Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 127

Author Topic: Die2Nite  (Read 168772 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Die2Nite
« Reply #1455 on: November 25, 2010, 12:00:50 am »

Keeeeeys. I have them! Anyone wants them, PM me the name of the God of Blood. :P

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: November 25, 2010, 02:31:34 am »

Night two was projected to have something like 140-200 zombies. We had something like 91 defense.

So we struck upon a brilliant plan. If we all upgraded to hovels, at least some of us would get lucky and survive the brutal onslaught. I dutifully did my part, and even cut some extra boards for others. After that, there was nothing to do but wait...

Needless to say, we all died screaming deaths in our own homes that night. 150 zombies on night two is decidedly not cool.

Same in our town (incoming 120-140 zombies on night two, and we only had 44 defense due to fighting over which to build first, watchtower or workshop).

We finally managed to build the workshop in the early morning, but everybody was depressed and ready to suicide when they saw the estimate.

I posted the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rallying the citizenry with the power of !!SCIENCE!!, we built the Screaming Saws with an hour to spare before the attack. Almost everybody was drunk or drugged from the feverish frenzy of construction.

Zombie attack. As I predicted, 132 zombies attacked, 36 made it past the walls. 13 citizens died in their homes. I lied about having four chances out of five surviving - a third of the town died that night.

Now here I sit, one of the last four citizens alive in the Paralysed Hill of Bloody Tears on Day 5. One so-called "hero" ignored our pleas to help clean out the corpses and made a beeline for the bank, building a lvl-5 fort for himself and grabbing all the sheet metal and concrete blocks.

We laugh at him - he thinks himself secure in his 12-defense fort, he thinks he alone will survive to see tomorrow. We are too few to make a reliable estimate from the watchtower, but I still have my notes.

If none of us four choose to die outside the walls, there will be at least fifty zombies for every one of us.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: November 25, 2010, 03:44:03 am »

Now here I sit, one of the last four citizens alive in the Paralysed Hill of Bloody Tears on Day 5. One so-called "hero" ignored our pleas to help clean out the corpses and made a beeline for the bank, building a lvl-5 fort for himself and grabbing all the sheet metal and concrete blocks.

We laugh at him - he thinks himself secure in his 12-defense fort, he thinks he alone will survive to see tomorrow. We are too few to make a reliable estimate from the watchtower, but I still have my notes.

Makes you realise how he probably got the hero tag in the first place....
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1458 on: November 25, 2010, 03:47:14 am »

Actually it won't help him at all. If all of them die in the last attack the 'last man standing' is awarded randomly.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: November 25, 2010, 03:53:10 am »

Actually it won't help him at all. If all of them die in the last attack the 'last man standing' is awarded randomly.

In this case sure, but the last town might have been a little different.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1460 on: November 25, 2010, 03:59:35 am »

Yea possibly.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: November 25, 2010, 08:31:15 am »

True. I've been a little wary of him from day one (who picks the Guardian class?) and my suspicions have been confirmed.

I know. That's why we were laughing at him. The last attack was 167 zombies, so the next will probably be 200+. We took out every single defensive item from the bank, defense is now sitting at 107. If we didn't have a piston-lock I would have saved AP to make sure the gates were open. I want to make sure the four of us die in this attack, so we all have equal chances at LMS. His house has 12 defense, mine has 8 and the other two have 7, so it's not like he has a huge advantage over us.

In the attack the previous night, a few people panicked and built hovels instead of concentrating on building the Great Pit (we would have had enough planks for it too). One particularly bright individual stole a couple of mattresses from the bank (all the while loudly proclaiming that he made a mistake while transferring items around) to boost his hovel to 5 defense. Didn't help, 7 zombies ate him. Whereas I only had a tent, and I lucked out with a single zombie. Once they're past the walls, assigned zombies per person looks very random.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 08:36:26 am by Langdon »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: November 25, 2010, 08:45:36 am »

I Sit there, in my home, waiting...
The sun passes slowly over head, before beginning to dip towards the Horizon to the West. Pulling myself from my chair I reach over to the door and push it open, the brighter light of the setting sun blinds me momentarily before my eyes finally adjust. Looking out over those that still wonder around the town I see them stopping before one another, open their mouths as if to say something the closing them before moving onto what ever business they had thought to do for this final day, patting each other on the shoulder as the pass. I look into one of my Neighbor's homes, and I see him there, sitting on his chair with a large smile on his face, his eyes dead to the world and a dirty glass resting in his hand, I remember hearing that he was taking Cyanide today, lucky bastard, it was the only one and he got to it first...

With a heavy sigh I climb the ladder to the watch town for the Umpteenth time today alone, up there I find Verve, setting the Binoculars down before noticing me, lifting them back up to hand them over...

"The numbers still haven't changed," he muttered as he lent back against the post of the tower, "I don't know why we keep looking, expecting something different. We are not going to live, there are somewhere between 1400 and 1500 and the walls are barely strong enough or high enough to stop even 1200 of them..."

I shake my head as I pull the viewing goggles from my eyes, they sting from the sand in the air and the sent of decay following it, I rub them but it does nothing...

"Look," Verve says suddenly, "I know we may not make it, heck I doubt even one of us would. But just know, we have survived 15 full days her in The Heartless Foothill of Crows. Its an amazing feat, towns dot out over the radio as the nights pass, some can't even get it together for more then a day and we have lasted 15 of them..." He chuckled, which caused me to chuckle. Though my throat is getting dry, and not a drop left in the well...

"Well, if I remember right" I finally say to him, "Soon its your American Thanksgiving's Day, being the Aussie I am, I have never had one but the story sounds about right, we let these Savages in to join us in a meal, or have us for a meal, while we celebrate why we are thankful..."

The laughter erupts over something that wasn't even funny to begin with echos out from the tower and over the town and desert beyond it. But it matters not, for I am thankful, I am thankful to have survived so long with folks like these, and I hope in another life, we can work together again. Who knows, most likely we will...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 08:59:47 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: November 25, 2010, 09:17:16 am »

Yea possibly.

You could check his last town's death history.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: November 25, 2010, 09:29:00 am »

Yea possibly.

You could check his last town's death history.

Only one previous town, he was one of 8 "eaten in town" on 5th and last day.

Looks like he just got lucky then, and decided not to rely on luck this time.

I remember hearing that he was taking Cyanide today, lucky bastard, it was the only one and he got to it first...

I don't really get why people commit suicide instead of waiting to die during the attack - if you die by walking outside the gates or by taking poison, the current day isn't counted when awarding soul points and distinctions.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:31:35 am by Langdon »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: November 25, 2010, 03:29:26 pm »

My towns actually doing pretty good:

Day 2 and we have:
Workshop
Portal Lock
Armor Plating
Watchtower
Great Wall Strengthening
Barbs
Great Pit

And a good chunk of the resources we need for the factory, which will be built first thing in the morning.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: November 25, 2010, 05:44:11 pm »

How do you see who got hero when a town dies? Mine finally succumbed, but I can't tell who got the award.

Think I'll wait until Monday to join a new one. Can't ensure I'll really be on the next few days.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: November 25, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »

I LIVED!!! There is 6 of us remaining... The town is in turmoil!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: November 25, 2010, 05:59:01 pm »

How do you see who got hero when a town dies? Mine finally succumbed, but I can't tell who got the award.

Think I'll wait until Monday to join a new one. Can't ensure I'll really be on the next few days.

Look at your soul page, the plus symbol next to the town name expands and shows you the complete list, including the hero

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: November 25, 2010, 07:21:26 pm »

Haven't read the thread, but I'd just like to butt in and say this game is awesome.

That is all.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 127