Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167086 times)

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #390 on: May 23, 2011, 09:07:36 pm »

I hope that's not the case, I feel like training up 30 legendary biters and then dropping them down a hole.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 23, 2011, 11:31:21 pm »

Wow, so per the new dev post a lot of the formerly "useless" adventure mode stats are about to become quite useful. It sounds like this is gonna be a big step in the direction of "Adventure Role : Treasure Hunter"

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #392 on: May 24, 2011, 01:34:57 am »

Yeah this update seems to be bloating over the borders of caravan arc, and I love it!
The caravan stuff never sounded too interesting, but this sounds like lots of fun!
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 24, 2011, 02:38:51 am »

Yeah this update seems to be bloating over the borders of caravan arc, and I love it!
The caravan stuff never sounded too interesting, but this sounds like lots of fun!

Well the Caravan Arc gets us  more realistic supply/demand economic activity, and all sorts of economic activity happening in-game post worldgen that we can see and interact with in Adventure mode(plus Fort Mode of course). This means lots of Fun! "economic" sounds boring...until you remember that "economic activity" basically means "all activity". Its the reasons that stuff happens in a real world. So with a dynamic in-game economy post-worldgen we go from a static world with a few canned quests and fake trade activity to a dynamic world that you can interact with and impact dynamically, while still being able to do the canned quests if you want. (though eventually I assume the goal is to not have any canned quests at all, ideally things to do should just arise automatically from out of the simulated game world without needing to be canned)

In Adventure Mode terms, when the Caravan Arc is done we get caravan raiding or protecting, trading(everything from running your own caravan to building up a world-spanning trade empire, big interesting towns/cities with tons of stuff to do in them, seeing NPC's actually do stuff as you move around in Adventure mode, buying and selling property(build up a real estate empire?), building your own locations, more sophisticated companions and hirelings etc. All the stuff from the Caravan Arc dev page.
  Then later the 'Army Arc' gets the political entities in the game to actually start struggling for control over all of this, with we players getting to play a larger role in that stuff. I shiver at the possibilities.

Anyway I'm rambling, preaching to the choir here mostly I suppose ;) This was supposed to be a couple sentences and it grew out of control. I do get excited about the possibilities.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 24, 2011, 02:45:03 am »

well, it is a lot useful even if 'boring', because it will allow to create fortress in previously unsuitable areas.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #395 on: May 24, 2011, 02:55:27 am »

Gotta say, this night creature/necromancer/tomb building stuff is really awesome and I've started checking the devlog every day again. Did toady ever say what is being worked on in this release? Because I'm wondering how far along it is or what he has left to do/add.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #396 on: May 24, 2011, 03:05:11 am »

well, it is a lot useful even if 'boring', because it will allow to create fortress in previously unsuitable areas.

But with more effort.

You might be able to order caravan of nothing but 100 Steel Bars, but if traders do not have demand for rock crafts or ex-goblin clothing or roasts, It you are going to be fairly screwed.

Imagine fort where you are forced to make furniture for export, for example - where you set up carpenter to make wooden furinture and encrust/stud/decorate hell of it.

Or fort where you actually export weapons/armor like real dwarf instead of seccond-hand clothing and snacks.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 24, 2011, 03:11:20 am »

Will the raised dead retain experience (skills) and attributes?
For example, will legendary fighters be more dangerous than others?

Judging by everything we've heard so far, the raised corpses/body parts have no connection to the mind/soul of the owner, therefore they won't (or at least shouldn't) have its skills.

But they WILL have the body stats, perhaps diminished a little. Superdwarven strength, speed and toughness.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 24, 2011, 05:28:29 am »

It would be awesome to go up against an old undead adventurer who had retained all the skills. But then I suppose it doesn't make that much sense. So maybe if they're just zombies and such they just retain the physical stats. However with the new nightcreatures and whatnot, it'd be interesting if you got raised or turned into a monster or something after death, that kept the physical stats - like the vampires we've been hearing about.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 24, 2011, 05:32:34 am »

Will Dwarfs become more sophisticated in how they react to danger?

For example, that classic Dwarf Fortress situation where an unconscious troll several Z levels down manages to scare away everyone. Could that behaviour be altered? Perhaps you could make it even more !!FUN!! than before, by making Dwarfs naturally inclined to cluster around unconscious enemies and gawk. Forcing you to either kill the creature, get the crowds to move along, or accept what happens when an enemy wakes up surrounded by pointing children.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34:38 am »

They can't be removed either, not by adventurers. So going to an old fort you built to defend against sieges, that's a one way trip through 3+ weapon attacks you have absolutely no choice about. Could end up lethal in Adventure Mode depending on what you built them out of.

The easiest way to prevent these situations it not allow them to arise in the first place. If dwarves (and animals... and caravans...) were disallowed to walk on trapped squares in fortress mode, players would have to have proper trap-free entrances that adventurers could look for.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 24, 2011, 07:55:10 am »

The last devlog shows that you can detect traps... I suppose we can disarm them too.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
I am a Goober.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 24, 2011, 08:23:17 am »

If there's a bad luck curse, there should be a luck stat.
Who says there is not? But luck is such a fickle thing it might be better off hidden from the player.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #404 on: May 24, 2011, 09:40:27 am »

Quote from: devlog
...including the odd dwarf.

Silly Toady, all dwarves are odd.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 298