Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 746 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Two questions
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:33:30 am »

1. Supposing I created a waterwheel of only nether-cap componants, would it power in magma flow?
2. How do I know if it's cold enough for my dwarves to get frostbite?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:37:43 am »

1. No.  Magma has no flow, so even if the wood is indestructible the wheel won't turn.

2. Station them outside and see if they get injured?  Don't think there's a direct way to read temperature in the game.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:46:39 am »

2. If you make a zone you can see if it is cold. I haven't done this myself but I've seen in on screenshots (it should appear next to the option to create a meeting zone from the zone)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:59:07 am »

You can read tile temperature by using dfprobe.

I don't know how frostburn actually works. The materials that make up a dwarf have colddam points of 9900, which is colder than anything you'd see with the default temps. The only time I've seen frostburn in the injury screen was with a creature set to have all its component parts damaged at 9990, and then only his brain got frostbitten (what).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.