Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 127

Author Topic: Die2Nite  (Read 169165 times)

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
Re: Die2Nite
« Reply #1680 on: December 05, 2010, 06:12:22 pm »

Hmph, I died from infection  ::)

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 05, 2010, 06:38:35 pm »

Day 6 in The Town That Will Not Die.

152 zombies attack. Between the Great Pit free upgrade and a Lure, we had 155 defense. Only two die, one citizen stuck outside the walls (we closed the gates at 22:58, waiting for him to come back online) and another inactive (who apparently drank his water ration on the first day, but never moved since). Our remaining infected guy survives the night (the other one was the guy who died outside the gate) - he has been infected since Day 3, and this is the third night he has been lucky.

There are now 10 citizens in town, the exact amount needed to put the town in Chaos mode.

Chaos mode, and yet nobody is looting the bank. The lone twisted plank in the bank that I picked up yesterday stayed there until someone suggests on the forum that someone should take it and build a hovel. I myself still have my starting tent (although it's a pretty blinged out tent with kitchen and lots of storage).

And now they're talking of trying for the workshop. Workshop! on day 6! With 10 people left!

I can't stay online long enough to help with the expedition, but I wish the crazy bastards godspeed.

Edit: Welp, between 275 and 375 zombies tonight, against a max of 180 def. Luck's gotta run out sometime. Still, Day 6 is the longest I've seen a town live, even from beta.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 06:50:03 pm by Langdon »

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: December 06, 2010, 12:41:39 am »

I just noticed Epoqs response to the pricing discussion thread, I do think that perhaps it would be more worth buying hero time after reading it, perhaps I can get 6 months for christmas...

I have to point THIS out though:
"Also, the beauty of Die2Nite compared to other online games is that you can play for FREE, 100% of the time and still enjoy the best bit about it - the community. (We love you guys - you MAKE the game as good as it is!)"

With the world forums only allowing heroes, this is pretty much BS.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:12:14 am by Kitsunin »

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 06, 2010, 05:47:20 am »

I just noticed Epoqs response to the pricing discussion thread, I do think that perhaps it would be more worth buying hero time after reading it, perhaps I can get 6 months for christmas...

I have to point THIS out though:
"Also, the beauty of Die2Nite compared to other online games is that you can play for FREE, 100% of the time and still enjoy the best bit about it - the community. (We love you guys - you MAKE the game as good as it is!)"

With the world forums only allowing heroes, this is pretty much BS.

Yeah, right now the community within each town is scarcely better than a 5-man random dungeon PUG in WoW. i.e. you're a bunch of people thrown together for a while - you know that you probably won't see these losers again, and there is no real way to become well-known in the community for being a hero or a griefer. Sure, you keep saving people who get stuck in the desert, but even if individual players remember you, nobody in the next town will (not even if they look at your distinctions).

And paying for hero status doesn't seem all that worth it - the small number of heroic actions you can do that residents can't, you can only use once per town. And most of the time they don't make a difference - I use my heroic rescue to pull someone back to town, and the next day they just walk out and get trapped again. Building the Kitchen and other upgrades will take needed AP from the town (and if someone notices you're building up defenses, in the eyes of the town you're no better than a low-down hovel builder). I could see paying for Hero if I can get five friends who are also Heroes, as most of the hero actions are vastly more useful when used in concert on expeditions (and it's hard to coordinate expeditions unless you're using some external system like vent or msn - and I don't feel like giving my MSN out to random people I won't ever see after a few days).

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: December 06, 2010, 05:57:26 am »

Yeah, one thing I know, there's no way in HELL I'm buying hero time until I have 100 soul points, that'd just be a waste of money.  I don't want to until I'm in a meta coalition, though I might, but being able to get into one would be hard without having access to the world forums.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 06, 2010, 06:16:14 am »

Yeah, one thing I know, there's no way in HELL I'm buying hero time until I have 100 soul points, that'd just be a waste of money.  I don't want to until I'm in a meta coalition, though I might, but being able to get into one would be hard without having access to the world forums.

