Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Furniture , workshops and tools  (Read 6132 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Furniture , workshops and tools
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 05:28:57 pm »

Also, it allows your fort to develop.  You can get crappy beds right away, but over time you replace everything with better quality than was possible at first.

Of course, we already have trouble with dwarves who try to replace their clothes...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 05:48:43 pm »

Alright, well, honestly, I'm not particularly sold on why having a "workshop zone" is really any better than just having workshops.  Workshops give players some direct control over who works on what.  What's the difference between a workshop zone large enough for two worker dwarves and two workshops if we exclude the possible confusion about what sorts of activities you restrict one specific dwarf to.  (So that only your highest skilled mason makes tables and chairs for the dining room, while the lower skilled masons make doors and floodgates.)

I think the idea is to facilitate goods made in separate steps. Right now, something like dyed cloth is kind of a pain in the ass: spinning fiber to thread, weaving, making dye, dyeing the cloth, and sewing it into clothes all require separate workshops and, potentially, hauling jobs for all the intermediate products. If instead you could make a workshop zone with a spinning wheel, a loom, a quern to mill dye, a dyeing vat, and a sewing table, then it would still take five jobs, and up to five dwarves, but the intermediates would sit in the shop's shared inventory and you wouldn't have to worry about them getting stockpiled or taken off to another shop on the other side of the fortress.

This would open up design space for multi-step and multi-material crafts without the usual gripes about how hard it is to manage all the hauling jobs. For example, there was some discussion recently about crossbows needing to be made of mechanical parts, and arrows requiring stone or metal heads (and maybe feathers?). I'd like that idea a lot better if I could still make an all-in-one crossbow workshop by sticking a woodworking bench and a mini-forge* in the same zone. This also opens space for jobs requiring specialized tools (like the mini-forge, maybe woodworking lathes, saws, and the current special-purpose tools like the loom and soap vats), and tool quality figuring into item quality, so that the fortress can develop some industrial infrastructure, instead of just whittling everything out of a tree with your Bowie knife.

It also allows materials that get consumed slowly as a regular part of some process (like the hospital supplies): salt or spices in a kitchen, maybe oil or water in a forge for quenching. This would address some of your concerns about needing to handle smaller increments of material.

I'd suggest treating the workshop inventory as a stockpile (with stockpile controls and all) so that you can use haulers outside the shop to keep it loaded with materials. The stockpile capacity would be the amount of open floor space in the zone (maybe you could increase this with cabinets/chests?), and overfilling that would cause clutter and slow down production, as now.

Of course, we already have trouble with dwarves who try to replace their clothes...

Not an issue here since the workshop tools are placed manually. The dwarves should be smart enough to choose the best available tool in the shop, but you can always remove the low-quality tools if you don't want anyone using them. Or move them to a separate workshop that's profile-limited to be a training shop.

* There should be a tool used to make precision parts; I'm thinking either the mini-forge or a grinding wheel of some kind.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:50:29 pm by irmo »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 06:19:13 pm »

I think the idea is to facilitate goods made in separate steps. Right now, something like dyed cloth is kind of a pain in the ass: spinning fiber to thread, weaving, making dye, dyeing the cloth, and sewing it into clothes all require separate workshops and, potentially, hauling jobs for all the intermediate products. If instead you could make a workshop zone with a spinning wheel, a loom, a quern to mill dye, a dyeing vat, and a sewing table, then it would still take five jobs, and up to five dwarves, but the intermediates would sit in the shop's shared inventory and you wouldn't have to worry about them getting stockpiled or taken off to another shop on the other side of the fortress.

This would open up design space for multi-step and multi-material crafts without the usual gripes about how hard it is to manage all the hauling jobs. For example, there was some discussion recently about crossbows needing to be made of mechanical parts, and arrows requiring stone or metal heads (and maybe feathers?). I'd like that idea a lot better if I could still make an all-in-one crossbow workshop by sticking a woodworking bench and a mini-forge* in the same zone. This also opens space for jobs requiring specialized tools (like the mini-forge, maybe woodworking lathes, saws, and the current special-purpose tools like the loom and soap vats), and tool quality figuring into item quality, so that the fortress can develop some industrial infrastructure, instead of just whittling everything out of a tree with your Bowie knife.

[...]

Not an issue here since the workshop tools are placed manually. The dwarves should be smart enough to choose the best available tool in the shop, but you can always remove the low-quality tools if you don't want anyone using them. Or move them to a separate workshop that's profile-limited to be a training shop.

* There should be a tool used to make precision parts; I'm thinking either the mini-forge or a grinding wheel of some kind.

But this still creates the need for building multiple "workshops", you just replace workshops with buildings or furniture, and potentially even create more intermediate steps that would require hauling jobs and orders to toss around.

