Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Blunderbuss Rules and Discussion Thread - It's a Game Now!  (Read 24739 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Blunderbuss - Doing science to D&D until all the whimsy is gone
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2012, 09:50:10 pm »

So stripping naked would be a good survival technique then or, at least, a means to cut down on one's food requirements; it does mean more exposed surface area, after all. Even if they don't go fully naked, I think the elves would want to wear as little clothing as they could manage as often as they can.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:52:40 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2012, 10:02:08 pm »

Admit it. You're just trying to rationalize them into leather bikinis.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2012, 11:02:24 pm »

I think he was arguing for silk ones to allow more light passage.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2012, 12:15:48 am »

Admit it. You're just trying to rationalize them into leather bikinis.
No, it's at least partially based on the logical consequences of being a photosynthetic species. But, yes, mostly that.

I think he was arguing for silk ones to allow more light passage.
And I wasn't thinking of that but I won't disagree with it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2012, 07:21:34 am »

Creating and Casting Spells:
Spells are constructed from the Words of Power the caster has learned and memorized. There are 3 types of words of power: Target Words, which define who the spell targets and what form it takes; Effect Words, which define what the spell does to its targets; and Metawords, which modify the spell or spellcasting process in different ways. Spells normally contain 1 Target Word, and can contain any number of Metawords, but the number of Effect Words depends on what Circle the spell belongs to: 1st Circle Spells consist of 1 Effect Word, 2nd Circle Spells consist of up to 2 Effect Words, and 3rd Circle Spells consist of up to 3 Effect Words. Many Effect and Target words can change or amplify their effects by adding additional syllables, listed under each Word of Power. These increase the Spellpower of the spell, but don't require an additional Effect Word.

When attempting to cast a spell, you must succeed at an Arcana skill check (DC = 10 + Spellpower of the Spell), and your Armor Check penalty applies. Failure means the spell fizzles and is lost, and may cause other effects depending on what kind of Spellcaster you are. You must also maintain concentration during the Spellcasting process, and if you are injured you must succeed at a Fortitude Save (DC = Damage Taken + Spellpower of the Spell), or the spell will be lost as though you failed your Spellcasting check. You can also attempt to identify the Words of Power and the effects of a spell as it's being cast, with a successful Knowledge (Spellcraft) skill check (DC = 10 + Spellpower of the Spell).

If a given spell has multiple instantaneous effects, which have no duration, they each resolve separately. However, any spell effects with a duration are linked, and only last as long as the shortest effect in the spell. For example, if you combined an Invisibility effect with a Haste effect in a single spell, they would share the shorter duration of the two, and if the invisibility effect wore off early (say, if the target attacked and broke the effect) the Haste effect would wear off as well.

Spoiler: Target Words (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Metawords: (click to show/hide)

Example Spells:
Decoy (Illusion, Spellpower 4):
Target – Select
Effect – Figment, Invisibility (Extended)
Meta – None
Description: Makes the target invisible, and creates an illusionary duplicate of the target at their former location. The illusion is static, but can be made to appear healthy, cowering, or unconscious as the case demands. Lasts 1 minute, or until the target attacks.

Venom Cloud (Evocation/Conjuration, Spellpower 4):
Target – Emanation
Effect – Corrosion (Noxious), Haze
Meta – None
Description: Creates a 10’ radius cloud of corrosive gas which obscures vision, deals 1d4 Acid damage to targets who move through the area, may sicken those it damages, and can be moved 20' per round by the caster as a Move Action. It lasts for 1d4 rounds.

Accelerate (Transmutation, Spellpower 6):
Target – Select
Effect – Timeshift (Extended), Empower (Greater)
Meta – None
Description: The target gains 1 additional Simple Action per round, and a +2 Dexterity bonus for 1 minute.

