Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 91

Author Topic: Programming Help Thread (For Dummies)  (Read 95838 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Help Thread (For Dummies)
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 06:44:32 am »

So, it's n00b question time! What skill/language will I need to make stuff, actual stuff appear on screen? I'm sick of seeing the DOS window.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2011, 06:50:49 am »

SDL?
Any other opinions? This bit gets subjective. The easy way is using Visual Studio, but that isn't ideal for graphics, just user forms.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2011, 07:06:10 am »

So, it's n00b question time! What skill/language will I need to make stuff, actual stuff appear on screen? I'm sick of seeing the DOS window.
Depends on what you want. Windows-like UI? 2D graphics? 3D graphics? I'm currently forgoing expanding my own 3D engine, I've learned enough, and looking into using Ogre3D.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 07:58:25 am »

I'm a Qt-vangelist, so I'm bound by oath to suggest Qt. If you're still at the "This is a variable. This is a loop. This is a function call" stage of learning then maybe you should stick with the DOS window for a little while longer though.

You could try some basic OpenGL tutorials to break the monotony. People seem to get a kick out of those. "Yay, there's  a colored triangle on my screen and I made it happen!".
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:01:47 am by olemars »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 08:05:25 am »

Anybody know of any good dedicated game programming forums? Not that I don't have faith in you guys, but an entire active forum of programmers, all with more experiences then myself, is an asset I can not pass up.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2011, 08:11:26 am »

http://www.gamedev.net is good. News, articles and a big forum.

The Ogre3D forums have a lot of skilled people on them too, although it helps if what you're doing is 3D related.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2011, 08:12:32 am »

Na, flat as yo momma.
OH SNAP!

Sorry, I apologise, but thanks for the link.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2011, 08:57:50 am »

Depends on what you want. Windows-like UI? 2D graphics? 3D graphics? I'm currently forgoing expanding my own 3D engine, I've learned enough, and looking into using Ogre3D.

I'm probably going to do 2D, although 3D would be preferable. Time for some Ogre3D tutorials.

I'm a Qt-vangelist, so I'm bound by oath to suggest Qt. If you're still at the "This is a variable. This is a loop. This is a function call" stage of learning then maybe you should stick with the DOS window for a little while longer though.

I just finished that semester, and I don't have any more c++ until the fall. This makes me sad.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2011, 09:00:02 am »

What level c++ are we talking? High school or uni? Because the jump between them can be very dramatic.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2011, 09:01:46 am »

Somewhere in between. Community College.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2011, 09:08:06 am »

Ah, well I have never been, so not sure of the level of work they ask of you. I remember walking out of high school all smug because I thought I could program, then I got into uni, and mind was blown. Now I have some what of a more accurate measure of my abilities, and know what I can and can't do, I hope.

EDIT:
http://www.gamedev.net is good. News, articles and a big forum.

Well read some articles, was interesting, wishing to register for the forums now, and it is asking me what payment package I want. Looks like forum membership isn't free. Any that are?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2011, 09:20:20 am »

All of the work at CC is "University Standard" according to all the sources I can readily find. It just seems to be cheaper because it's a smaller public school.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2011, 09:30:19 am »

Ah, well in that case, if I had to guess, you are first year. By the end of the year they are never going to let you get away with code like that. Not in c++ anyway, for c they would.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2011, 10:08:16 am »

Indeed I am. Prof actually made me fix my "formatting issues" before I was allowed to turn in the project.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2011, 10:35:13 am »

Community College programming language classes are about the same as university. The big difference between the two programs is that in CC, they skip the higher maths and theory. Its enough to make you a "programmer", but not an "analyst".

For graphics? I would choose not to use c++ and instead pick a language that supports it a bit more easily.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 91