Honestly, I've not had much trouble with the textile industry, and rather liked how it was a multi-step process, but if the objective here is to streamline things, then making the player have to create multiple sets of tools and buildings and manage each one is a step in the other direction.

Now, you have to place multiple tools and machines and buildings within a zone, and you still have to have control over who is able to use what tools to make what final products.  Even if you have a "textile industry zone", that doesn't mean that you'll be able to say "make a midnight blue pig tail sock" without having to manually control which dwarf is the dyer, creating the dyer's workshop, controlling who is the weaver, creating the loom, creating the clothesmaker, etc.  And having to manually control who is allowed to use what tools to complete what task. 

So again, where is the difference between this and just having a "workshop" for all of those tools?  What does the "zone" do in particular that does more than just mimic a workshop?  You still have to haul the materials from the tool that made it to the next tool in the assembly line.

It also allows materials that get consumed slowly as a regular part of some process (like the hospital supplies): salt or spices in a kitchen, maybe oil or water in a forge for quenching. This would address some of your concerns about needing to handle smaller increments of material.

I'd suggest treating the workshop inventory as a stockpile (with stockpile controls and all) so that you can use haulers outside the shop to keep it loaded with materials. The stockpile capacity would be the amount of open floor space in the zone (maybe you could increase this with cabinets/chests?), and overfilling that would cause clutter and slow down production, as now.

I'm not opposed to this in principle, and would honestly rather like something where you have a "workshop stockpile" of sorts, although this doesn't really have much to do with creating a system where you have a smaller fractional accounting of units of resources, since there's no reason you can't do that with the current styles of workshops. 

What the game really needs is just the stacking and hauling rewrites so that we actually can have a pinch of salt instead of an entire salt stone, and have the capacity to make more than just one earring out of an entire tree. 

The hospital zone just kludges this by having thread take up fractional accounting, but nobody can actually pick up that thread after it goes into the hospital's chest anymore and use it for something else besides the hospital.  This whole process will become much easier when dwarves are going to be able to actually combine two stacks of the same types of materials, so that we can use a fraction of a log, and toss that fraction of an oak log into a pile of oak log fractions to still be able to have a wood resource for other workshops, so that the bowyer and the woodcarver and the carpenter can all be using the same materials.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 08:03:17 pm »

But this still creates the need for building multiple "workshops", you just replace workshops with buildings or furniture, and potentially even create more intermediate steps that would require hauling jobs and orders to toss around.

Honestly, I've not had much trouble with the textile industry, and rather liked how it was a multi-step process, but if the objective here is to streamline things, then making the player have to create multiple sets of tools and buildings and manage each one is a step in the other direction.

"Streamline things" is too vague to be an objective. The objective here (well, one objective) is to eliminate hauling and (maybe) queue management as roadblocks in multi-step processes. The other, more important objectives are to give tools some persistent value, to make item quality matter for industrial goods, and to encourage the development of more of those neat multi-step processes.

So again, where is the difference between this and just having a "workshop" for all of those tools?  What does the "zone" do in particular that does more than just mimic a workshop?  You still have to haul the materials from the tool that made it to the next tool in the assembly line.

For purposes of material handling a workshop is a single location. I think of a workshop as two things: a tool with which dwarves perform reactions, and a compartment of inventory space. The tool operates only on objects in the shop inventory (not in a dwarf's hands or sitting on a floor somewhere), and the product of the reaction also ends up in the shop inventory. If the job needs an object that's not in the workshop inventory, the dwarf goes and finds one, carries it into the shop inventory, and then runs the reaction. This is how workshops work now, except that we don't talk about "tools" and "inventory space" because they're one and the same.

The change is that we decouple them and allow several tools to share inventory space. This means that if you're running a multi-step process, the intermediates don't have to be hauled anywhere.*

Besides a tool and an inventory, a workshop currently also has a job queue and a profile. I like the idea of attaching those to the inventory container, because if it's sufficiently smart you could just say "Make blue pig tail sock" to the whole shop and it would infer all the intermediate steps. (That's just pathfinding on a subset of the reaction tables.) Then the player doesn't need to interact with the tools at all, other than installing them. This would also be a logical place to put jobs like sand and silk collection, which right now have to be queued from a workshop but don't really use it. You place a "collect sand" order at a workshop (even one without tools!) and sand bags will be delivered to the shop inventory.

*Yes, this means you could make one ginormous workshop zone filling an entire floor and eliminate hauling entirely. Not sure what to do about that. Maybe just set a maximum size, or require "virtual hauling" where there's a time delay before starting each job proportional to the square root of the workshop size or something. Though doing this would fix the problems with stone hauling, and in a less cheaty way than quantum stockpiles.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 08:49:26 pm »

I'm not sure the best solution to just declare that materials can teleport just because you declared it a "workzone", especially if you can declare that workzone to be an entire floor.  Especially if there is nothing stopping you from declaring and undeclaring zones to teleport materials without the need for dwarves.  I can see a hundred ways to exploit that.

