Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 566460 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #4050 on: December 21, 2014, 11:41:45 am »

That's pretty weird, but you're right. At least, I definitely could not set Palmia's altar on fire with a magatama in my inventory, so that probably just means it stops your own fire attacks from destroying things.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: December 21, 2014, 02:11:47 pm »

I've yet to even see one of those. Doesn't matter though, managed to find a new fireproof blanket and already have some coldproof ones stocked up. Are there any other things that can destroy my items? (Besides acid, i'm pretty good at avoiding slimes and things of that nature.)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: December 22, 2014, 08:45:21 am »

That's pretty weird, but you're right. At least, I definitely could not set Palmia's altar on fire with a magatama in my inventory, so that probably just means it stops your own fire attacks from destroying things.

It's just another case of Engrish... we have plenty of that in Elona already :3

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: December 22, 2014, 09:02:53 am »

It's been a while since I've paid any attention to this. What the hell is INI?

Also, @kcwong, where's your avatar from?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: December 22, 2014, 12:26:42 pm »

Does anyone have any tips on resistances? After getting slaughtered by those damn hounds one too many times I'm kind of looking into how to raise them. Currently I have Superb in sound and chaos, Strong in darkness, Little in mind and pretty much nothing in everything else... is there a fine line in gear that's good physically and the boons they bring? I'm lvl 15.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: December 22, 2014, 01:44:23 pm »

Does anyone have any tips on resistances? After getting slaughtered by those damn hounds one too many times I'm kind of looking into how to raise them. Currently I have Superb in sound and chaos, Strong in darkness, Little in mind and pretty much nothing in everything else... is there a fine line in gear that's good physically and the boons they bring? I'm lvl 15.

I'm in the same boat as you but i think it's mainly just getting lucky with equipment. Mutations can also cause you to gain resistances, but I still get wrecked by things like nerve and illusion hounds which i didn't even know existed.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: December 22, 2014, 05:22:07 pm »

I have a level 120+ character with every skill. HAve not played the recent game, but thought I'd answer some of the newbie questions.

Items Breaking: Fireproof > ice proof by alot. Get these. Store them when you find extras. You will get enough. Later game resistances help alot with stuff breaking. Keep in mind this in only protects carried items, NOT warn items. You have to fireproof and acid proof those items with fireproof liquid and acidproof liquid. again stockpilke these when you find them.

Magatamas: this exists. Not super common. I have found a dozens, but I have played a long time. Eventually you will find one. I don't remember when I got the first one. I think I have seen them in shops that I have invested but not sure when they showed up. THis keeps items from breaking.

Resistances: Level 15... just avoid those things. you will find stuff that will blast you. you get resistances from mutations, but remember they go away when you sleep over time and come back. Best is to just avoid this stuff until you are stronger and get more resistance items more hit points, or range attacks. Level 15 is low. So fight something else. At the VERY late game in the 3rd continent you can do 'artifact fusion'(look it up on wiki). You can combine items into artifacts and this adds resistances. You need a ton of resistance late game, but this is VERY late game and well into Elona+ content. You have to defeat the first 2 continents to get this. So get range attacks, fight easier stuff, levcel and get more HP. Get better pets (bell types are by far the best).

BTW. in the latest version is got much cheaper to buy skills. Prices cap at 15 plat. Used to cap at 50. For that reason do NOT use Blessed Scrolls of Gain attributes to pick up skills. Stockpile them. They are required for artifcat fusion late game and are rare. Buy additional skills with plat. I recommend buying every skill you can afford. Skills train attributes. More skills = more attributes. Eventually you will get all the skills. Build types are for 'early to mid early game play'. eventually you can do everything. Magic > than everything else eventually by miles.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: December 22, 2014, 05:58:56 pm »

Magic > than everything else eventually by miles.

How do you go about training magic anyways? I'm not really sure where to start, only used ranged/melee characters since i started.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: December 22, 2014, 06:08:37 pm »

Since guessingo just brought it up, I'd just like to ask everyone on their thoughts on spellcasting builds. Are they, like, as absurdly grindy as I assume them to be? Needing to build up 6 different skills (literacy, memorization, magic capacity, meditation, casting, magic control), purchase/repurchase spellbooks, read/reread spells for spellstocks, and train every spell you want to use individually sounds like it would get tedious, fast.

