Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxies Emulator  (Read 24043 times)

Pathos

Star Wars Galaxies Emulator
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:28:18 am »

Star Wars Galaxies Emulator
Install Guide
New Player Guide

Basically, a sandbox MMO based off pre-New Game Experience Star Wars Galaxies. That WAS a brilliant game.

Anyone interested? Apparently you can't use torrented CDs, but it doesn't say why. (You need all the original files for them to use the models from etc.) I think I may have lost my "Total Experience" CDs, too, which is a bit annoying.

EDIT: Character planner in case you need it / want to have a look.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:55:58 am by Pathos »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Star Wars Galaxies Emulator
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:29:49 am »

Bit outdated now, even if it was good at the time.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:04:13 am »

The EMU is very fun. The reasons you can't use a torrent are a bit sketchy, but have their roots in the wording of the TOS that was in place during the time before NGE. Some say that regardless of the old TOS, any updates to it are retroactive, so their reasoning is flawed... I'd rather not get involved in that argument, but that's what I know of the reasons behind the no torrents rule, and why you need the game CDs from the old times, and not just use the online client download that SOE have up on their site.

The game is exceedingly fun, I played it a few months back, though there were many things still not implemented, such as creature handler, and various other crafting and job related things. I imagine I'd go back, if things have gotten closer to the level the original game was at.

Pathos

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 06:06:30 am »

Is it possible to use a torrented install, though? Just not ethical or whatever?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 06:07:12 am »

That's what I was wondering.  You can't use a torrent or you "can't" use a torrent?
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:19:05 am »

From what I understand you can use anything as long as it's a full copy of the game.  They just will ban you if they find out you aren't using one of their arbitrarily selected authorized sources.  Specifically the retail disc based version of the gane with all expansion packs created before SOE altered their TOS to specifically prohibit emulators. They've basically just decided to arbitrarily exclude a large group of potential users with a rule they can't even reliably enforce.

At least that's the way I've seen it.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 08:49:06 am »

So I could install my old SWG raw game and jump to lightspeed and that's all I need? How many people actually play on the server?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 08:57:53 am »

From what I understand you can use anything as long as it's a full copy of the game.  They just will ban you if they find out you aren't using one of their arbitrarily selected authorized sources.  Specifically the retail disc based version of the gane with all expansion packs created before SOE altered their TOS to specifically prohibit emulators. They've basically just decided to arbitrarily exclude a large group of potential users with a rule they can't even reliably enforce.
As I understand it, they won't ban anybody. And their plan wasnt to exclude anybody.

At some point SOE decided to alter their TOS, because they finally noticed their legal department screwed up. But, alas, too late, there was enough room in which legal emulation could be performed.

So now the people running the emulated server(s) just tell you you need a source of game data that comes from before the TOS change, just to be in the clear. But they couldnt care less, they just have to tell you. I'm pretty sure it's not even really their responsibility to enforce it, but I'm not even an internet lawyer, so I couldnt tell you that.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:02:34 am »

So the part where they say they'll ban you if they somehow catch you using one of the unapproved sources us a lie?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 09:06:07 am »

Well, I wouldn't call it a lie. If you told them in an open forum post (maybe even an email...) that you use an unapproved source, they still HAVE to ban you, if I understand it correctly.

Out of curiosity, as with most MMO clients, arent their legal online (even torrent) sources for a version of the client one needs for this?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 09:07:14 am »

There's a legal online client but it uses the most recent TOS

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 09:11:42 am »

Yeah, I know, but that's not what I meant.

I'm not so fresh with SWG versions, so I don't know which number we're looking for, BUT:

Usually, on different sites, the clients of numerous MMOs are archived in their complete version history. At least, if said version ever was legally available for download or on a magazine CD. ie, I can easily still get Mondain's Legacy Clients -completely legal- off the net, even if [whoever runs ultima online now] just has their most recent client.

So basically, all you need is a version number and some google fu.

Also, if you torrent the correct client illegaly, I'm 99% sure it's not discernable from the CD version, once it's installed ;)

Pathos

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 09:28:32 am »

Torrenting it now, then. Fun times.

Pathos

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 09:33:39 am »

Anyway, I don't know how anyone can say the game looks out of date, really:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sure, it's no Crysis, but I wouldn't say it's ugly. That's off the emulator itself, by the by.

Spoiler: Another One (click to show/hide)

Character development is the best part of the game. Character builder in case you want to have a look.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 11:39:36 am »

So, how do I create an account with which to login?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10