I'd have to say teleporting materials for free is much more "cheaty" than quantum stockpiles are, especially since quantum stockpiles really only signify a garbage dump, which is something you could have in real life, but which DF doesn't handle particularly well.

We don't need to eliminate hauling, we just need to get Toady to fix hauling.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 08:58:58 pm »

Also, it allows your fort to develop.  You can get crappy beds right away, but over time you replace everything with better quality than was possible at first.

Yeah, but you can handle beds yourself

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:02 pm »

[Tanning needs at least some buckets or barrels.  Tanning is typically done with sewage, which isn't really in the game yet, so that's not going to be much of a problem, and I guess we could have some sort of knife tool like a butcher's or a cook's go into the preparation process.

It would depend on the tanning you are doing.
Ancient tanning used urine and feces to make leather. More modern tanning techniques (hundreds of years old still) use lye or another basic liquid to remove the hair and soften the hide, which is then left to sit in a vat full of crushed up oak bark or other tannin rich bark.

Kitchens, surgeons and butchers could all use plain knives. Maybe several could be made out of 1 bar. The knives could also be used as a weapon as well as being used as a tool. There could even be a way to arm civilian dwarves with knives.

Forges should still use anvils, since the quality of the anvil does make a difference to what you are making. Cast iron is actually the best to use I believe, if the metal sings when you hit it with a hammer, it is good. They could then also use a war hammer as their hammer.

Tanning should be able to be done in a barrel, but there should be a tanning vat that you can build as well, which would be able to tan several hides at once.

I personally would like to see more complexity in workshops, so that when you build a workshop, there's at least 3 different machines that you can build to improve the quality/speed of production.

I do think that it is a good idea to make tools usable for multiple different workshops. Since it is a bit complex to require there to be a carving chisel as well as a joinery chisel. But some workshops do require very different things to others. In this way, all woodworking could use woodworking chisels as specific tools, but they are not necessary. All stoneworking could use stoneworking chisels. They would both use saws, since you can use saws to cut stone (realistically you can only cut sedimentary rock with saws).

Hammers could be used in forges, woodworking and stoneworking, and potentially more workshops. I would personally prefer to have mallets and hammers, but that is getting a bit pedantic.

I think the best way to implement this is to make it so that you designate your workshop area, then if you want to add fixed items (like a lathe) into it, you go into a submenu and select lathe. After this, you would select where you want it built, and then what materials you want to use to build it, you might need 1 mechanism and 1 wood/bar/stone block.

More than one tool per workshop is just stupid, even one is not necessary especially in workshop you'll want very early on

That's why I suggested that the carpenters workshop uses an axe and a masons uses a pickaxe as the most basic tool. That way your embark would be just as complex.

In order to make things easier to make, without having the pain of having to micromanage the multiple steps, Toady could add into the manager a feature where you plan your finished product, and then the dorfs do all the processes necessary to build it. I've suggested this somewhere as well.

Goblin Camp does this quite well from what I've seen of it, their goal being the macromanagement of your fortress as compared to the micromanagement that DF sort of requires you to do.

If we do streamline industries into zones, it would make hauling far more efficient, as if you wanted to have 50 midnight blue socks, you could order them as per my idea above, then when one dwarf is finished with one process, a dwarf could haul it to the next dwarf waiting for a job to do.

Dwarves should also have more full time jobs. They need to wait round in workshops, then when an order appears, should start building. Because right now, all my dwarves are set to a whole heap of different labours, just to try and get them to actually do work.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 11:50:49 pm »

Looks like this is half implemented anyway:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Tool_token
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Tool

Except that's only for people in adv mode. Apparently some can be used as weapons in fortress mode.

The article doesn't shed much light on exactly what tools are used for in game and if we can use them. Does anyone else know anything about them?
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 12:34:13 am »

Forges should still use anvils, since the quality of the anvil does make a difference to what you are making. Cast iron is actually the best to use I believe, if the metal sings when you hit it with a hammer, it is good. They could then also use a war hammer as their hammer.

Once again, anvils are never going to be used in any way that doesn't involve a hammer (unless we go all Looney Tunes and start dropping them on people), so why shouldn't we just call it an "anvil set" or something and include the hammer with the anvil?  The hammer gets stored with the anvil, it gets "built" with the anvil, hammer and anvil are inseperable in game terms so you don't have to worry about keeping track of two separate items in case someone wants to go pick up the forge's warhammer to go training in melee combat, and all of a sudden, you lose the ability to forge more weapons.  (Plus, then, if you are trading for an anvil, you now have to ALSO buy a hammer before you can start making something, and that means it's even less likely to be in a caravan.)

