Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XVII - It all ends in flames...  (Read 53453 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Beginner's Mafia XVII - It all ends in flames...
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:31 pm »

Initial post info lovingly stolen from previous BM games.

Welcome to Beginner's Mafia! This is the seventeenth run of our Beginner's Mafia series. In Beginner's Mafia, you will be pitted up with a Town IC (Inexperienced Challenged) who will help you play the game, and will be just as clueless, if not more so, about the setup as you, and a Mafia IC, who will be helping out the Mafia.

In Mafia, you are divided into two parts: Town and Mafia:
If you are Town, your goal is to lynch the Mafia. You do this by convincing others that one of the group is scum, and getting enough votes on them to lynch them.  The Town does not know who else is Town.
If you are Mafia, your goal is to kill off the Town until there is an equal number of them to you by getting them to lynch other Town or by killing them. You are given a kill each Night to kill any player in the game.  All the Mafia members know each other, and can communicate privately.

Each Day, everyone votes to lynch a player.  Vote for a player by posting their name in red.  You may change your vote at any time, remove your vote, or vote for No Lynch.  Each Night, you send in your actions. The cycle continues until one side wins. Days are 72 hours and nights are 24 hours. Weekends count for zero hours.

Game rules:
You may not PM other players. The mafia will have a place to talk to themselves.
Never edit your posts, even to fix typos!  If you make a mistake, just double post- it's permitted here.  I recommend using the preview button every time you post.
Never quote your role PM or any other PM sent to you by the mod.
If you need more time to discuss, you may ask for an extension.  If 1/3 of players ask for one, the day will be extended by 24 hours.
Never underestimate your importance, and always play to win!

In this setup, there are the possibility of extra roles. These roles are Cop and Doctor for Town, and Roleblocker and Godfather for Mafia.
A Cop inspects any player at Night. They are told that player's alignment.
A Doctor may protect any player at Night. This stops that player from being killed.
A Roleblocker stops an extra role from using an action. This stops Doctors and Cops but does nothing for Townies.
A Godfather makes Cops get Town for their alignment, instead of Mafia.

There is a 50% chance for any of these roles to show up. It is possible to end up with no extra roles.

For a link to our Tutorial here at B12: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39338.0

If you're still confused, join anyhow and we'll teach you!

And if you have any other questions, just ask.

Extensions require support from at least 33% of the players.  You may oppose extensions as well, which cancels out an extension request.  For example, if there were five players, with two requesting and one opposing, there would be no extension.  (2-1 = 1 of 5, which is 20%)

Please bold requests/opposition to extensions, or Mod/my name if you want to ask me a question in-thread.  (IE: Mod: I have a question!)

Players:
1. ragnarok97071 NativeForeigner
2. Flintus10
3. Mindmaker Townsperson
4. Elegy Jetsquirrel Townsperson
5. Ottofar Townsperson
6. KaminaSquirtle Townsperson
7. Spade KaminaSquirtle Mk 2
8. Azure Sepulchre
9. Murphy

Town IC:
Vector

Mafia IC:
SirBayer
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:15:22 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XVII
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:57:05 pm »

Good luck with this game, may it be a great one!

FYI, Mindmaker stopped by the discussion thread recently asking about the next BM; it would be a nice courtesy if you could drop him a PM letting him know it's on.

Could anyone tell me, if there is another beginners mafia coming up anytime soon?
I'm eager to learn.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:05:37 pm »

Good catch, and done.

Everyone:  If you know of someone who might want to try it out, go ahead and send them the link!  We're always looking for fresh blood.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:15:44 pm »

All right, I'll probably pass a link to Dr. Ug.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 09:18:02 pm »

Eh, might as well try it. I'm in, I guess.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:10:29 pm »

Unless one of the better players requests it, I'll roll as one of the ICs. Which one makes little difference to me.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:12:29 pm »

Please IC scum.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:13:04 pm »

Given recent history, yeah, that'd be for the best.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 07:58:27 am »

Bayer:  Works for me- you're in.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 08:15:30 am »

I'll give this a shot count me in.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:40:16 am »

Thank you for the invitation.
I'd like to joind and find out if mafia is the right game for me.

However could anyone give me some information on the usage of smack talk here? General rules, what is allowed, what is prohibited, general strategy etc.

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 11:44:33 am »

I'd like to play if possible
You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 11:52:28 am »

However could anyone give me some information on the usage of smack talk here? General rules, what is allowed, what is prohibited, general strategy etc.

Just read some past games... There aren't really any rules for or against smack talk, so long as it's not nasty.

Actually, here.  These are the best games we've played on the board.  If you read through a few, you should be able to get the general idea.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 11:55:42 am »

Mindmaker: Generally, there's a fair amount of back and forth going on, with smack talk making up a good part of it.  Getting people riled up is a good way to get them to betray their true loyalties I'd suggest reading a couple of the old games here for examples.  As far as rules, the first post contains pretty much everything you must know, and has a link to a tutorial for strategy.  Again, I recommend reading at least one old game to see the general flow of things.  And remember- it's only a game.

(Vector summed it up better)

All those inning are in the first post.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 12:30:03 pm »

Just read some past games... There aren't really any rules for or against smack talk, so long as it's not nasty.

Some of the smack talk seemed quite nasty.
Well I should constantly remind myself that it's just a game and I shouldn't take everything at face value (which I often do).

I just hope I don't get lynched first, like in any mafia related game I participated in real life.
Well, I can't blame them, I do look suspicious.
Fortunately, that factor is removed in a forum game (for the greater part) :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40