Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1005 1006 [1007] 1008 1009 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1233920 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends - Patch 5.1 - Open the Gates
« Reply #15090 on: August 29, 2015, 05:25:29 am »

okay those last two posts are making it REALLY difficult for me not to make snide comments about riot

so i'll just sum up without most of the snide:

no replays, Strategic Diversity™

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #15091 on: August 29, 2015, 05:30:23 am »

So, why did you hide all the other people again, FD? That's a massively high profile game with Pro players.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15092 on: August 29, 2015, 05:31:34 am »

Maybe it's just that it's 6:30 AM here, but are you sure you didn't mistake "snide" for "clarity", because I have no idea what you're trying to imply and I'm used to parsing your passive-aggressive sniping.  :-\

Also the outcome of these matches are exactly what you'd expect.

So, why did you hide all the other people, FD? That's a massively high profile game with Pro players.
Spoilers man. I mean we all knew what was going to happen, but this way people who didn't get to watch it on stream still have the excitement of seeing exactly how bad SKT need to be banned for cyberbullying.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #15093 on: August 29, 2015, 05:35:19 am »

You do realise you're just opening yourself up to being accused of hiding the rest of the team's composition, the opposing team's composition, the state of the game and so forth, right? Faker might have been building Nashors as a situational item since the other team had people he could stick to. It's not like there was a Viktor or Ashe on the enemy team or anything like that.
The circle is complete.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15094 on: August 29, 2015, 05:36:23 am »

Maybe it's just that it's 6:30 AM here, but are you sure you didn't mistake "snide" for "clarity", because I have no idea what you're trying to imply and I'm used to parsing your passive-aggressive sniping.  :-\

Jeez, if I'm usually passive-aggressive about this than I can see why people get angry, passive-aggression annoys me, must not be self-aware enough to recognize that other people would recognize it as such (which I guess means that it kind of is but ANYWAY)

anyway, you had to go through a friggin twitch stream and post ludicrously low-quality snippets to show your point instead of using something more reasonable like a replay system (for higher-res snippets) and I almost replied to this:

As I said, fuck the heal and give back that easy combo and reliable harass.

with something dumb like "then play like 25% of the other champions in the game"
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 05:47:27 am by Putnam »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #15095 on: August 29, 2015, 05:46:12 am »

To be fair, it is a snippet from the Korean Championship.
The circle is complete.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #15096 on: August 29, 2015, 12:10:53 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:50:08 pm by Toady One »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15097 on: August 29, 2015, 12:34:08 pm »

You do realise you're just opening yourself up to being accused of hiding the rest of the team's composition, the opposing team's composition, the state of the game and so forth, right? Faker might have been building Nashors as a situational item since the other team had people he could stick to. It's not like there was a Viktor or Ashe on the enemy team or anything like that.
If someone tries that I'll laugh at them for being too lazy to check a match that's up on Youtube when I gave them exactly what it was. That was match 2, btw.

Jeez, if I'm usually passive-aggressive about this than I can see why people get angry, passive-aggression annoys me, must not be self-aware enough to recognize that other people would recognize it as such (which I guess means that it kind of is but ANYWAY)

anyway, you had to go through a friggin twitch stream and post ludicrously low-quality snippets to show your point instead of using something more reasonable like a replay system (for higher-res snippets) and I almost replied to this:

As I said, fuck the heal and give back that easy combo and reliable harass.

with something dumb like "then play like 25% of the other champions in the game"

Sorry, I was a bit rude about that. But yeah, maybe it's just me, but you do come off that way sometimes (though honestly given that it's pretty much all Riot-oriented I can understand that  :P).

In regards to Darius, it's specifically because of the niche he filled. He was a solid bruiser and consistently decent, but not really a top-of-the-pile pick that's constantly picked/banned. What he was excellent as, and what I and others often picked him for, was his capability as an anti-lane bully. His kit gave him high base damage and inbuilt scaling, which meant that even if you died a couple times and built tank, you could come out of lane phase without being useless. More importantly, both his kit and his high early damage made him excellent for dealing with a lot of traditional lane bullies -- I loved picking him against Rivens and Teemos in particular, as I've mentioned before.