I personally would like to see more complexity in workshops, so that when you build a workshop, there's at least 3 different machines that you can build to improve the quality/speed of production.

[...]

I think the best way to implement this is to make it so that you designate your workshop area, then if you want to add fixed items (like a lathe) into it, you go into a submenu and select lathe. After this, you would select where you want it built, and then what materials you want to use to build it, you might need 1 mechanism and 1 wood/bar/stone block.

Let me take a little time to go down a little sidepath to talk about what I don't think people really want in Dwarf Fortress, here...

You know, I picked up the game "Majesty" because of a different thread where I was talking about how we could make dwarves more autonomous.  In that game, you don't control the heroes who wander around the map doing the stuff they like doing.  You supposedly are trying to coax the heroes into doing things by offering them rewards for attacking enemy settlements or exploring the game map for you.

Instead, however, you are kept constantly mashing the "upgrade" button over and over until you've finally exhausted either your money or the upgrades you can do in the buildings.  Marketplaces and blacksmiths were especially terrible, because there are three different building upgrades plus two or so upgrades per level, meaning you have to mash the same stupid upgrade buttons about nine times per building you have in your town, and mashing "upgrade" and "hire more heroes" is ALL you spend your time doing.  Much of the time, I couldn't even keep track of what was going on with the battle taking place on the map, since I was just too busy making sure that all my buildings were being upgraded.

Now then, if we have something like multiple "upgrades" in every single workshop, how, exactly, is this going to be handled in a way that isn't just going to be an annoyance for the player who only wants to get everything upgraded as much as possible so he/she doesn't have to worry about this anymore?

It's fine to have some sort of background simulation going on, where a cook will want to trade in his old knives for better knives if they become available, but how is trying to get players to micromanage the individual items every single one of their workers carries going to be fun? 

What if I don't really want to have to build a machine, then have to replace that machine with a better machine then a better one manually for every single workshop in my entire fort?  A well-developed fortress will have 50 to 80 workshops.  With 3 upgrades each, that's mashing the upgrade button 150 to 240 times per fort.  That's not an interesting decision, that's just mashing the upgrade button to make the workshop work better.

This is the exact sort of thing people who don't like RTS games don't like RTS games for.  It's not a measure of skill, it's just a measure of if you're willing to sit there and mash the upgrade button, and in DF, you can pause, so it's not even like there's "skill" involved in mashing it faster than the other guy.

Just making upgrades to workshops isn't going to make the game more complex.  There's nothing to think about regarding whether you want to upgrade "at least 3 different machines that you can build to improve the quality/speed of production."  If you possibly can build those machines, you want to do it, because they increase the quality or speed of production, and that is never a bad thing.  It's just a matter of whether you have jumped through that arbitrary hoop yet or not.

Plus, there's no cash for upgrades in DF the way there is in RTS games whose tech trees you need to fill out every single match you play for whatever reason because they all forget how to fire their missiles every single time they move to a new county.  This means that you're going to either just tell a craftsman to build something out of another stone or another tree or another metal bar, because that's how we do everything in DF.  So there's no meaningful way to actually slow the player down unless you somehow force some interdependency of upgrades, where a Mason's workshop Lv2 upgrade takes the Blacksmith Lv1 upgrade to produce Masonry Chisel Mk2 before you can make the Lv2 Masonry upgrade. 

Otherwise, it's what you just talked about, where players are just creating about 75 new tools or buildings where you just have to go down the checklist and make three of everything for a couple stones apiece.  Really, I used the lathe as an example of something we shouldn't be forcing players to care about.  Why are you using that as something you want to make players do?  It's just making a hideously long list of random crap that the player needs to micromanage without really adding anything to the game for their trouble.

If you want to make the craftsdwarves order or manufacture their own tools in their workshops on their own, and be able to zoom in on a cook who is trading in his old sandstone knife for a new masterwork steel knife set he had engraved, then this might add something to the game's aesthetic because you can look at the bustling little villagers interacting with one another, but that's only after they are capable of doing these upgrades on their own.  Forcing the player to babysit every single workshop to build hundreds of extra items by hand is nothing but a headache.

If we do streamline industries into zones, it would make hauling far more efficient, as if you wanted to have 50 midnight blue socks, you could order them as per my idea above, then when one dwarf is finished with one process, a dwarf could haul it to the next dwarf waiting for a job to do.

Making teleporting materials so that things don't have to be hauled is not an improvement. (And forcing 18 manual tool upgrades is not reducing micromanagement.)  Making workshops into zones also has nothing to do with steamlining ordering finished products also queue up intermediate tasks. 

