Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's Starve: Unreal World!  (Read 7844 times)

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Starve: Unreal World!
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:34:44 am »

Unreal world is a starvation simulation disguised as a roguelike. Set in the mystical and imaginary world of 'Finland' you are tasked with seeing just how quickly you can die in an unforgiving wilderness populated only by trees and red robed cultists who wish to beat your head in sacrifice you to Cthulhu or something.... Then again, I've never been one to read the plot of a game before I played it :P

More information is available at the Bay12 thread over here

With formalities out of the way, let's Begin!

Spoiler: Title Screen (click to show/hide)

Oh yes, the game's graphics seem to be supplemented by amazingly realistic life-like photos of... people dressed up like tribal Fins... To say the least I think it's odd, but in the two hours I've played it I really stopped noticing them.

Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)

Anyway I need a character! So I figured what better way to get a fun character than to ask Bay12 what they think I should play? Please, for your own sake don't come up with a character you might get attached to. It is very likely that even if they manage to live they will explode into a mess of gibs(From what little I've read, this is essentially what happens) at the end of the demo.

I won't bore you with choosing the face (because I have never even been able to find where the face you pick goes in-game, so it doesn't even matter) I will, however, need a name, a tribe (or random, random works too), a sex and what season you start off in. I'll only be able to see one season at a time since I'm in the demo, but a quick breakdown is as follows. In spring you have a lot of time to prepare for winter, but game seems to be scarce. In summer berries and mushrooms start to grow and towards the middle of summer(I'm assuming) you can start foraging for food. I've no clue what autumn is like, havn't played that much to check it out. Winter is of course very cold. If you're not bundled up you will start to get frostbite. It takes weeks to heal frostbite away and every day you put yourself back in the cold is another day it'll take for all of your frostbite to heal (let alone the extra frostbite you will get)

For more information on the game (including what each tribe does) check the wiki here.

P.S: Losing is fun!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Starve: Unreal World!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:21:28 pm »

Tim the Kiessalin, male, Fall.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:01:00 pm »

Love this game, will be watching with glee :D

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:03:57 pm »

Winter + Hurt, Helpless and Afraid is the only way to play :P
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:05:06 pm »

Agree with DJ, anything else is for pussies.

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:34:36 pm »

Unfortunately I can't play that scenario since this is only the demo version I have here. Definitely think that would be fun to play though.

Going with Sonerohi's suggestion. Choices in generating future characters will likely work out better, but I'm not too sure how I could stop mid generation to ask questions like where I should plop him down, so for now I will just pick that randomly/my self. In the future however I'll see what I can do. Without further ado lets get started!

Spoiler: A Hero is Born! (click to show/hide)

I just kept rerolling(like twice) here until I got a decent agility. It hasn't helped me before, but agility supposedly makes you better at dodging so maybe it'll keep the red cultists back. As for his phobia I've no clue how the phobia system works, but being afraid of open space sure sounds fun.

The fox one has a chance of making a fox appear or letting you find a fox's tracks. Honestly the most useful ritual I've found so far, so maybe this one won't starve... assuming they can kill a fox... As you can see in the screen shot, the origin of fire just increases your chance to light a fire, not too useful but I've had times when even if I try ten times to light a fire it just won't light

Spoiler: Skills! (click to show/hide)

If you know how tagging skills works in fallout, then you already know how this works. You get five points to put on the various skills and they get a boost. As you can see above I tagged Cooking, Tracking, Club, Bow and Fishing (for some reason the red X didn't appear on fishing when I clicked it, it's either a graphical glitch or Kessian's can tag fishing several times) For reference, dodge has a red X on it but you can't tag it ever for some reason. I believe you have to improve your agility even more in order to raise dodge.

Spoiler: Tim's World (click to show/hide)

The whole of the world. In the demo it seems you'll only ever get this identical mass of land with slight variation. I know there are different land masses you can choose from in the registered version however. For the most part it doesn't matter how many times you regen the world, it's going to look the same. The little red square in the bottom left is where Tim will start out.

Spoiler: The Scenario (click to show/hide)

The Scenario is just a way to set the stage for the start. Some are harder some are easier. Since I forgot to put the rest of this up (like a doof) I'm just going to go with unreal world, the top one.

Spoiler: Courses (click to show/hide)

Courses just seem to be a mission-based system to help you learn more about the game. I'm going to pick the top one 'The Unreal World' because it doesn't bug you with any objectives. Probably won't bother with this screen in future updates

Spoiler: Tim's Inventory (click to show/hide)

Tim's inventory doesn't consist of a whole lot. Some food, some cloths, a knife and a staff. The rope might be helpful since I think we could make a snare out of it to catch a rabbit with, though I've never had success with traps.

Spoiler: Our surroundings (click to show/hide)

Atop this tree I see no familiar landmarks. Just where am I?