EDIT: Ninja'd by 1plemaster1. Guess I'm not alone in this.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:11:03 pm by ShinQuickMan »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: December 22, 2014, 07:41:39 pm »

Memorization isn't super important, as it'll just multiply the amount of stock you get by 100 + your skill level. This is probably the difference between getting 70 stocks and 73 stocks at low levels. Basically, you won't be seeing anything noticeable until probably 50 (that'll mean 1.5x). Spellbooks are much cheaper in E+
Meditation will just rise on its own as long as your MP bar isn't full, so it's also a non-issue. The real problem is keeping its potential high so that it actually gets more than a tiny scrap of exp a turn.
Casting is somewhat important as it makes it more likely you'll succeed at actually casting, but it's not everything. Leveling the spells individually will give you 1% better cast chance per level and cast chance caps out at 90% if you don't level your spells, so you don't really have to go out of your way to raise Casting as long as you pump the spells instead. It doesn't raise damage for us players, but it does for NPCs.
Literacy is probably on the more important end of the scale. No literacy means no higher-end spells: no domination, no speed, and no cure of Jure/Jua/engrish. You'll definitely want to get up to at least the ability to read books of speed, because speed is awesome.
Control Magic is a pain in the butt, but very important. Personally, I just blew it off, but that's a terrible thing to do. You'll probably want to raise it concurrently with your bolts and ball spells, because someone on the wikia said you need more CM for spells to pass through your allies the higher level the spells are. If you wait until your spells are super-strong, they won't pass through your pets and you'll probably just kill them. From what I saw, it certainly looked this way. The more pets you hit with balls/bolts, the faster it'll train, so it's best to get all your pets out and then spam balls on them until they almost die. Be sure to give them resistance gear so that you don't kill them instantly.
Magic Capacity is pretty easy to raise if you spam a lot of curing spells into the negatives. It'll get even easier if you get your hands on the Magic Canceler god reward thing from Itzpalt. guessingo wrote about this a few pages ago.

What I do is learn the spells and then never use them until I've slept enough to get all the ones I want to use to 400% potential. After that, I just spam each spell until it levels once dropping to 360% potential. It goes pretty quickly if you just hotkey them and hold the button down. If you want, you can stagger them out by types (hexes, buffs, attacks, heals) so that you don't get periods where all your spells are at 380% and it'd be a waste to train them compared to 400%.

You definitely want some spell enhancing stuff. At least get the Staff of Insanity. That'll boost damage, hex and buff durations by about 50%.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: December 22, 2014, 08:57:01 pm »

Memorization isn't super important, as it'll just multiply the amount of stock you get by 100 + your skill level. This is probably the difference between getting 70 stocks and 73 stocks at low levels. Basically, you won't be seeing anything noticeable until probably 50 (that'll mean 1.5x). Spellbooks are much cheaper in E+
Meditation will just rise on its own as long as your MP bar isn't full, so it's also a non-issue. The real problem is keeping its potential high so that it actually gets more than a tiny scrap of exp a turn.
Casting is somewhat important as it makes it more likely you'll succeed at actually casting, but it's not everything. Leveling the spells individually will give you 1% better cast chance per level and cast chance caps out at 90% if you don't level your spells, so you don't really have to go out of your way to raise Casting as long as you pump the spells instead. It doesn't raise damage for us players, but it does for NPCs.
Literacy is probably on the more important end of the scale. No literacy means no higher-end spells: no domination, no speed, and no cure of Jure/Jua/engrish. You'll definitely want to get up to at least the ability to read books of speed, because speed is awesome.
Control Magic is a pain in the butt, but very important. Personally, I just blew it off, but that's a terrible thing to do. You'll probably want to raise it concurrently with your bolts and ball spells, because someone on the wikia said you need more CM for spells to pass through your allies the higher level the spells are. If you wait until your spells are super-strong, they won't pass through your pets and you'll probably just kill them. From what I saw, it certainly looked this way. The more pets you hit with balls/bolts, the faster it'll train, so it's best to get all your pets out and then spam balls on them until they almost die. Be sure to give them resistance gear so that you don't kill them instantly.
Magic Capacity is pretty easy to raise if you spam a lot of curing spells into the negatives. It'll get even easier if you get your hands on the Magic Canceler god reward thing from Itzpalt. guessingo wrote about this a few pages ago.

