Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 566419 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #2625 on: May 22, 2013, 09:48:36 pm »

Personally, I'm a bit weary of using it because of illness. And I'm also not interested in the Wicked feat.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: May 23, 2013, 08:51:11 am »

Worshipping yacatect and having the anatomy skill wll cause huge amounts of monster parts to drop while doing dungeon raids. Very easy way to make money and possibly nets you some nice artifacts that you wouldn't get if you just banged all the town merchants for cash. And even without Yacatect, you can still make decent amounts of money from dungeon raids.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: May 23, 2013, 03:35:41 pm »

I. . . don't actually actively hunt for money. I just do my "thing" and get gold as I go-other resources are of much more concern to me, like breeding pets excessively, or finding cool scrolls and making blessed water bottles. Also materials.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2628 on: May 23, 2013, 09:13:57 pm »

Incidentally one of the first major financial things you should do is invest in weapon and magic shops. They both have great stuff at higher levels. I suggest picking a town and upgrading them in there. I usually go for vernis myself.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: May 24, 2013, 06:38:34 am »

Magic shops definately, and I usually try to invest in all of them first. That way as I'm running errands between the towns I can shop at each of them and by the time I complete the loop the shop in the first town has restocked. The next thing I invest in is the blackmarket vendors in derphy and port kapul, since they seem to have a higher chance of stocking artifacts for sale than the normal blacksmiths.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: May 24, 2013, 08:06:41 am »

. . . Erm, could someone explain what hardened/enchanting weapons for that +# next to their names actually does? I'm not familiar with D&D at all, so I'm a bit lost. I don't see any stat changes, either.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: May 24, 2013, 10:45:31 am »

I believe for weapons it's a +x to damage and hit, and for armor it's +x to PV and DV.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: May 24, 2013, 11:42:47 am »

I believe for weapons it's a +x to damage and hit, and for armor it's +x to PV and DV.

What SirAaronIII said... also, Elona is no D&D at all. This enchanting increasing damage and to hit for weapons is very much a NetHack thing.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: May 24, 2013, 02:40:05 pm »

My Longsword +1 disagrees, unless that mechanic was added to D&D after Nethack was a thing? Not too clear on D&D feature history, but they definitely have +# enchantments for equipment.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: May 25, 2013, 05:13:37 am »

My Longsword +1 disagrees, unless that mechanic was added to D&D after Nethack was a thing? Not too clear on D&D feature history, but they definitely have +# enchantments for equipment.

It's stated so on its official site (http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html "Elona is a freeware roguelike RPG.").

Elona developed its own system, drifting further and further away from its source, and is now unique. You can't easily find this gene engineering, ranching, riding and leashing system elsewhere...

And you see Plus 1 bonus in pretty much all RPGs. My comment was a response to yours (" I'm not familiar with D&D at all, so I'm a bit lost."), informing you that understanding D&D won't help you much.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: May 25, 2013, 05:48:32 am »

Kcwong, I think Kaitol was actually talking about whether enchantments were added to Nethack or D&D first.

Also, he didn't say he wasn't familiar with D&D. That was Markus. This is Kaitol's first post for several pages.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: May 25, 2013, 08:28:05 am »

Sorry, I just thought that somewhere down the line Rougelikes took the +# enchantment thing from D&D, so I figured that if I asked where they were from, I'd get a response going back to nethack, and then someone trying to say nethack got it from D&D, and then a whole off-topic debate about origins of game mechanics and wutnot.

I still succeeded at failing, it appears.

Anyways, I asked here because I didn't see anything on the wiki at the time. Apparently, it's +/-# damage for weapons, +/-2# PV for armor. Additionally, a weapon/armor being blessed/cursed) acts like a +/-1. Seems like hardening weapons and armor in shops can really be worth it. . . even as expensive as it is.

Some other veins of discussion I'd like to open up.

1. Are there better ways to raise MP other than looking for and cooking herbs that increase MAG, WIL, LER, and eating magic fruits?

2. Who are your favorite characters to use the Astral Light Pen on? Personally, I'm wondering if anyone's recruited a high level @ yet. Usually, however, I keep out of vernis and don't buy a new house to recruit the two Elea, instead of going into "The Void" and trying to not get killed there.

3. Does anyone else here want a putit plushie? *putit*

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: May 25, 2013, 10:48:11 am »

Anyways, I asked here because I didn't see anything on the wiki at the time. Apparently, it's +/-# damage for weapons, +/-2# PV for armor. Additionally, a weapon/armor being blessed/cursed) acts like a +/-1. Seems like hardening weapons and armor in shops can really be worth it. . . even as expensive as it is.
Yep, especially early on. One or two additional guaranteed points of damage on your early weapons is simply great.

Hehehe, just got the Business Card from blackjack. As such, I have renamed the class of my character from Warmage to Dakkamancer.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:13:55 pm by alway »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: May 26, 2013, 07:40:35 am »

Worshipping yacatect and having the anatomy skill wll cause huge amounts of monster parts to drop while doing dungeon raids. Very easy way to make money and possibly nets you some nice artifacts that you wouldn't get if you just banged all the town merchants for cash. And even without Yacatect, you can still make decent amounts of money from dungeon raids.
Banging the town is a more reliable way of making money. You can lift 5k everytime and I make sure every shopkeeper in Vernis have around 1m so it takes some time to milk them all. With a few million dollars all you need to do is invest into every shopkeeper you banged and they'll start bringing the good stuff. Everyone is happy!

My 83 CHA sends it's regards.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: May 26, 2013, 08:11:55 am »

Does anyone have any suggestions as how a Farmer worshiping Kumiromi should fight and what equipment they should get? I've been doing well picking up gold and platinum from running the Harvest Time quests as well as occasionally some of the others, and I have purchased a farm and started growing stuff (incidentally, what skill do I need for the "better" seeds?), but I'm not sure what I will need for combat. I do have a disguise kit and a teleportation rod combo, which I understand can be used to purchase guild skills, but which skills should I go for? Right now, I have good physical skills, so I'm leaning melee, so is that a solid plan?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:19:21 am by Un67 »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 291