And we're back to input from you guys. What should Tim do first. The poor guy's lost in the middle of finland with only a knife and the cloths on his back. Oh yes, and a rope.
In before someone suggests he hang himself.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 02:01:40 pm »

Cut down wood, make a shelter next to a river, aka water source. Then hunt squirrels with your knife. Thats badass. Thats what I'd do.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 02:06:46 pm »

Assault those foreign traders, the blue doods.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 02:18:50 pm »

For reference Deadmeat, I've never killed an animal in Unreal World. From what I understand you're supposed to be able to use your tracking skill to find them, then you just set yourself to run and chase them down... but I've never been able to track anything, ever :(

Update later tonight probably, want to see if there are any other suggestions first.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 02:54:05 pm »

It's long and arduous. I once made a bow and hunted, eventually my skill went up enough to down some deer. But damn I love sprinting at squirrels and chucking stones at them in the trees.

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 03:07:17 pm »

Just toyed around with a squirrel on another character and I'm wondering just how you'd be able to attack a squirrel while it's in a tree without some form of stone or anything. Took me like six javelins before I finally hit that thing.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 03:42:42 pm »

Just toyed around with a squirrel on another character and I'm wondering just how you'd be able to attack a squirrel while it's in a tree without some form of stone or anything. Took me like six javelins before I finally hit that thing.

Rocks are your friend :D

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 05:33:52 pm »

Cut down wood, make a shelter next to a river, aka water source. Then hunt squirrels with your knife. Thats badass. Thats what I'd do.
Assault those foreign traders, the blue doods.

I'll try to do both of these suggestions if possible. I'm going to assault the blue doods because I've no clue if they'll just disappear or not. While if I go and make a shelter I might miss them. Hopefully I don't die from this first update :P

---

Atop that tree I realized what I needed to do. Shelter was obviously a priority, I wouldn't last long sleeping in the rain. There were also those foreign traders off to the east. They held no respect for the land. I swear I could almost hear the spirits urging me to drive them from the land.

Spoiler: Metal Gear Tim (click to show/hide)

Knife firmly gripped I slowly walked up behind the trader, careful to appear friendly should he see me.

Spoiler: Swing and a miss! (click to show/hide)

The trader turned just in time to see my intent. I haphazardly sliced at his chest with my blade but the trader was too fast and stepped out of the way.

Spoiler: Tim gives Chase (click to show/hide)

The coward grabbed his axe and made a run. At first I ran after him but a friend of his charged me with a spear, letting the trader escape.

Spoiler: Ohgodhehasacrossbow! (click to show/hide)

My original Quarry found some small amount of courage when he saw his friend and I exchanging blows. It was then that I saw him lift up the strange wooden contraption. I heard tale of weapons like that that could launch dozens of arrows in the span of a single minute. To this day I say I am not a coward, but I am also no fool. With the injury inflicted upon me by the foreigner's spear still burning I turned and ran as fast as I could

Spoiler: It hurts... (click to show/hide)

Another of the foreigners showed up with that strange contraption. The sound they made were like demons chasing me. I turned to look back and I could only see the bloodlust that had consumed them.

Spoiler: Sweet Release... (click to show/hide)

As I lay here my life passes before my eyes. I am not sad however, as now I will go and join my ancestors in the otherworld, far far to the north across the black river.

Spoiler: Tim is Alone (click to show/hide)

It seems that my actions were not favored by the spirits. I have been damned to an eternity with those like me, and I am the first.
---

Well that was a great start, wasn't it? Could of sworn there was only the one trader there, but then they started swarming me like bees or another swarming-insect  :-\

Guess I'll need another character for tomorrow! Sorry for dieing so early Deadmeat, so I'll be sure to do whatever you suggest first on the next character. I just kinda figured I'd have a chance against the traders... or maybe even get away with a few injuries.

Anyway, I'm going to need a Name, a Tribe, a Sex, what Season I should start with, What kinda stats/Phobia I should go for, Skills, which part of the world I should start in (you can use the previous map here, it really stays the same with very minor variation. Just tell me topleft/topright/center) and a Scenario. You guys can feel free to skip some of these parts and I'll just pick or randomize my way through it.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 06:46:40 pm »

Female and witner

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 06:58:45 pm »

The faces range from goofy to awful in the game.  I'd suggest going girl, just because they don't have the extremely ugly, incredibly fake beards.

Oh, and go escaped slave.  It makes "Hurt, Alone, and Afraid" look like easy mode.  You can try that mode five times, and you'll only live past the first day once at the most.

Oh, and don't put any points into climbing.

And play as the D guys.  They're pathetic skillwise.

And name the first after me, somehow.  It'll be an ancestor so quickly that it won't matter.
Pages: [1] 2