Scrying (Divination, Spellpower 7):
Primary Target – Select
Primary Effect – Astral Projection
Secondary Target – Burst
Secondary Effect – Telepathy
Meta – Split
Description: The caster's Astral Form leaves their body, and flies ethereally up to a mile away. Secondary targets standing nearby when the spell was cast can communicate telepathically with the caster, and can see whatever the caster's Astral Form can see. The spell lasts for 1 minute, or until the caster's Astral Form returns to their body.

Deathmantle (Evocation, Spellpower 8):
Target – Touch (Aura, Mass)
Effect – Enervate (Greater, Vampiric)
Meta – None
Description: Creates a protective aura around the target which discharges on creatures that strike or touch them in melee combat. It deals 1d6 true damage per Caster Level, and grants half the damage dealt back to the caster as Temporary HP. It can be discharged a number of times equal to the Caster's Level before dissipating.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:19:36 pm by Solifuge »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2012, 04:28:06 pm »

I have a couple questions: One, what is the advantage of using Touch over Selection in their non-Mass forms? And what does the Shaped syllable do for Line, exactly; does it mean you can spin a non-instantaneous effect around?

Also, you didn't write anything for what the Light effect normally does, just it's spellpower cost.
Glory to Arstotzka!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2012, 06:20:02 pm »

1) Touch spells can be held for several rounds and discharged later. For a magic-using swordsman, for instance, you could cast a single-use healing spell as a Touch spell and hold it in reserve, using it on themselves or an ally as the course of the battle required. EDIT - Also, touch spells can be discharged against a target when you are touched or struck by them in a melee.

2) Shaped Lines allows you to change the direction of the line of effect one or more times. You could zig-zag around obstacles, arc it in a circle around you to create a spell-wall, or even bend it upward or downward.

3) Bleh, formatting error on the Light bit; I've been revising the posts with new content as I add Effect Words for more spell schools, and appear to have lost it. I'll fix it when I add in Divination.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:08:04 am by Solifuge »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2012, 01:23:46 am »

Posting to watch.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2012, 02:26:29 pm »

I added the remaining spell schools and every Word of Power I have so far to the "Creating and Casting Spells" post. There may be other Words of Power in the world, such as the "Final Incantation" which is safeguarded by the Daemon Paimon, and which can supposedly annihilate Magick itself, but these are the ones that are accessible to players. Also certain effects (such as teleportation or resurrection) were left out intentionally, but if there is another effect that seems to be missing, feel free to let me know.

I'm having fun thinking up interesting spell effects, and listed a number of example spells in the post as well. The goal was to make magick a bit more formulaic and Science-like, and I hope that this revision provides some fun flexibility to magick-users, without making things too complicated.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:40:06 pm by Solifuge »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2012, 04:50:06 pm »

So, am I right in thinking that touch spells can be used as part of a regular attack? And can they be used with weapons, or might there be a way to be able to use them with weapons?

Also, I don't think the Enlarge and Reduce effect words are very well balanced with each other, as one provides mostly penalties and the other provides mostly bonuses.
Glory to Arstotzka!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2012, 05:45:14 pm »

I was thinking touch spells could being discharged with an Unarmed Attack, but tacking spell effects onto weapon strikes is probably a bit too much. I'd consider it, though honestly I think it's a bit too easy to cheese that into ridiculous damage.

Also, Enlarge and Reduce are based on existing low-level spells. The advantage to being big is gaining reach, being harder to knock over, and dealing much more damage... but in exchange it makes you clumsier and easier to hit. Being smaller makes it easier to hide and get into places, and makes you much harder to hit, but can reduce your reach, and greatly lowers your damage output. This is, of course, ignoring all the other advantages and disadvantages of temporarily making yourself 12 feet tall, or small enough to fit into a mason jar.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2012, 05:48:37 pm »

So, can you cast touch spells on monks to make us them useful?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2012, 05:56:34 pm »

Or rather you could make a monk/mage character who could cast their own spells using their fists and/or feet. You know, a Mystic/Monk could actually make for a neat character. I might have to borrow that for one of the NPCs I've been planning. :3

EDIT: Speaking of characters, here's a sample character I built, to show the character creation system in action.