In fact, if that's all you want, why not simply make a suggestion to make ordering 10 midnight blue pig tail socks create the sub-orders that 10 pig tails be threshed, 10 threads are spun, 10 spun threads are dyed, and then the actual 10 dyed threads are turned into pig tail socks?  There's nothing about that suggestion that has anything to do with requiring a zone.

Dwarves should also have more full time jobs. They need to wait round in workshops, then when an order appears, should start building. Because right now, all my dwarves are set to a whole heap of different labours, just to try and get them to actually do work.

All you have to do to accomplish this is remove all of a dwarf's tasks but one. 

In my last 40d fort, I had a major textile mill "sweatshop" going, with four farmer's workshops, four looms, four dyer's workshops, and four clothier's shops.  Twenty dedicated dwarves, not counting farmers or haulers, since one was probably going on break at any given time.  (I like large forts with full employment, and farming is very easily extensible.)  They were very efficient at what they did.  I gifted absurd numbers of bins to the dwarven and human diplomats, just to get rid of the stuff.

I never had any idlers (damn lazy military doens't count), parties, or relationships in that fort.  Maximum employment at all times, and pretty much every dwarf had only one task. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 03:28:39 am »

I agree, Majesty wasn't a very good game.
But isn't mashing millions of buttons what we do already in DF when we make bedrooms and other rooms?

If you really wanted to keep tools with workshops, to stop dorfs from using them for military purposes, you could have some way of locking a tool to a workshop, similar to how you forbid things. I was thinking, however that it would also be possible for a dorf to get attached to his tools, since I know I sure do in real life. The system for dorfs becoming attached would have to be improved though, as I know it's less that optimal.

You don't necessarily need a hammer to forge tools, you don't even need an anvil. Dwarves should be able to use a rock as an anvil and another as a hammer. The quality would be a bit lacking, but you could then make anvils and hammers from that.

Once again, anvils are never going to be used in any way that doesn't involve a hammer (unless we go all Looney Tunes and start dropping them on people)...

Now that is a good idea in it's own in my opinion, they could be like stone fall traps but actually good. Utility wise it would suck, but it would be amusing.

The idea is not that you have "levels" but that instead, setting up a workshop requires more effort that just 1 stone and a worker. If dwarves were to require better objects as the fortress moves on (better quality of life, Maslow's Hierarchy of needs etc.), then that would also give incentive for the player to make better things.

One wouldn't need to micromanage their workers anyway, that isn't the point of what I am suggesting at all. You could use a military like interface if you really wanted, so that you could kit out your workers in that.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 06:00:42 am »

The only tools a dwarf needed were his ax and some means of making fire. That'd eventually get him a forge, and with that he could make simple tools, and with those he could make complex tools, and with complex tools a dwarf could more or less make anything.
-- Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Once again, anvils are never going to be used in any way that doesn't involve a hammer (unless we go all Looney Tunes and start dropping them on people), so why shouldn't we just call it an "anvil set" or something and include the hammer with the anvil? 

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm okay with continuing to call it an "anvil", even. Also, using a warhammer for forging is just silly.

Now then, if we have something like multiple "upgrades" in every single workshop, how, exactly, is this going to be handled in a way that isn't just going to be an annoyance for the player who only wants to get everything upgraded as much as possible so he/she doesn't have to worry about this anymore?

They're not "upgrades". They're options. You want to do simple metalwork, so you put in an anvil. Then you want to make axes, which have wooden handles, so you put in a wood lathe to make those. Then you want to make precision parts so you put in a grinding wheel. It's very much like what you have to think about in running an actual workshop: What tools do we need to make the things we want to make? Now, what will they cost? Do we have space for them? Are we trained to operate them?

I want those limits to be interesting. The most interesting limit, since you're in a fortress out in the boonies full of clever dwarves who can make simple tools out of rocks, is infrastructure: what stuff you need to make the parts to make the stuff you want.

That said, I also think item quality should matter for tools, and in that case there really is a one-dimensional "upgrade path" from -anvil- to +anvil+ to *anvil* and so on. But that's not just "mashing the upgrade button"--if you want to upgrade your anvil you have to make or buy a better one, which means gathering material and training up a really good smith.

What if I don't really want to have to build a machine, then have to replace that machine with a better machine then a better one manually for every single workshop in my entire fort

You're not forced to replace anything. You'll just be limited in the item quality you can produce on your low-quality tools. Maybe for some purposes you don't care, just like maybe you don't care about equipping your entire military with masterwork everything.

Otherwise, it's what you just talked about, where players are just creating about 75 new tools or buildings where you just have to go down the checklist and make three of everything for a couple stones apiece.  Really, I used the lathe as an example of something we shouldn't be forcing players to care about.  Why are you using that as something you want to make players do?  It's just making a hideously long list of random crap that the player needs to micromanage without really adding anything to the game for their trouble.

Didn't you just post that giant thread about soil chemistry?

