Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292494 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #5895 on: April 28, 2016, 11:12:41 pm »

I know. It's not that he's particularly tough, it's just that the game forces you to fight him and two dogs in an extremely small space. Being forced to fight fast and hard-hitting enemies in tight quarters is not fun in the slightest. It doesn't help that it comes after the Gargoyles, which are even worse. At least the bosses get way more fun to fight after those two, so you just have to slog through them to get to the good stuff.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5896 on: April 28, 2016, 11:19:32 pm »

I've died often to Capra and 99% of the time it's before I kill his dogs. Afterward though, just like with the Taurus Demon, if you've beaten the game any number of times you're probably gotten very good at dodging his moves because of your practice against the minor demons in the Demon Ruins.

But yeah for Taurus and Capra the real challenge is the environment, rather than the bosses themselves.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: April 28, 2016, 11:26:32 pm »

Go to Darkroot Forest and find the Stone Armor set. Acquire the Drake Sword by shooting off the wyvern's tail. Follow these steps, and even a two year old can crush the Capra Demon. On your second run, once you've 'got gud', you can try him without these crutches.

Further tip: Ditch the Drake Sword for something that scales before you enter Sen's Fortress, or you're going to get wrecked.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: April 28, 2016, 11:41:53 pm »

I've fought the Capra Demon a freaking lot in my Dark Souls blitz. The little confined space you're in is barely enough to safely fight the boss himself, let alone his furry friends. Basically, it depends how swiftly you can roll over to the stairs and get to the ledge that the demon can't get to you on but the dogs can. Once you've done that and killed the dogs, the Capra Demon becomes a fair bit easier. You can then repeatedly plunging attack him while remaining mostly safe in the process.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5899 on: April 29, 2016, 12:26:03 am »

In my SL1 playthrough the plunging attack was not a very safe option because falling does so much damage, so instead I just relied on learning his moves until I could roll through them.

E: If you're more patient than me you could grind some souls and just buy a crapload of firebombs.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:44:53 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: April 29, 2016, 05:31:58 am »

I've fought the Capra Demon a freaking lot in my Dark Souls blitz. The little confined space you're in is barely enough to safely fight the boss himself, let alone his furry friends. Basically, it depends how swiftly you can roll over to the stairs and get to the ledge that the demon can't get to you on but the dogs can. Once you've done that and killed the dogs, the Capra Demon becomes a fair bit easier. You can then repeatedly plunging attack him while remaining mostly safe in the process.
Forget plunging attacks. Get yourself a staff and a basic spell, or just a ton of firebombs, and blast away.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: April 29, 2016, 05:47:31 am »

Thanks for all the advice but, like USEC assumed, I'm no greenhorn. (To anything pre-gargoyles, but I only beat them once, and with phantom help when I had Xbox Live a few years ago.)

I do remember the elevators but I only did so after repairing my sword and I forgot about Andre too. It was still worth it. :P I think I'll stick with the broadsword for now, though, because it upgrades pretty well and I believe it scales. Plus if I can stagger on block I can get a max of six hits in from one combo with my current stamina, which is pretty useful against said respawning Church Knights.
Black lives matter.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: April 29, 2016, 10:20:37 am »

I do remember the elevators but I only did so after repairing my sword and I forgot about Andre too. It was still worth it. :P I think I'll stick with the broadsword for now

It's just not the authentic Dark Souls experience if you aren't using an ultra-greatsword. Zweihander is love, zweihander is life.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: April 29, 2016, 10:25:10 am »

Thanks for all the advice but, like USEC assumed, I'm no greenhorn. (To anything pre-gargoyles, but I only beat them once, and with phantom help when I had Xbox Live a few years ago.)

You'll have fun with the rest of the game then. Actual fun that is, not !!FUN!!. Except when the game expects you to fight enemies on narrow ledges. Then the game gets bullshit again. From what I accumilated off of the internet, I thought that poison wouls be a big problem in Blighttown. Unless you have crap HP it's not. Fighting on those tiny ledges killed me many, many more times than poison ever did.