Sample Character:
Name: Vandevir
Race: Human
Archetype: Expert, Lv.2
Sex: Male
Background: Bardasti
Native Language: Pidgin

Spoiler: Attributes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills and Feats: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:14:38 pm by Solifuge »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2012, 06:00:20 pm »

It was mostly that I was looking at the Wild Arcana and thinking it would be great to make a dashing swashbuckler mage who casts spells by stabbing people. Maybe it would work if there was some sort of targeting method that required getting a regular hit?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2012, 03:14:49 pm »

After considering the pros and cons, I revised Touch to let you channel spells through either a melee weapon attack or unarmed attack. Also put together the following bit on revised wound/death tracking. It's a bit more forgiving than traditional D&D; it's harder to die outright, but being reduced to 0 HP can result in long-lasting injuries that reduce your capabilities.

Wounds and Dying:
When a character would be reduced to 0 HP or lower, they are wounded, and must make a Fortitude Save to resist being knocked out (DC 10 + 1 per HP damage dealt beyond 0). Success means they are only Disabled, and must roll on the Wound Table. Failure means they are Dying, and must roll on the Wound Table. HP may not decrease lower than 0. Gaining Temporary Hit Points will end the Dying or Disabled conditions for as long as the Hit Points last.

A Disabled creature may take a single Move Action or Standard Action each round (in addition to Swift, Immediate, and Free Actions), and move at only Half Speed. Taking Move Actions doesn't risk further injury, but performing a Simple Action, or any other action the GM deems strenuous, provokes another Fortitude Save as above. A Dying creature is unconscious, and may take no actions. Every minute, they must attempt a DC 10 Constitution check. If they succeed, they have stabilized, and become Disabled. Failure means they take 1 point of Constitution damage. If they take enough Constitution Damage to reduce them to -5, they are dead. A DC 15 Medicine check can stabilize a Dying character.

Wounds, such as broken bones or head injuries, grant long-term debilitating effects, and take time to fully recover. Some Wounds such as missing limbs or ruined eyes can never be healed, though a crutch, a wooden leg, a hook hand, and so on can restore some function to missing limbs.

Code: (Wound Table - Roll 2d6) [Select]
2     Mortal Wound (Begin Dying, take 1 Con damage)
3-4   Permanent Wound
5-8   Minor Wound
9-12  No effect

Code: (Minor Wound - Roll 1d8) [Select]
1 - Head: Dazzled.
2 - Ear: -2 to Perception checks related to Sound.
3 - Eye: -2 to Perception checks related to Sight.
4 - Throat: -2 to language-based Skill checks.
5 - Hand/Tail: -2 to Skills requiring fine manipulation.
6 - Arm/Wing: -2 to Skills requiring exertion or strength.
7 - Waist: -5' Move
8 - Leg: -2 to movement-based skills.

* Recovery: Can be treated with a DC 15 Medicine check, and 1 week of rest and recovery.
** Special: If a creature has  more than one of the affected body part, randomly determine
which one is affected. If you've already recieved an injury to the given body part, it becomes
a Permanent Injury to that body part instead.

Code: (Permanent Wound - Roll 1d8) [Select]
1 - Head: -1 Permanent INT, CHA, and WIS loss.
2 - Ear: Deafness on one side.
3 - Eye: Blindness in one eye.
4 - Throat: Loss of speach.
5 - Hand/Tail: Ruined/removed, and now useless.
6 - Arm/Wing: Ruined/removed, and now useless. -1 Permanent STR and DEX loss.
7 - Waist: Reduce Move Speed by -10' (-5' if Move Speed was 20').
8 - Leg: Ruined/removed, and now useless. -1 Permanent STR and DEX loss.

** Special: If a creature has more than one of the affected body part, randomly determine
which one is affected. If you've already received a Permanent Injury to the given body part,
treat this as a Mortal Wound (Begin Dying, take 1 Con damage).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:35:03 pm by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8