Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 569635 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #4245 on: December 07, 2017, 09:46:39 pm »

Its been a long time i didnt play this game, about the same time that roguelike mech game was around i think? gear something?
Gearhead, http://www.gearheadrpg.com/
also a good game, and about as opaque as elona.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: December 12, 2017, 08:30:58 pm »

Its been a long time i didnt play this game, about the same time that roguelike mech game was around i think? gear something?
Gearhead, http://www.gearheadrpg.com/
also a good game, and about as opaque as elona.
Wow, I thought Gearhead was dead

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: December 12, 2017, 11:47:46 pm »

Uhhhh, I went to play the game and all that happens is a window opens and immediately closes. I don't even know where to start to figure out what went wrong. I didn't mess with anything in the folder I keep the game in.

If I re-download the game and just move the save-file, will everything with my world be saved?

And today it works. I have no idea wtf is going on. Unless Elona+ running is literally determined by some sort of server connection???
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:58:59 pm by Micro102 »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: December 12, 2017, 11:55:26 pm »

If the game you were playing was from before Noa took down the net-aspect servers, then the game will just close immediately.

Elona+ devs have done pretty well in keeping save compatibility, but YMMV depending on how old it is.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: December 13, 2017, 01:07:21 am »

Hmmm, I downloaded it a couple of months ago. It's version 1.71. I played it a few days ago.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: December 13, 2017, 11:12:00 am »

I decided to make give this game a good, honest try. After splatting a number of characters almost immediately, I've ended up with one that I'm decently happy with (who has also died... I think 3 or 4 times now, but is otherwise doing well.)

Is it normal that there doesn't seem to be any middle ground between monsters that I (or my pet) can one-shot and monsters that can one-shot me (or my pet)? I have both healing potions and a healing spell learned, but I never get to use them because if something gets close enough to hit me it seems to be pretty much fatal.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: December 13, 2017, 11:51:45 am »

I decided to make give this game a good, honest try. After splatting a number of characters almost immediately, I've ended up with one that I'm decently happy with (who has also died... I think 3 or 4 times now, but is otherwise doing well.)

Is it normal that there doesn't seem to be any middle ground between monsters that I (or my pet) can one-shot and monsters that can one-shot me (or my pet)? I have both healing potions and a healing spell learned, but I never get to use them because if something gets close enough to hit me it seems to be pretty much fatal.

Vanilla or +? Are you trying to start a Wizard character? Wizard starts are hell.
Also, advice: Rods of Teleport. They're a lifesaver.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: December 13, 2017, 12:11:09 pm »

+, a warrior, but a mutant warrior, so I've only got a torso and a head slot at the moment.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: December 13, 2017, 12:32:17 pm »

+, a warrior, but a mutant warrior, so I've only got a torso and a head slot at the moment.

Mutant, yeah; a bit more of a long term investment, that is. And you're in the hands of RNGesus for your slots.
Would definitely explain why some mobs are just able to splatter your character, not enough armor. Look out for high PV giving equipment, stockpile any scrolls of oracle you can find, they're great for trading to the wandering adventurers in exchange for gear. Really, the early game is about getting non-crap equipment, I'd say; and as a mutant, well.... It does get better for them, as you will get more slots as you level, but as I said earlier, exactly what slots you get is up to RNGesus, unless you save-scum.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: December 13, 2017, 01:15:29 pm »

I don't think i ever played a melee character in Elona, so i have no idea how is the balance for melee.

All i ever did was spell attack + teleport to avoid insta death from nearly everything in melee as my wizards were always rather squishy , but they did pack a big punch in spells so i never minded the insta death in melee as i always did my best to never be in melee position, letting that to my allies instead.

Currently running a new character Lich Wizard in 1.73 + Elona Custom 1.73.1 and while i just reached level 6 thanks to hunting missions i've been having fun again as it had been a long time i didn't play.
Got my character "pregnant" unfortunately by drinking in a well, spawned a few aliens already (and was surprised that squishy wizard never died from the bleeding of it), got rid of it by getting the character drunk enough to vomit all over the place, but he died before vomitting the infestation source.

Fortunately crawling up from the grave get rid of the problem too :)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:53 pm »

Melee is generally pretty fair for most things except trying to catch and kill really fast things.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: December 13, 2017, 02:34:53 pm »

Never played a mutant but having no legs sounds like a good way to have no speed. And when you have like, 20 speed, things can hit you ten times in one of your turns. If you do have low speed, I suggest getting riding ASAP.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: December 13, 2017, 06:34:11 pm »

Was doing a hunting quest at Palmia and noticed a "wing snail" , a monster that was introduced in elona+ only
My companion rushed it and while doing the killing blow with the decapitating special scythe i gave her, the wing snail asked me to be friend ?
I accepted and obtained a new companion in my party, a wing snail

"anything wrong ?"
yes indeed there was something wrong, as the continuum was just shattered by this turn of event as while the wing snail was following us, it was also dead on the ground at the same time as i could pick the figurine and card of it.

Anyways, being unfamiliar with this monster as an ally, i looked at the wiki to see if there's some special ability or nice thing to know with this monster and
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Wing_snail
He might look weak and terrible at first glance, but make no mistake: he is weak and terrible. It seems to be a kind of joke character. He is probably intended to be a ranged character, but his terrible speed would make raising him tough.
just my luck :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: December 14, 2017, 12:01:02 pm »

In Elona+ there's an adventurer seminar building in which you attend classes and after asking 4 questions , you can get a random item.
Unfortunately the dialogues are untranslated even with elona custom so far , so when the npc are talking it's all blank.
So i imagine that must be very boring for the people assisting to such seminar, and so it's not surprising one of the guys attending there decided he had enough :

I guess that's one way to escape the seminar.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: December 14, 2017, 12:11:50 pm »

I just figured you could get the lost pet back after they die, it makes being a wizard much easier now to have my meathead beloved little girl back. Shame I sold the leash though. Can my best companion properly use a Balista? It ways 50 weight points and I'm curious what its ammo is, because if I try and heft it around I get crushed.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 291