I'm not opposed to soil chemistry. I think soil chemistry can be made fun and interesting, and that it's mostly a matter of presentation: making sure the player has enough information to make decisions and can see the effects of those decisions. And I think building an industrial base can be made fun and interesting.

Making teleporting materials so that things don't have to be hauled is not an improvement. (And forcing 18 manual tool upgrades is not reducing micromanagement.)  Making workshops into zones also has nothing to do with steamlining ordering finished products also queue up intermediate tasks. 

I think "teleporting" is the wrong way to think about it (as it implies instant movement, and items in a shared workshop inventory don't move anywhere; they're just delocalized). I understand your concern about exploits, but that can be addressed--a simple time delay when moving any object in or out of the workshop inventory, based on the size of the shop, would take care of most of those. But I'd like

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 09:35:18 am »

Holy wall of text, batman!

Anyway, my .02.  Majesty was a problem because you clicked too much, too fast.  Df has the oposite problem, there's not enough to do between your long periods of watching.  A majesty game lasts 30 mins.  30 mins into a df game, you've just decided where to put your entrance.

Upgrades wouldn't be meaningless clicks (I've waited 10 secs, time to click something else) but a little reward for developing your fortress to the point of producing them.  Given the rarety of materials, it also represents a consequential choice to be made.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 10:28:12 am »

But isn't mashing millions of buttons what we do already in DF when we make bedrooms and other rooms?

Which is why I see people asking around for utilities that let you put doors and beds and such into every bedroom automatically the way that quickfort designates digging.  They see it as boring, repetitive micromanagement to have to place each piece of furniture for each dwarf.

This is just adding to the need to micromanage placing pieces of furniture.

The idea is not that you have "levels" but that instead, setting up a workshop requires more effort that just 1 stone and a worker. If dwarves were to require better objects as the fortress moves on (better quality of life, Maslow's Hierarchy of needs etc.), then that would also give incentive for the player to make better things.

You're not seeing this really as a player right now.  To a player, anything less than maximum efficiency is a penalty.  The player is being penalized any time they have not micromanaged adding in every single one of the workshop upgrades.  In order to avoid that penalty, they have to do something boring and repetitive they otherwise would not want to do. 

That's why you go talking about "incentives" to do something, because they have to be forced to do it, or they wouldn't want to.  Good game mechanics are ones that players want to experience for their own sake, not because they just want to get through this game mechanic to get to the mechanics they actually enjoy. 

If you want to have a mechanic for getting the player to design machines, make them potentially fun to design - the multi-tile trap pieces that are coming up in the devpages can potentially be quite fun and allow for a great deal of creatitivity in trap design, and I really look forward to "dwarven marble madness".  Just mashing a button to add a workshop upgrade of a "lathe" to a carpentry workshop isn't really anything more than a chore I have to complete to get to maximum upgrade Carpenter's Workshop Lv3. 

Again, it's not terrible to have better workshops per se, but it's a major problem to ask players to micromanage 75 new different building types that they have to find, remember what they do (or look up the exploding number of wiki pages on them), order constructed, and keep track of what they still need. 

Having a way of automating dwarves being able to upgrade their tools on their own gives you the ability to have shiney little toys in your workshops if you care enough to look at what upgrades they have built for themselves, without having to force the player to build a few hundred new buildings every single fort.

The only tools a dwarf needed were his ax and some means of making fire. That'd eventually get him a forge, and with that he could make simple tools, and with those he could make complex tools, and with complex tools a dwarf could more or less make anything.
-- Terry Pratchett, The Truth

I'm generally not much for basing Dwarf Fortress on something so overtly meant to be absurd as Terry Pratchett, but that's something fairly reasonable.  Some monkeys are capable of finding a nice, hard type of stone cliff face and loose rocks to bash open nuts.

Some sort of crude basic necessities workshop could be introduced that just serves to fashion improvised materials, including a rock pick.  They'd need to break very frequently, though, just to make players want to avoid relying upon them.

You could possibly try to forge an ad-hoc anvil by creating a cast out of soil, heating some sort of metal like copper, and pouring that into the cast.  It'd be a crappy ad-hoc anvil, but you could start your industry on that.

If you had sand or ceramics, you could probably make a much better cast and mold for your anvil, though... 

They're not "upgrades". They're options. You want to do simple metalwork, so you put in an anvil. Then you want to make axes, which have wooden handles, so you put in a wood lathe to make those. Then you want to make precision parts so you put in a grinding wheel. It's very much like what you have to think about in running an actual workshop: What tools do we need to make the things we want to make? Now, what will they cost? Do we have space for them? Are we trained to operate them?

I want those limits to be interesting. The most interesting limit, since you're in a fortress out in the boonies full of clever dwarves who can make simple tools out of rocks, is infrastructure: what stuff you need to make the parts to make the stuff you want.