What I do is learn the spells and then never use them until I've slept enough to get all the ones I want to use to 400% potential. After that, I just spam each spell until it levels once dropping to 360% potential. It goes pretty quickly if you just hotkey them and hold the button down. If you want, you can stagger them out by types (hexes, buffs, attacks, heals) so that you don't get periods where all your spells are at 380% and it'd be a waste to train them compared to 400%.

You definitely want some spell enhancing stuff. At least get the Staff of Insanity. That'll boost damage, hex and buff durations by about 50%.

PArtially agree with this. Mage builds.

Rule 1. dont do a mage build. Do something else and over time get all the skills. With the new versions skills only cost 15 plat. Get them all. All skills train attributes. So not having skills = lower attributes and at 15 plat its super cheap. Also only guild worth joining is the mage guild even if your a fighter or theif. There is a spellbook store there that is critical to get enough spells. The stuff you get in other guilds can be replaced elsewhere and isn't important.

Mage Skills:

Memorization: Yeah this is useful. More spells = more casts. Skill strength goes up from use. Also when you read books you train both memorization and literacy. If you don't havec memorizaton you train just literacy. All skills train stats. THese two train learning. So you get half the learning training if you don't have memorization. Learning was nerfed for a while, but check the wiki, it helps training speed. The bonus is negligible for a while , but later game its massive. I think my training speed goes up by 250%. I posted (i dont have an account) in the learning page on the wiki how I tested this.

Meditation: goes up on its own. later in the game you will need to spend training points and plat on this. you need the mana... you use alot as game goes on. just let it go up on its own.

Literacy: gots to have this. or no spells. get this and memorization early.
Casting: gots to have this or spells fail. this also trains magic. Magic gives more mana and makes spells stronger.
Control Magic: get bells. they have damage reduction. level them some. get them the armor type that gives life (I forget which material type, havent played in a few months). this will get them enough hit points. Get area affect spells. Hot key them with like 7. Attack your pets and this will go up.
Magic Capacity: Easy to train. also easy to suicide. This one trains willpower. I have posted tricks to raise this massively even with low potentials in this thread somewhere back. Do a search. i also put it on the magic capacity page in the wiki in the posts. I don't have an account, so its anonymous post. The info in the wiki about training this is wrong. Note, I died quite a bit doing this cause Im stupid, but i got massive amounts of willpower out of it. so worth it.

Hot key spells and hold them down to train. you sleep to get spell potentials back up. they top out at 400. so do this while they go up fast. then when potentials stopo do other stuff until you sleep enough for them to go back up. Pick one or 2 bolt spells to max out. I mainly use lightning. you also need to use one that does magic damage, but those books don't come early. don't both all the bolt spells. way too much trouble.

Thenb just play and use spells/ buffs as you play. as you get stronger you will go damn. magic kicks ass. and switch over. but do not start as a mage or your dead. this game is a little different its so damn long now you get all the skills and become uber badass, but mobs are worse and they can still toast me.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: December 23, 2014, 06:23:20 pm »

I'm trying to get into the Mages' Guild to be trained in memorization and other Magic skills but I'm having a really hard time finding the ancient books required. I've only found 2 so far, 1 of which i was able to decode. Is there a specific place that makes it easy to find them?

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: December 23, 2014, 10:51:51 pm »

Which is the recommended version of Elona to play these days, and where can i get it?

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: December 23, 2014, 11:51:01 pm »

I'm trying to get into the Mages' Guild to be trained in memorization and other Magic skills but I'm having a really hard time finding the ancient books required. I've only found 2 so far, 1 of which i was able to decode. Is there a specific place that makes it easy to find them?

it takes a while. you will find in dungeons and on some jobs. just stash them and when you get enough you join. One of the reasons why you dont start as a mage build... start as fighter and over time get all the skills.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: December 24, 2014, 05:40:48 am »

Which is the recommended version of Elona to play these days, and where can i get it?
Elona+
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 291