Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first tantrum chain reaction...  (Read 1481 times)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
My first tantrum chain reaction...
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:24:39 am »

Soo... I've been playing DF for some time now. I made a handful of successful forts(in which successful means - survived more than 2 years). I experienced different ways of having fun, but usually it was either fast, or caused by kittens FPS issues. Never before was I forced to surrender to tantrum. I keep the booze running,  I give them separate rooms. They never drop below content under my rule(the general population, at least). I always thought that what they write in the wiki is a bit over the top. Now, I stand corrected. All it took was one accident, after which the general of my army went berserk all over the place... Is it really that easy? Am I that lucky to play for over 6 months without having even 1 chain reaction?
Btw, flying chairs and stones look awesome!! :D
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first tantrum chain reaction...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:37:58 am »

it happens.. I once had a chain reaction happen because of a misma cloud which led to a tantrum which led to my legendary axedwarf "knocking" a dwarf out with his axe, which led to more tantrums... etc

it is somewhat easy, just avoid letting females into the military (lol out of the kitchen) and stop that guy with 30 kids from dying.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:50:44 am »

It helps to have separate casts, just keep your military squads separated from your workers and separated from each other so each tantrum spiral is easier contained, of course you haulers will be friends with your military and may tantrum anywhere in your fort but at least they're easier to deal with than a tantruming fully armoured axe wielding superdwarf...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:35:29 pm »

In my... wow, year now of playing DF, I've only had one chain. I won't go into the details, but somewhere in it, my mason through a barrel at the carpenter, killing him... ya  :D
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.