What option? What decision?  Those upgrades cost nothing because you have no money, and most of them are made out of stone, which you have in such abundance you're just looking for an excuse to get rid of it most of the time, anyway, no decision there.  You're going to want to make at least some of everything in the game, so you're going to want to build every upgrade, no decision there.  If you don't have enough space for them, just dig out another wall and expand, no decision there (other than maybe which wall to knock out).  Dwarves are trained to operate all machinery in the game innately, even if they may not be skilled in their use (and the way to solve that being unskilled is to purposefully give them plenty of junk tasks just to build up that skill), so there's no decision there, either.

As I said earlier, anything less than maximum is a penalty to a player, so there's only one thing that a player will really be able to guage his/her decision upon - how much utility you get from the upgrades versus how much of a nuisance it is to build the upgrades.  Then, it's only a decision based upon how annoyed the player has become, and making the player just barely above the point of frustration where they quit playing the game isn't the sort of place where we want players to be making decisions.

That said, I also think item quality should matter for tools, and in that case there really is a one-dimensional "upgrade path" from -anvil- to +anvil+ to *anvil* and so on. But that's not just "mashing the upgrade button"--if you want to upgrade your anvil you have to make or buy a better one, which means gathering material and training up a really good smith.

This could be a good way to go, but only if it can happen with some degree of automation so that you don't force the player to upgrade it manually. 

Having to get a better smith to make a better set of tools is much more meaningful, since you can't just throw vast wads of resources at the problem, it actually takes building up your dwarves.

The problem is, however, how often do you really produce a new anvil?  You only build anvils to make more forges.  If it's something like telling your weaponsmith or blacksmith to build a couple new sets of steel knives every now and then, you can probably let your cooks and surgeons and craftsdwarves upgrade fairly well, but some things like anvils aren't something you typically order.

Didn't you just post that giant thread about soil chemistry?

I'm not opposed to soil chemistry. I think soil chemistry can be made fun and interesting, and that it's mostly a matter of presentation: making sure the player has enough information to make decisions and can see the effects of those decisions. And I think building an industrial base can be made fun and interesting.

Yes, and believe me, we had this same back-and-forth about what is a meaningful decision or not a hundred times worse in that thread.  Because of it, I wound up radically changing the idea enough that I started an entire new thread.

Among those changes was a drive to automate the process wherever possible, and make the player only have to confront real decisions about land management.  The proposal is now more about making a simulated ecosystem that is only vaguely controlled by the player, while he/she basically only gives orders to zone fields for farming, and permission for how much labor and how many fertilizers and other resources the farmers can choose to apply to any given field, as well as what order and mix of selection of crops are actually planted and what animal life you try to keep in the same area to interact with your fields.

Because a system that complex would be micromanagement hell to order each fertilization of the field to be done manually, you just have the ability to say, "Yes, you can apply compost to this field, but don't use more than 20 units in this one growing season."  And even that's just because fertilizers should be a limited and semi-precious resource, so that players would want to triage them.  I expect that things like water will just be something that gets automatically added to the list of permitted tasks, set at permission to use infinite times by default, and never touched by the player, letting that one go entirely to the dwarven AI decision making.  A player never has to do any more to worry about watering the fields than making sure that either water is available near the fields, or that an irrigation pipe and pump are built. 

(... OK, so maybe the having to push a button to order the irrigation piping and pump built are a bit of micromanagement of the sort I've been arguing against in this thread, but at least there's the need to do something tricky to channel the water there in the first place.  The task of pushing a button to order the pump built is something I wouldn't want in there if I could avoid it, but that's not the sort of thing you can trust to AI, wheras something like just picking up the best set of knives or upgrading a workshop automatically whenever the materials to do so are available is something you can leave the AI to do.)

I think "teleporting" is the wrong way to think about it (as it implies instant movement, and items in a shared workshop inventory don't move anywhere; they're just delocalized). I understand your concern about exploits, but that can be addressed--a simple time delay when moving any object in or out of the workshop inventory, based on the size of the shop, would take care of most of those. But I'd like

You kind of stopped mid-sentence, there.

But anyway, even if the materials move themselves slowly, they're still moving themselves.  Toady has been moving towards more abstract and macromanagement gameplay recently, but I still don't think that he will ever go to the point of trying to eliminate hauling alltogether.  Hauling just needs to be fixed to be more rational.

Honestly, one of the things I suggested from the Improved Mechanics thread, though, was a conveyor belt that could just be attached to the workshops themselves for some real assembly line action.  Tie up a machine that automatically takes the items on an "output tile" of a workshop to the "input tile" of the next workshop on the assembly line.  That's something that eliminates at least one hauling task without having the materials exist in the ether until someone grabs them from hyperspace.

