Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Anyone else get mocked by their wife over DF?  (Read 5828 times)

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone else get mocked by their wife over DF?
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:40:40 am »

So we were sitting last night, having had supper, and I was on my lappy whilst the wife watched some generic crime thriller.
Eventually she comes over and sits next to me, staring at DF for about five minutes.

"What is that?"
"It's a game called Dwarf Fortress."
"Called what?"
"Dwarf Fortress."
"..... and what do you do in it?"
"Well, I'm in charge of a small band of Dwarves and I basically help them build a fortress, grow crops..........(I went in to a looooong explanation)"
"ROFLMAO!!!! What the f**k kind of game is that?!? F**ing Dwarves?! WTF!?" and other expletives abound.
She then preceeded to try and hit random buttons to see what would happen. It's hard not to explode and scream at the woman you love. I had to try so hard. :(

The wife now takes great pleasure in telling her friends, all, her friends, what exactly it is I do in my spare time and she manages to make it sound really, really bad.. :|

Anyone else have an unsympathetic wife?

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else get mocked by their wife over DF?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:43:40 am »

My wife plays TF2 every hour of the waking day, so it's all good.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:44:22 am »

Swap?

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:48:31 am »

Not on your life. ;)
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:01:26 am »

LOL

My wife is NOT a gamer at all but thinks it's 'cute' that I am making a fort with my 'little dwarves'.  Of course she good-naturedly makes it sound like I'm a little kid...  Sigh... I wasn't really going for 'cute' in my marriage... but I'll settle for it.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:05:24 am »

LOL

My wife is NOT a gamer at all but thinks it's 'cute' that I am making a fort with my 'little dwarves'.  Of course she good-naturedly makes it sound like I'm a little kid...  Sigh... I wasn't really going for 'cute' in my marriage... but I'll settle for it.

I get this from my fiancee. The weird thing is, she's currently spending several hours a day planning our Lord of the Rings Themed New Zealand Honeymoon, so go figure.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:07:12 am »

Mines of Moria or Helms Deep?

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:17:09 am »

She calls it "a doll house for boys." I don't argue.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 09:50:04 am »

LOL

I get this from my fiancee. The weird thing is, she's currently spending several hours a day planning our Lord of the Rings Themed New Zealand Honeymoon, so go figure.

Oh hell. Trust me. I live there. It gets boring and overrated. Very. Quickly.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 09:52:22 am »

haha sucks for you guys i am not married so i don't have to worry about it

*sobs quietly*

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 10:12:18 am »

I don't have a wife either...I'm in highschool...

Well, dwarves are on the short side, right?

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:19:45 am »

This happens several times a day...

Wife:  What'cha doing?
Me:  Building a dwarf fortress.
Wife:  <snicker>

...I'm not sure what she find so amusing about the exchange.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 10:29:39 am »

My wife doesn't have the patience to play the game, she's not into hyper complex games.  Unless I'm showing it to her through a visualizer she really can't picture what the fort is supposed to look like.  However, she loves the stories that develop from events in the game and I get a lot of enjoyment out of sharing them with her.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:30:21 am »

My wife enjoys hearing about the exploits of mine and others dwarves, and shows interest when I am showing her my latest contraptions or whatever, however she does not play the game, as she says it looks too complicated and has too much micromanagement for her taste.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Jerkald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Polish Games
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 11:36:15 am »

My wife enjoys hearing about the exploits of mine and others dwarves, and shows interest when I am showing her my latest contraptions or whatever, however she does not play the game, as she says it looks too complicated and has too much micromanagement for her taste.

Oddly, I think mine just humors me when I mention the amazing things that happen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5