Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Halo: Reach  (Read 16063 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Halo: Reach
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:27:56 pm »

So it came out today/yesterday/daycycle.
Meh.
Couldn't get it, what about you guys?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Halo: Reach
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 09:33:01 pm »

So this game came out but I don't know anything about it.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:35:36 pm »

I still don't know why they thought it was a good idea to move the aim reticule down to 1/3rd the screen.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:42:36 pm »

To be honest, it looks like just about every single one before it. I don't keep up with console games anymore.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »

I'll probably end up playing Marathon in, uh, celebration?
I read that as 'playing in Marathon', and I was curious as to why you would go to Greece to play Halo.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:23:08 pm »

Theres not really much to say other than it's still very much halo. If you like the other games you'll love this. The campaign is pretty good, firefight is much better than ODST. You can do split screen with 2 people per screen, but system link a couple of xboxes together and you've got the best way to play. The only really annoying thing is that the space level that's in all the trailers is the best bit, but way too short.

Forge mode and custom games are awesome. You can just build whole levels in forge. I've had awesome fun trying to build a pair of spaceships floating in the sky with teleporters and mancannons for capture the flag. It's way more customisable than halo 3 from what I can remember of that.

The custom armour thing that's the new big deal seems really cool at first, but because of the way it's set up it seems like a lot of people will end up looking rather similar, it's still a nice touch though.

It's still kinda lame that they feel the need to remove things each game. Those cool brute motorcycle things are out, replaced with an elite hover bike that basically does the same thing but not as cool. The halo 3 helicopter thingies are out, with a new much slower version to replace it. In fact, most of the new weapons and vehicles seem to be replacements for ones from the old games.

Erm.. what else? You can't dual wield any more, the armour abilities are really fun (jetpack is the best IMHO followed closely by hologram) and the old pistol from halo 1 is back... as overpowered as ever.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 10:32:24 pm »

Well, it seems the only things the Halo players wanted are done, except playing as a stark ordinary marine.

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:46:09 pm »

I, for one, loved it. I just got back from a friend's house, where we were playing it for five-ish hours. I don't know much about the campaign yet, but I can say that the new Forge is very well-done and very much so an improvement over the original.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 12:30:49 am »

Theres not really much to say other than it's still very much halo. If you like the other games you'll love this. The campaign is pretty good, firefight is much better than ODST. You can do split screen with 2 people per screen, but system link a couple of xboxes together and you've got the best way to play. The only really annoying thing is that the space level that's in all the trailers is the best bit, but way too short.

Forge mode and custom games are awesome. You can just build whole levels in forge. I've had awesome fun trying to build a pair of spaceships floating in the sky with teleporters and mancannons for capture the flag. It's way more customisable than halo 3 from what I can remember of that.

The custom armour thing that's the new big deal seems really cool at first, but because of the way it's set up it seems like a lot of people will end up looking rather similar, it's still a nice touch though.

It's still kinda lame that they feel the need to remove things each game. Those cool brute motorcycle things are out, replaced with an elite hover bike that basically does the same thing but not as cool. The halo 3 helicopter thingies are out, with a new much slower version to replace it. In fact, most of the new weapons and vehicles seem to be replacements for ones from the old games.

Erm.. what else? You can't dual wield any more, the armour abilities are really fun (jetpack is the best IMHO followed closely by hologram) and the old pistol from halo 1 is back... as overpowered as ever.

Perhaps the reason all the new stuff is replaced with old stuff... is because Reach is before even the first Halo.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 12:33:49 am »

Yeah, some games do that, but making the game less fun because of the story when the series has already proven it can be better is just bad.

That said not many games do that and I've never played Reach so I don't know if it suffers for it. I just wanted to say that because why not?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 12:37:44 am »

It seems like an incredible throwback to Halo 1. Specifically, I saw people using the pistols - effectively mind you - several times to score kills.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 12:42:59 am »

I'm not really a Halo fan myself (I prefer Marathon), but I can see why the devs would not use the Really Cool Things from later in the story in a game where those things haven't even been invented yet.  Leads to too many annoyed players and odd questions if they're used.

And here we have one of the problems with prequels: introducing really cool things in them leads to people wondering why they didn't appear later, using really cool things from later leads to a messed up story...
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 12:45:12 am »

I am not partial to halo but I know back at home my brother has it so I will check it out next time I go back.
Thank you based dwarf.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 12:50:43 am »

Well, it seems the only things the Halo players wanted are done, except playing as a stark ordinary marine.

GOD DAMN IT. Why won't they bloody do this yet? I've been wanting to do such a thing since the first came out and it sounds like many others also do. ODST was a start (albeit, a very, very, VERY early start) but it still held the feeling of "I'm immortal". If they ever do just do the vanilla marine thing, I might even be interested enough to buy the what-ever-generation-Xbox-it-comes-with.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 12:55:49 am »

But then, if they make the whole play-as-a-Marine-thing they'd have to give you the ability to command Marines and shit.

I think it'd be fun, but I don't think they'll ever make one :(
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16