Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rotating Workshops  (Read 639 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Rotating Workshops
« on: August 12, 2007, 06:02:00 am »

Hi!

Maybe I am missing something obvious, but as far as I can tell, there is no means to rotate a workshop, or is there?

If there isn't I would suggest adding it. Of course, there are only four different states for the workshop layout (90 degrees angle), but even that would allow for some creativity (I am thinking especially about the jeweller, as well as the mill).

The fact that no one seems to have suggested this thus far makes me wonder if I simply missed it, though (the wiki doesn't mention it).

Deathworks

Re: Rotating Workshops
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 06:42:00 am »

No, You can't rotate them (As far as I'm aware too) but it's a good point, espicaly if you want a completely walled fort. It can be annoying having to put in them on a specific side of cooridor just to make them fit.

Also I think it would be kinda cool if you had two jewlers workshops and instead of having them lke this

00[]
00[]<--Workshop one
00[]
00[]
00[]<-Workshop two
00[]

have them like this

00[][]00
00[][]00
00[][]00

Its just my view but I would like it like that lol   :D

warfs are fearless...unless they are interupted by a deer.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »

Seconded. Rotating workshops would make my day a lot better, not to mention my fortresses. And I can't imagine it being difficult to implement. Definitely worth it.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

Thirded.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »

This is an excellent idea, and one step closer to more customizable workshops.

PTTG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.2funnyguys.com
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:20:00 pm »

Hear Hear! Just now I was thinking that rotation would be great.
A HREF="http://www.2funnyguys.com">www.2funnyguys.com

,".,''.,,''..,'',.'',,.''
.'',G''(Im in ur fotrez)
''.,.,(steln ur babyz:0)

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »

I've wanted to rotate workshops ever since I had a jeweler go crazy after building a workshop and getting trapped inside - the door was on the right, and at that point I didn't know about workshop blocking.

In terms of programming, this is probably one of those problems that is deceptively hard to implement, hence why it hasn't come around yet.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »

Hi!

Well, as usual, only Toady One can say if it is difficult to implement or not. Depending on how workshops and the rest of the environment are programmed, this might be very easy to implement, but it could just as well require a total rewrite of parts of the engine.

However, with the addition of the z-axis, there are chances that if it was indeed very difficult/far-reaching, that the affected routines are slated for checking/rewriting anyways.

But that is something we can't know. So let's just hope for the best.

Deathworks

Axehilt_VuP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

The only concern is that the different workshops were presumably shaped differently for a reason (making them slightly more interesting to place since they're not all the same.)  If we were able to rotate them that'd make it even less important and possibly call into question why the buildings are different at all (the only reason left would be so that they can be told apart visually; which is actually yet another reason rotating workshops might not be a great idea - it might make it that much more difficult to tell what is what.)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

Hi!

Personally, I don't think the different shapes are that much meta-game. I find that the shapes make sense, as in "I can imagine that a cook or brewer would want their workshop to look like this". And the blocked tiles also make sense. You simply can't walk through destilation stuff without breaking it.

And the different shapes don't add anything to my gameplay, sorry. In my latest fortress, I have switched to the following setup:

code:

##########################...
#www##www##www##www##www##...
#...dd...dd...dd...dd...du...
##########################...

. free
d door
u channel
# wall
w workshop

This way, I don't need to bother with the different shapes when preparing the layout and concern myself with the much more important issue of placing shops that go together next to each other (like butcher and tanner).

Well, that's the way I see it.

Deathworks

Axehilt_VuP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 11:51:00 am »

I've started placing workshops in a similar manner.  In that regard they definitely do have an impact on gameplay, but I do agree they don't make things more fun.