As someone who has bought hero time I agree it was a waste of money. I'm sure it will be great in a good town but otherwise I'm losing days to random inactives.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 06, 2010, 06:21:29 am »

My town easily survived the last attack and looks like it'll be pretty successful, I died of my infection though.  :'(

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 06, 2010, 06:52:15 am »

As someone who has bought hero time I agree it was a waste of money. I'm sure it will be great in a good town but otherwise I'm losing days to random inactives.

The concept of "wasting hero time" in a shitty town means good people will suicide early (day 2 or 3) if things are not going their way (i.e. if workshop hasn't been built). Making said town even shittier, as all that will be left are inactives and new players who don't know better. Sucks, but that's what we get for playing in the early days when the game community hasn't had a chance to settle down and build up a base of good players.

In my case, Intimidating Slum (The Town That Will Not Die) lost a lot of active players on Day 2, when it was clear workshop wouldn't be built soon, including one of our three heroes. I myself did not pay for my hero time (won LMS on the 666th day at end of beta) but I can see how staying in this town can be seen as a waste, when I could be in a much more efficient town, using my Scavenger powers in well-run expeditions. Indeed, I would probably had suicided on Day 2 as well if I hadn't decided that I would stop playing the game entirely once I'd used up my hero days.

I was hoping some of the first-time players in this town would learn something from us beta veterans, but thinking back,  all they can see are a bunch of depressed people going off into the desert, punching zombies, calling for help or stomping out of the gates to die.

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 06, 2010, 07:00:06 am »

The concept of "wasting hero time" in a shitty town means good people will suicide early (day 2 or 3) if things are not going their way (i.e. if workshop hasn't been built). Making said town even shittier, as all that will be left are inactives and new players who don't know better. Sucks, but that's what we get for playing in the early days when the game community hasn't had a chance to settle down and build up a base of good players.

In my case, Intimidating Slum (The Town That Will Not Die) lost a lot of active players on Day 2, when it was clear workshop wouldn't be built soon, including one of our three heroes. I myself did not pay for my hero time (won LMS on the 666th day at end of beta) but I can see how staying in this town can be seen as a waste, when I could be in a much more efficient town, using my Scavenger powers in well-run expeditions. Indeed, I would probably had suicided on Day 2 as well if I hadn't decided that I would stop playing the game entirely once I'd used up my hero days.

I was hoping some of the first-time players in this town would learn something from us beta veterans, but thinking back,  all they can see are a bunch of depressed people going off into the desert, punching zombies, calling for help or stomping out of the gates to die.
I'm not that bad, myself, I never abandon my towns.  I even had someone say they were really glad I was in their town and another make a topic titled *Hugs Kitsunin* when he thought he was going to die  :P 
Of course those were pretty much the only active people in town, and thanks to that I died of infection on the second day...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 06, 2010, 07:08:37 am »

I've not abandoned my town, although I'm not as active as I would be in a 'good' one (which just adds to the problem) however I also didn't really care to avoid eating the tasty bones that made me infected. Which isn't exactly town positive.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: December 06, 2010, 01:32:40 pm »

Game is out of open beta!  Register your account using: http://www.die2nite.com?ref=hairrorist
to give me goodies!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: December 06, 2010, 02:11:09 pm »

Nonsense.

is the way to go.

Anyways, I remember who did well in my towns. And I have every intent of being in towns with them again. :P
Having a coalition is a huge help, and THAT is why you join crappy towns with hero time - so you can find people to recruit for your coalition.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1692 on: December 06, 2010, 02:12:29 pm »

Nonsense.

is the way to go.

Anyways, I remember who did well in my towns. And I have every intent of being in towns with them again. :P
Having a coalition is a huge help, and THAT is why you join crappy towns with hero time - so you can find people to recruit for your coalition.
When you move to a new town, post here and I'll join as well.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: December 06, 2010, 02:13:10 pm »

I will. It looks like my current town is going to last a LOT longer though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1694 on: December 06, 2010, 02:13:44 pm »

I'm in not rush.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 127