Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 569404 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2011, 01:38:24 am »

Cashmoney isn't too hard to hard to grind up.  I want this, delivery, and poisoned quests are easy.  Packrat and have on you at least one each of every item that doesn't weigh too much, in case you find a quest that wants it.

ID unknown potions, wands and scrolls, so you know what they are.  This'll help in case a quest wants them, or for when you are about to erupt into a chestburster and don't want to accidentally chug a buncha cure corruptions and mutation potions looking for that dye.  Also they sell for a slightly-more-than-trivial amount, unlike weapons and armor and stuff.

You can get NPCs drunk with the various boozes and milk them for uh... for gold.  This'll also train your charisma, which lets you get more pets - I think 1  for <14, and then 2 at 15, and one more every +5?  IIRC, pets chilling at home or working your ranches or shops count towards this limit, so it's kinda important later on.

Wander from city to city doing oddjobs and during the process you'll eventually make enough money to buy stuff and pay for IDing.  Be real careful about those cursed items.  ...I really like the "wandering mailman traveler" sorta thing this turns the game into, though I guess I might just be weird like that.  Either way it's a safe way to grind up cash, and during the horrifically long time you'll spend doing this you'll inevitably acquire some Treasure Maps.  Those sometimes have artifact equipment, and occasionally they'll even be good!  That'll help make you actually stand a chance in a fight maybe.

Get the little girl.  She will crush your enemies, drive them before you, and force the lamentations from their women.

If you didn't get one when you started the game, you can get another human ally from the Slave Trader in Derphy.

And uh, I would totally suggest savescrub behavior for when you die.  Beyond the possibility of dropping your sweet artifacts when you die in someplace unrecoverable like the Puppy Cave, IIRC you can also drop irreplaceable items like the cooler or gene machine, and IIRC the autosave will save as soon as you respawn, and I don't think you can check when dropped and what didn't when you die.

Also, you can scavenge delicious fruit from Vernis, Palmia and Yowyn, thus saving money.  If you have the cooking skill, you can try to cook 'em at the inn in Vernis and the kitchen in Palmia for better stat boosts - though making nasty stuff reduces those.  Api nuts and one of the plants I think don't rot, and weigh nothing, so carry those around as emergency food.

Performing, AFAIK, checks your performance against every NPCs level.  High level guys - guards, named characters and shopguys - usually hate what you play until you grind up to like 30 or something.  They also throw rocks rrrreally hard.  If you manage to just find an audience of faceless townspeople, though, they might appreciate your playing.

Personally, my favorite classes are Farmer and Pianist.  My first character was a Pianist with a cat, and martial arts, because punching stuff is cool.  He teleportitis'd into the slime room in the Vernis basement and dropped his piano there (I was carrying it around because I am boss), and eventually ran out of money (I think I got down to like 14 gold - I didn't know the delivery quests were easy money at the time) AND picked the fruit trees bare in Vernis.  Out of resources, I eventually ended up throwing myself at the robber's den until the RNG decided to let me kill that red burglar guy.  Slowly I recovered from my absolute poverty, doing deliveries until I could feed myself, get me some allies, and revive my cat (who would continue to die horribly every time, never kill anything, and hate me absolutely).

My next character was a mostly incompetent skillmonkey Farmer.  She had all the neat utility skills and would handle the jobs and stuff, while her little girl would handle murdering everything.  ...Scythes are pretty useless.  Claymores, though, aren't!  Especially artifact 3d12+12 ones.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:53:22 am by Farce »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2011, 01:38:41 am »

In conclusion: You gotta farm dat puppy dungeon.

Not to mention the prize waiting for you when you manage to complete the puppy quest. The ice box is a wonderful item.

Besides api nuts Farce mentioned, herbs and bread also never rot in this game. The herbs (including api nuts) you better give to your pets - pets get more stat boost from herbs than you do.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:42:04 am by kcwong »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2011, 01:48:55 am »

Lies, I have had herbs rot and api nuts collapse.

Also, just found out that I need to have an item identified before I can sell it at full price >_>

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2011, 01:55:16 am »

I remember incorrectly about herbs? But bread definitely never rots. My old character used to buy flour and make bread/cake all the time.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2011, 01:55:58 am »

Oh, right.

The bones, eyes, hearts and blood, all those things, sell for alright money after you ID 'em.  One blood will ID every other blood you get ever, even if it's from another monster.  Same with the other body part items.  I don't think they're asked for in quests, either.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2011, 07:13:03 pm »

Ok I am starting to hit my carrying limit, found too much good stuff i would like to keep around.

