Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167041 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2565 on: October 25, 2011, 10:29:54 pm »

Currently, we get "Urist has drowned!", "Urist has bled to death!", etc. It is often possible to fast-zoom to the location using the stocks menu or a combat report, or an auto-pause setting. The cause of death, such as an attacker, is often just standing there next to the body.

How will a blood-drinking vampire murder be announced? Will it be obvious who the attacker was?

I'd hope that I can't simply identify the vampire because he's the only dwarf standing in the room next to the guy who just died of blood loss.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: October 26, 2011, 12:26:11 am »

Toady considering the world's cultures. Where do you think Mummies will go with that in consideration?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: October 26, 2011, 12:52:58 am »

Reading the latest dev logs I now can envision it perfectly, the vampire detection system! All new migrants are now placed into the military and made to fight a captured goblin. If they are a vampire then they should have no problem at all killing a goblin, allowing us to immediately execute them where they stand. And if the goblin kills them then of well, they were just a migrant anyways. Mandatory entrance exams for everyone!

And I'm all with thvaz, if I have devlogs that allow me to read about the cool new features that are coming, I'm willing to wait easily twice as long for the next update then without them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: October 26, 2011, 12:56:57 am »

Reading the latest dev logs I now can envision it perfectly, the vampire detection system! All new migrants are now placed into the military and made to fight a captured goblin. If they are a vampire then they should have no problem at all killing a goblin, allowing us to immediately execute them where they stand. And if the goblin kills them then of well, they were just a migrant anyways. Mandatory entrance exams for everyone!

And I'm all with thvaz, if I have devlogs that allow me to read about the cool new features that are coming, I'm willing to wait easily twice as long for the next update then without them.

I can't wait until my Masons create the Vampire trip wire and the Vampire detection alarms.

Combined with the home security datapad my fortress will be impenetrable.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: October 26, 2011, 01:11:27 am »

Kill them? I will put them in separate section of fortress with milkers etc and use as elite soldiers (see my signature, it will be really useful). And I will keep goblin from killing anybody! BTW, I hope that they kill list may be revealed.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: October 26, 2011, 01:35:53 am »

I love the bonus features we get from features creeps. Historical figures as migrants is something I always dreamt of.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: October 26, 2011, 01:51:35 am »

One time you'll get that adventurer you made. Only he's made friends with everyone in the migrant group, and they're all useless. Once one of them dies...he goes into berserk and your fortress crumbles to its end.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: October 26, 2011, 01:57:46 am »

I love the bonus features we get from features creeps. Historical figures as migrants is something I always dreamt of.

We welcome bug 972: Historic figure dies of old age when migrating ( http://216.97.239.212/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=972 ). Now it will be even more depressing, in fort older than 10 years large part of historic figures will do the same.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: October 26, 2011, 02:01:42 am »

We welcome bug 972: Historic figure dies of old age when migrating ( http://216.97.239.212/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=972 ). Now it will be even more depressing, in fort older than 10 years large part of historic figures will do the same.

Which will probably be fixed in this update.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: October 26, 2011, 02:09:39 am »

Well, it requires worldgen going during fort mode and it is yet another feature creep and will result in many, many, many crash type bugs.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2575 on: October 26, 2011, 02:26:13 am »

It sounds kind of exploity thou ... five year world, gen dozens of demigod adventurers as backbone of your military...

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: October 26, 2011, 02:31:25 am »

OMG, this game is fully moddable, I can add adamantium from nothing reaction, disable invasions, modify dwarves to have [NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP] and size 1999191919928. And then wall inside. Godlike adventure character is nothing.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: October 26, 2011, 03:11:41 am »

Well, it requires worldgen going during fort mode and it is yet another feature creep and will result in many, many, many crash type bugs.

You are some kind of bug doomsayer now, aren't you?

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: October 26, 2011, 03:35:14 am »

What happens if a vampire was unmasked? Is it possible to keep him after a non-lethal punishment? And does he try to behave after he was punished? Like, only drinking blood from animals or volunteers from that point and stuff?

Damn it would be so fun having a somewhat tamed vampire in your army C:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:42:08 am by Alu »
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: October 26, 2011, 03:37:34 am »

Currently, we get "Urist has drowned!", "Urist has bled to death!", etc. It is often possible to fast-zoom to the location using the stocks menu or a combat report, or an auto-pause setting. The cause of death, such as an attacker, is often just standing there next to the body.

How will a blood-drinking vampire murder be announced? Will it be obvious who the attacker was?

I'd hope that I can't simply identify the vampire because he's the only dwarf standing in the room next to the guy who just died of blood loss.
I'd guess they'll be using some variant of the sneaking system, like undetected thieves and ambushes, so they'll probably be invisible to the player.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 298