You had a very strong level 2 all-in that was practically designed to counter other early all-ins; you started Q and tried to land at least one or two before level 2, which was generally only possible against champions that were also trying to establish early dominance (unless the enemy laner just sucked, ofc.), and then at level 2 you grabbed E and instantly did a Q+E+AA+Ignite combo, which was usually enough to secure a kill. Again, only worked if the enemy laner was looking to trade or all-in on their powerspike.

E is great, both because of the innate Armor Pen, and also because of how it let you fuck with the positioning and timing of champions like, again, Riven, or with a good flash to grab Jayce and force a melee fight on your terms, while he's still in cannon mode (same with Nidalee, back when she was played top). It also did wonders against Garens, especially when they tried to do their Q-and-run-away harass or decided to E the wave just in front of your tower -- E them in, the tower instantly targets them because their E damaged you.

Q is important both as your primary harass tool and as the opening to your combo. I'm fully in favor of shifting the damage ratios further in favor of "Blade = good, hilt = shit" because bad Darius players could still do good damage with bad Qs. The problem with the delay is twofold:

1. It makes your harass much, much weaker. A little-known fact is that Darius' Q has the same range as Teemo's autoattacks. Before the rework, that meant that any time the bugger tried to walk up, you Q'd and walked away, and you'd always come out ahead. It is also long-ranged enough that you can harass champions like Riven, Garen, &c. while being far enough away that they (Riven in particular is notable for this) had to burn abilities to gapclose if they wanted to trade back. What typically happened with Rivens is that either they a) play aggressive, in which case you can force them to burn E+Q+Q2 just to get to you, or b) scared, and are constantly using E to try to avoid your harass instead of to harass you.

He wasn't as good in a straight bully role, obviously, because without anything beyond his E to force fights, a lot of traditional farming champions could play relatively safe. This is the core of why I liked him.

2. It breaks your combo. Darius' engage was always oriented around the Q->E, and it's even more so now that the damage has been shifted further onto Q's edge. You had to time it exactly to get the full damage on your Q and still get the grab. Q's instant cast also meant that you could weave it into your rotation without issue, because it wouldn't interrupt AAs.

Basically, it was never difficult to tell when Darius was trying to Q -- it was heavily telegraphed, and even people unfamiliar with that would still keep their distance to avoid Es. You had to position well and mindgame your opponent to get them into position to be hit. Now, the delay means that even if you position correctly, enemies have enough time to just walk out during the wind-up, unless you E first, in which case you're doing heavily reduced damage. It also means that after your initial Q, if you want more damage from your Q, you need to stop AAing and walk a bit away, which is the complete antithesis of how Darius fights, as he has no gapcloser and his hook is on a long cooldown.

Anyone who's played Darius much will probably tell you the same thing -- fuck the heal, you're already fine in lane, and by the time you're teamfighting you'll have lifesteal. Yeah, yeah, it's nice, but not at this price. Q is one of your most important tools, and the delay absolutely kills it. It's as if Riot decided to rework Poppy but kept her ult, only they decided to not make it work against towers or CC effects.

I know I bitched and moaned when they put the delay on Veigar's E, but that one was honestly justified, and it's balanced. It didn't break his ability to combo, it just made it more difficult. This? This ruins Darius' lane phase and severely weakens his teamfight. The only way you're likely to get off reliable Qs now is if you've got someone with good lockdown to work with -- in lane phase that is especially bad, because it means you're calling for your jungler. One of the big upsides of Darius was that you were strong enough and safe enough that you could tell your jungler to focus on helping other lanes, unless there was an idiot Riven or something who wanted to keep giving over free kills.

Remember that earlier example of Teemo's AA harass vs. Darius' Q? Know what happens now? Teemo walks up, autoattacks, and walks away before your Q finishes casting. Know what happens now with Riven? She walks away without using E, or Es into you and takes minimal damage because the cast didn't finish until she was already past the main damage band.

