49:22 am »

So am I dead?

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 04:38:41 am »

Nope, but unfortunately nothing much has happened with our resident ranger aside from "being accosted by terrible vermin" lately (probably leftover fleas from the elk). I've named him "Omnigrue" Tamolzuban.

The names are up top, but due to my image hosting issues I haven't got their summary screens up yet :/
Help Miqo grow!

Groovedbells
Pages: [1] 2 3