Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 569235 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #1365 on: October 31, 2011, 05:07:24 pm »

So what version do you guys play? I downloaded the beta 1.22 because I didn't want to miss out on any new features.  Hopefully there aren't too many bugs.

I'd strongly advise playing both versions, the stable one and the beta, only because they feature completely different music.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: October 31, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »

I'd strongly advise playing both versions, the stable one and the beta, only because they feature completely different music.

No they don't. You're probably just missing the mp3 pack.

So what version do you guys play? I downloaded the beta 1.22 because I didn't want to miss out on any new features.  Hopefully there aren't too many bugs.

I used the original 1.22 without the fanpatch and worked around the bugs. Now that there's a 1.22 fanpatch, I'm using that. I've clocked hundreds of hours into the patched 1.22, and I have yet to encounter a single bug.

You're really best off using 1.22 with the patch.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: October 31, 2011, 06:30:25 pm »

Eh, could be.  The newer version had better music, anyways.  Dunno which would have the mp3 pack, but I do know that each version featured full music, and the music was different.

EDIT: And what I'm saying can be proven by downloading both versions unmoddified, and starting each up.  Different music.   8)

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:11 pm »

No they don't. You're probably just missing the mp3 pack.

I used the original 1.22 without the fanpatch and worked around the bugs. Now that there's a 1.22 fanpatch, I'm using that. I've clocked hundreds of hours into the patched 1.22, and I have yet to encounter a single bug.

You're really best off using 1.22 with the patch.

Where can we found the 1.22 fan patch? I've looking but i found nothing! There is any mods for Elone like new maps or something? Thanks!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: October 31, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13554027/elona.zip

Unzip it over your install of 1.22

All credit goes to Singularity, even though he technically just followed Noa's instructions :P
*Hugs*

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: October 31, 2011, 07:05:57 pm »

Are there any tutorials for this? This game can be pretty confusing.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 31, 2011, 07:48:58 pm »

There's the wiki that should help a very lot :
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Elona_Wiki

read about the tutorial so you avoid wasting some items while the NPC explaining things to you is laughing at you :
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial

I think a good way to start is focusing on making money :
-First, get in town, you'll be able to get a minion, the bear is useless so better get the little girl, as you'll be able to equip her with some good items that will get her into a powerfull ally with time, the bear will only get killed.

- Some NPC will give you a quest (the dog lost in puppy cave, the pirate hideout, the slime infested underground), don't bother for now, you're only going to get your character killed, he's way too weak yet.

-Go to the nearby puppy cave , it's going to be your source of money for a while.

Try to NOT get the little girl killed , she's stronger than you at that point but she's not immortal, and having to get to the town pub and talk to the NPC that has the call ally has a cost in money, and better not lose money too early ingame.

Dying yourself is not advised, even if while you're under level 6 you will not have malus to "potentials" when "crawling up" to life , you'll lose 33% of your carried money, that's a very lot so don't die early.

Don't explore too much of the puppy cave, as the monsters get stronger the lower you dive.

The puppy cave generate a completely new floors every time you exit it and re-enter it, so take advantage of this while you're weak to get an entrance in which you can quickly get books, rods and scrolls without risking too much fighting.

That's what you should do until you have identified most of the books, rods and scrolls.

To get their full sale price instead of ridiculous low ones, you need an item to be identified.
and fetch as much book as possible, books can sell for lot of money -if they're identified-.
Scrolls -identified- sell for less than books, unless you're very lucky and it's a scroll of Oracle , that is very high priced, you want to find them.

Rods can be nice to keep and to sell too, but before selling check the mission panel in the town center, it happens that sometime a "birthday" mission require a specific rod, if you have it, that's often a lot of money and items for you.

Sometime the "birthday" missions require a specific book, so always check the mission panel before selling anything.

For scrolls and books, in town find the NPC that identify item and get him to identify your books before selling them to merchants NPC, but warning do not select to identify you whole inventory early, you have certainly gathered lot of garbage that sell for very few money and are not worth identifying in the beginning of the game, and it costs lot of money.

For the rods you should have no need to pay to identify, go into a wilderness map, better in a corner so you can exit quickly in case it's a summon monsters rod (as it summon hostile ones) , press Z and see what it does, this way you'll be able to identify a rod without paying.

Once an item has been identified once, every item of the same genre will be known to you and will get the full price when selling without needing identification again.

After a while, you will be able to make some nice amount of money, assuming you don't die , as said the 33% loss of money penalty is really a big malus when coming back to life.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 31, 2011, 07:54:34 pm »

Be a Juere Claymore. They're pretty easy, starting with Negotiation and being good at dodging and all that.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:29 pm »

Thanks guys. This should really help. Is there anyway to identify items besides identify scrolls? those cost alot.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 31, 2011, 08:16:56 pm »

Wizards (or something like that, can't remember the exact name) can identify for a fee. They have the same sprite as magic vendors, and in towns are found near Trainers.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: October 31, 2011, 09:48:43 pm »

Okay, wow. The starting equipment really changes how easy it is to get going. Cloth claymore start = terrified of everything for early levels, takes dozens of turns to kill a hermit crab, whereas bronze claymore start = two hitting kobolds at level 1...  ::)

Also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Okay, and a few seconds after that my little girl fell in the well and died. I think the game is telling me something.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:53:44 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:27 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:13:03 am by Ogdibus »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:51 pm »

What is the exact effect of blessing a weapon/armor ?
On the wiki it mention
Blessed things usually are more powerful or have a higher success rate than normal items.
Without any statistics or formula.

So i scum saved and tried with my weapon and noticed absolutely no difference :

before :

after :

All the stats are the same from what i read, so is there something not listed there that improve with blessing ?

edit : for those interested, i found a nice little sprite replacement that keep the original overall design, but improve their quality a lot :
http://elona.squares.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3723#p25013
(file character.bmp inside the combined20100914.zip downloadable there)

There's another replacement character.bmp , but it changes the design of several sprites
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:59:56 pm by Robsoie »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 31, 2011, 10:06:13 pm »

Interesting if I interpreted "prevents aliens from entering your body" litterally... it would include things like disease, sickness, and paracites.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 31, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »

If it wasn't talking specifically about th'chest burstin' impregnatin' sort of alien, anyway. That bonus is pretty literal, heh. Helps prevent you from needing to drink ink. A nice thing~
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 291