I know there is a way to carry more stuff, but I can't figure out how. I thought it was a feat or skill, but I can't find it.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2011, 08:14:48 pm »

Ok I am starting to hit my carrying limit, found too much good stuff i would like to keep around.

I know there is a way to carry more stuff, but I can't figure out how. I thought it was a feat or skill, but I can't find it.

Weight Lifting

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2011, 08:22:38 pm »

Yeah I realized earlier that I was just not visiting the right towns.  :-[

Also.... FREAKING BANDITS THAT WON"T DIE!!!!! I breath fire all over them, then all that's left is their leader, but he can still one-shot me.....I'm level 6 with a named scythe.

Also, potions of cure corruption needed, however the mutations aren't that bad, can't wear some equipment, charisma went down, but get a 24 speed boost and 6 constitution boost.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2011, 08:51:36 pm »

Also, potions of cure corruption needed, however the mutations aren't that bad, can't wear some equipment, charisma went down, but get a 24 speed boost and 6 constitution boost.
Blackjack! Obviously the first thing you should do when you're horribly mutated is gamble.

No, really. I'm serious.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2011, 11:36:24 pm »

Yeah I realized earlier that I was just not visiting the right towns.  :-[

Also.... FREAKING BANDITS THAT WON"T DIE!!!!! I breath fire all over them, then all that's left is their leader, but he can still one-shot me.....I'm level 6 with a named scythe.

Bandits are meant to be tough - they are often generated a bit stronger than your fame suggests. Don't even try to fight them at such a low level. Bandits like to chase you when you have a bit of fame accumulated and are carrying lots of cargo. You can not lug around valuable cargo so they won't be attracted to you. Or instead you can keep some wand/scrolls of teleport with you. Where you will land is random, yes, but using one or two will usually give you the chance to escape.

Cure corruption is indeed rather rare. So buy from shop and stash them if you can. Investing lots of money in a magic shop increases your chance to find one for sale. You can also trade them from NPC adventurers. Marrying your pets is another way, but that involves lots of love potions and gifts.

Also note that the ether winds only occurs in months divisible by 3. They will start around the 10th day, give or take a few days. If you plan ahead you can stay inside a dungeon, or train your skills inside your house/town shelter for the duration, and avoid mutation very easily.

You will eventually get mutated due to monster attacks and the "background radiation" factor, but by then you'll have lots of cure corruption potions ready.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:43:26 pm by kcwong »

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2011, 11:39:48 pm »

Wait, wait, wait. This is a new aspect of Elona to me. You're telling me I can marry little girls to cure corruption?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2011, 12:08:40 am »

I do rather enjoy Elona. I'm currently going around as the mounted bear cavalry police, shooting things with a glass shotgun.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2011, 12:37:38 am »

If they haven't fixed this yet...

There's a great (although cheaty) way to make money.  What you do is you go to that snowy city and buy up the snowman/christmas tree trade goods.  It restocks every like 5-7 days i think, keep doing that for like a year, have a house built right by the city all the way to the west, that port.  Now you use a scroll of return and appear right by the port, sell all the stuff you bought and make millions.  This needs alot of start up money though, but once you get going you'll never run out of cash.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2011, 01:00:26 am »

Wait, wait, wait. This is a new aspect of Elona to me. You're telling me I can marry little girls to cure corruption?

In real world, guests bring wedding gifts to the bride and groom. In Elona, your future spouse gives you a potion of cure corruption!

And there is no limit to how many times you can marry - you just need to get new pets and make them like you enough.

To make pets like you more:
1. Let your pets kill things. They will show a dialog balloon with a heart.
2. Don't let your pets die. You can tell them to go back to town in the middle of a combat, if you are close enough. They will be teleported back to town instantly.
3. Give your pets food laced with love potion. You take a small karma hit doing this, so don't over do it.
4. Give them rings using the gift option (IIRC). The drawback is they will refuse to remove that ring and will equip that ring over everything else.

Once relationship reaches a very high level (showing ??? instead of numbers), you can propose (IIRC an option in talk menu).

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2011, 01:17:45 am »

You can also sell your wife/husband to Raphael in Port Kapul for Gold, Platinum Coins, and Unicorn Horns; but this gets you -15 karma - unless your partner is non-humanoid, which nets you +2 karma.

Bestiality and Polygamy are acceptable in Elona.
Pre-marital sex is considered immoral.
Same-sex sexual activities are considered immoral unless it's post-marital.
Legal Age of Consent is 12 years old.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:24:50 am by Blaze »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 291