I think I'll stick with the broadsword for now, though, because it upgrades pretty well and I believe it scales.

You can tell if a weapon scales by the A/B/C/D/etc. in the bottom-left corner when you check its detailed stats. Most weapons scale, so I'd be surprised if the broadsword isn't one of them. Mind you, the damage formula in this game is kinda weird. More damage doesn't always translate to taking off more HP from an enemy. I think that it's something to do with damage types and weapon movesets. But when a halberd you find near the start of the game inflicts more damage than a Black Knight Axe despite having a lower damage value it makes everything seem kinda screwy. Not that I'm complaining. The base halberd is hands-down my favourite weapon.

It's just not the authentic Dark Souls experience if you aren't using an ultra-greatsword. Zweihander is love, zweihander is life.

Go halberd or go home.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: April 29, 2016, 10:49:48 am »

At least it isn't Dark Souls 2, where the standard Club is practically the best weapon in the game for PvE due to the fact 99% of enemies are weak to Strike damage. (Yes I know there are better strike weapons, I'm exaggerating.)

And Gargoyle Halberd best halberd. Fite me

Anyway, the only weapons that don't scale in Dark Souls 1, to the best of my knowledge, are the Dragon weapons like the Drake Sword.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: April 29, 2016, 10:52:26 am »

I don't have 22 Strength and two-handing is stupid. I can't live without my 100% Physical reduction. ;-;

I think it's to do with the different types of Physical damage? There's, uh, Slash, Thrust, and some others, and everything blocks a different amount of each. I would assume the Axe is Slash while the Halberd is Thrust (except the strong hit) and not as many enemies block Thrust as well as Slash.

Although, uh, as long as Blighttown doesn't include massive Stamina-draining enemies that can stagger and subsequently poison me I should be okay. Kicks break blocks for days, you fools.

also halberds suck because of that stupid stumble animation
Black lives matter.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: April 29, 2016, 10:54:41 am »

I've found that 85% reduction, in Dark Souls 3 at least, is fine. I use the Grass Crest shield, because in addition to that it has better elemental blocks than any 100% physical block shield I've seen and stamina regen bonus. Which stacks with the Chloranthy Ring.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: April 29, 2016, 11:59:28 am »

And Gargoyle Halberd best halberd. Fite me

It's a halberd. I am okay with this.

also halberds suck because of that stupid stumble animation

Get out. You only stumble if you miss. If you are good enough to hit then the recovery animation is fairly quick.

I think it's to do with the different types of Physical damage? There's, uh, Slash, Thrust, and some others, and everything blocks a different amount of each. I would assume the Axe is Slash while the Halberd is Thrust (except the strong hit) and not as many enemies block Thrust as well as Slash.

Probably. It just seems weird at how consistant it is though. The halberd was just always better, even against enemies that the Greataxe was supposed to deal extra damage to. It was weird.

Although, uh, as long as Blighttown doesn't include massive Stamina-draining enemies that can stagger and subsequently poison me I should be okay. Kicks break blocks for days, you fools.

Nope. It has none of them. And no dudes with shields either.

I've found that 85% reduction, in Dark Souls 3 at least, is fine. I use the Grass Crest shield, because in addition to that it has better elemental blocks than any 100% physical block shield I've seen and stamina regen bonus. Which stacks with the Chloranthy Ring.

Yeah. You don't need 100% damage reduction. Unless you have very low health or not Estrus Flasks, scratch damage isn't going to be much of a problem. Generally you die after falling off a ledge or getting combo'd, not worn down. At least in my experience.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: April 29, 2016, 12:19:42 pm »

100% Physical or riot. No exceptions.
Also, I wish there was a way to respawning non-respawning (non-boss) enemies manually. I want to fight, say, the first Black Knight again. :(
Black lives matter.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: April 29, 2016, 12:39:26 pm »

You can. It's called New Game Plus. :v I never said that it was the most practical method.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 709