(removed)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:51:02 pm by Toady One »

3. Run Resize Enable

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #15098 on: August 29, 2015, 12:47:11 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:51:20 pm by Toady One »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15099 on: August 29, 2015, 06:18:55 pm »

Regarding the SKT T1 Faker Diana match

I'm watching it and 17 mins into the game.
Faker has Abyssals, Merc Treads, Amp Tome, Dorans Ring and a Flask
No Nashors
Oh and he has 5 kills and 1 death....

Fast forward to end of game
Faker is 10/1/5
Is lvl 18 vs lvl 15 Viktor, 14 Fizz and lvl 12's from the rest of KT.

Nashor's only helped Faker on one kill on Ashe right at the end of the game where he managed to get last autoattack off quick enough on edge of fountain. Nashor's did nothing else in the game apart from faster autoattacks on Rift Scuttler, if this was your example of how good Nashor's tooth is on Diana then it was pretty poor as Nashor's had almost no impact on the game other then providing some AP to Faker and that would have been much better with a Deathcap/Luden's/earlier Zhonyas.

Marin also bossed that game. It looks like SK T1 planned on the Diana splitpush hence the teleport (and Nashor's) but they snowballed so hard so early they didn't need too and Marin could splitpush and essentially ignore all of Ashe's autoattacks.

I didn't say Nashor's is bad on Diana, I said it's not an item to rush (which Faker did not), I also said it's good for splitpushing not for laning, Faker didn't splitpush and most of his kills were with just 1 combo so Nashor's AS bonus and CDR were not really effective either, many better items instead of Nashor's.

Or can you honestly say the Faker buying Nashor's was an important purchase for his Diana?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15100 on: August 29, 2015, 07:13:33 pm »

Y'all sound like you're ready to declare jihad over this.
ITS JUST A GAME.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15101 on: August 29, 2015, 07:55:37 pm »

But someone is wrong on the internet!!!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15102 on: August 29, 2015, 08:59:05 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:52:01 pm by Toady One »

3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #15103 on: August 29, 2015, 11:22:32 pm »

Quote from: FD
I know I bitched and moaned when they put the delay on Veigar's E, but that one was honestly justified, and it's balanced. It didn't break his ability to combo, it just made it more difficult. This? This ruins Darius' lane phase and severely weakens his teamfight. The only way you're likely to get off reliable Qs now is if you've got someone with good lockdown to work with -- in lane phase that is especially bad, because it means you're calling for your jungler. One of the big upsides of Darius was that you were strong enough and safe enough that you could tell your jungler to focus on helping other lanes, unless there was an idiot Riven or something who wanted to keep giving over free kills

Oh no you don't, that change to Veigar's E completely ruined his kit, when he was ALREADY made weaker by the removal of Deathfire (you know, that item that you had to rush every single game regardless of circumstances.)
With what they did, he would have been better off just receiving a full rework.

He ended up as a squishy mage with no mobility or reliable abilities. How is that justified?  Sure, deal with the bullshit E, but don't make the rest of his kit ALSO weaker, sans E.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:12:25 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15104 on: August 29, 2015, 11:52:54 pm »

IMO Veigar's weaker than he should be, but he's still playable. The main point is that the E still works as a teamfighting tool; you drop that down and you're pretty much guaranteed to get multiple stuns. It's also still workable for forcing flashes/catching people, and it's definitely possible to land it on people in lane.

I was mainly pissed back when they first nerfed him, but they later reduced the E delay to a more tolerable level. I've even come to appreciate the Q change over time, since I realized that I'd overlooked how much easier it is to kite and poke safely with it being fire-and-forget instead of point-and-click (though maybe it's just me that feels like point-and-clicks tend to leave you moving a little closer towards the enemy than you otherwise would).

Basically it's working as intended, it turned him into a skill matchup. I pretty frequently get the stun on people simply because they didn't react fast enough to avoid walking into it; it's much rarer for them to flash instantly. It's still got all of the utility for chasing and peeling, and a decent fraction of the power in lane. I loved Veigar so much, but I can admit that his E was one of the most obnoxious, lane-dominating abilities there was. But that one really is just my opinion, and I definitely get why you feel otherwise.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1005 1006 [1007] 1008 1009 ... 1067