While I'm on it, the need to micromanage intermediate item construction processes can also be handled fairly well with the "Standing Orders" ESV item.  Just set "Make more steel if you have less than 100 steel bars", and you will pretty much be assured that you're going to have at least one furnace running on constant steel smelting for as long as they have the materials.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 03:58:50 pm »

Real war hammers weren't much heavier that a normal framing hammer, so it's not that stupid.

The thing is that you aren't actually placing that many pieces of furniture, so it's not actually much of an annoyance.

These tools and machines would have a drawback though, so you wouldn't necessarily want to just fill your workshops with upgrades. For example, adding a lathe into your carpenters workshop would make a higher quality product, but at the disadvantage of taking more time and probably taking more wood (if mass and volume was to be implemented). Some machines and tools would also require 2 dwarves, like a lathe.

This means that there isn't really any maximum efficiency, since you have to trade off time to get quality or quality to get time. It is up to the player to decide which one they want and to make a good compromise.

Powered machines could also be implemented, which would give players an incentive to upgrade, since they would be dwarfley. Also it would make mechanics a lot more useful. The real incentive would be to make cooler looking workshops, that would enough of an incentive to me. Also with metal being a lot rarer now, it will become a form of currency.

To make upgrading anvils and other machines easier, it could be made that they would just get hauled out and a new one would be put in place. For multi-component things, a single component could be replaced.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 06:44:18 pm »

Real war hammers weren't much heavier that a normal framing hammer, so it's not that stupid.

That's not the problem, the problem is that if you can't use just an anvil alone, you need an anvil and a hammer, and someone walks off with your hammer, your anvil is now a useless lump of metal.  There's no reason to have to track an additional item you would never want removed from the vicinity of the anvil.

The thing is that you aren't actually placing that many pieces of furniture, so it's not actually much of an annoyance.

You said you wanted three upgrades for every workshop, and then you have to multiply that by every workshop you have to build.

These tools and machines would have a drawback though, so you wouldn't necessarily want to just fill your workshops with upgrades. For example, adding a lathe into your carpenters workshop would make a higher quality product, but at the disadvantage of taking more time and probably taking more wood (if mass and volume was to be implemented). Some machines and tools would also require 2 dwarves, like a lathe.

This means that there isn't really any maximum efficiency, since you have to trade off time to get quality or quality to get time. It is up to the player to decide which one they want and to make a good compromise.

So I have to make one workshop that has a lathe, and one workshop that doesn't have a lathe, and put the products I want to be high-quality on that workshop and another one to do things without a lathe faster.  Now I need two different workshops to do the same set of tasks, and I have to divide up my tasks between these two options, and this division is based solely upon what I actually need to have high quality, not upon actually having to sit down and choose.  Now I have more workshops to build upgrades or build only specific upgrades for and then manage the production orders for, adding to the amount of micromanagement.  (And since all workshops aren't the same, now, management orders are out of the question.)

Powered machines could also be implemented, which would give players an incentive to upgrade, since they would be dwarfley. Also it would make mechanics a lot more useful. The real incentive would be to make cooler looking workshops, that would enough of an incentive to me. Also with metal being a lot rarer now, it will become a form of currency.

Wait, what do you mean currency?

To make upgrading anvils and other machines easier, it could be made that they would just get hauled out and a new one would be put in place. For multi-component things, a single component could be replaced.

This is just making things automated, which is fine so long as you build the idea around it being automated. 

It's one thing to want a pretty bustling town which can run itself, but you have to then start talking about ways to make it run itself, without having to get the player to manually come down and tell each dwarf what knife to chop the meat with, what size hammer you want him smithing with, what dress to wear to the ball, or whether or not to spring for the wipe after you flush upgrade, even if it costs an extra unit of toilet paper. 

If you want to have something like a mechanically powered set of workshop tools that are independently constructed within a workshop zone, then make the workers either build for themselves, or order the construction of the building of their workshop tools for themselves when they have the resources to do so, and make them construct that workshop on their own, with perhaps a manual override for the really OCD among us.  If you want powered machinery, you can knock a hole in the wall to ram an axle through, and let the dwarves set up their machines off of that power point. 

In that case, upgrades should generally be positive so that you don't have to micromanage whether they use it or not. 

In that way, fine, they can use a lathe, but I don't have to really care about it, I can just order them to make stuff and they'll make it so long as they have the materials to do so.  The people who want to watch the little antfarm with cerpenters hauling wood to the lathe then to the chiseling bench then wherever else assembling the little pieces can do so, but you aren't forced to pick whether or not the lathe gets used per job order, and you don't have to manually make sure you have punched in commands to upgrade everything.

This means, however, that you have to make the idea of what exactly constitutes an upgrade fit around the notion that it's something you can trust a dwarf to be able to handle on their own without direct input from the player. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3