Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFVDIG Vein digging hack help  (Read 6367 times)

Moltar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DFVDIG Vein digging hack help
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:22:04 pm »

Im using the dfvdig.exe hack to try to dig out a vein of lignite but i cannot figure out how.
Im running the hack at the same time as dwarf fortress.
The hack says that its activated and running but it says "Cursor not active. Point the cursor at a vein."
Ive tried using the designation cursor with no results. I cant figure out this thing.
Help!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFVDIG Vein digging hack help
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:57:29 pm »

Making a Wild Ass Guess, since I haven't used dfvdig yet, I suspect that since it digs out a vein of the material specified, it probably needs you to use the loo(k) cursor, so that it can determine which material you're after?

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 09:14:45 pm »

Correct.  Use k or dig designation and hover over (but don't designate) the vein, and it selects all *connected* undug and unrevealed tiles.

If you interrupt the vein, such as cutting it in half, you must do each half seperate.

Also, it only works on actual veins.  I haven't tried with lignite, but I know it doesn't work on, say, selecting all gabbro.
It works on all metals (including special stuff, but not over z-layers), bituminous coal, and gems.

It does not work on stuff like kimberlite.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:35:49 pm »

I had it mine out kimberlite, actually; since it shows up in veins, it may be classified as such.  I now use dfVdig out of convenience to avoid the hassle of constantly designating areas to mine.

Note that it does not work on
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and you have to be careful when using it on veins that contact magma.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:00:13 pm »

I didn't even know it worked in 'k' (look) mode, I use it in designate for digging mode because it never occurred to me to try anything else.  Position the X cursor where you want to dig - convenient in (d) mode because it is mouse aware, right click to move the cursor - and run the utility.  I have a shortcut for it on my windows toolbar so I don't have to hunt for it.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 12:26:03 pm »

DFHacks get cursor position function works with almost every cursor in the game. And funmetal isn't seen as a vein by the game.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 12:40:16 pm »

There is also a version that will designate stairs to access veins across z-levels.  Magnetite is not technically a vein (it's a cluster), so dfvdig won't work...

Be warned that it will designate all tiles of the vein, even tiles that are known damp or hot.  You might want to de-select those tiles unless you really know what you're doing, as those tiles won't trigger the "encountered damp/hot stone" job cancellation...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:09:15 pm »

There is also a version that will designate stairs to access veins across z-levels.  Magnetite is not technically a vein (it's a cluster), so dfvdig won't work...

Be warned that it will designate all tiles of the vein, even tiles that are known damp or hot.  You might want to de-select those tiles unless you really know what you're doing, as those tiles won't trigger the "encountered damp/hot stone" job cancellation...

It digs magnetite for me.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 06:28:00 pm »

It digs magnetite for me.

Same here.  I'll have to test it with bauxite to see if it digs it out as well.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:12:34 am »

Hrmmm...  There was something I was trying to mine out, and it wouldn't let me.  Maybe it was an area of flux stone...  I could have sworn it was an ore, though...  *shrug*  I am happy to be wrong on this matter!  Get the info out, I say!
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:44:02 pm »

it does not work on layer stones it will work on anything else, even entire z-level orthoclase deposits (seriously, an entire z-level of orthoclase)
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.