Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An Even Better Magma Pump Stack  (Read 10655 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
An Even Better Magma Pump Stack
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:24:23 am »

I just tested this on water and realised that the following pumpstack will totally work:
Zodd:
Code: [Select]
.XX.
.%%.
(pumping from east)
Zeven:
Code: [Select]
.XX.
.%%.
(pumping from west)
. = empty space
% = pump
X = stairs
The water doesn't have time to fall before it is sucked up by the next pump. Considering that magma flows even slower than water and in this setup doesn't touch anything, forcing it to recalculate temperature, this should work even better than design described in this thread. So, for !!SCIENCE!!, let's test this on magma!

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Even Better Magma Pump Stack
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 07:02:49 am »

Until you have to shut it down...

Also magma/lava flows exactly as fast as water, it just doesn't propagate pressure, except when it comes out of a pump, so in this situation water is exactly the same as lava.

Also this is on the 40d wiki, under screw pump.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Screw_pump#No_retaining_walls

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 07:08:51 am »

Wouldn't shutting it down be a simple case of cutting the power, followed by a big splash?

I'm considering using this to fill and pressurise a magma reservoir to be used for defence and obsidian casting. The shutdown issue could be solved by simply cutting the power and draining the reservoir from the bottom. I'm curious to see how pumping through the reservoir itself will affect the magma psuedo-pressure though.

Ah well, I'm sure it won't be the last unfortunate !!incident!! to plague this fort :P

ashein

• Bay Watcher
  • you must construct additional magma pumps!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 09:17:48 am »

I think when the reservoir above the stack is full, the pumps will start spilling magma, as there's just no place for the liquid to be stored above :/

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:26:18 am »

This is a better pump stack. Pretty amazing. My favorite part is that if anything fails, massive amounts of magma will cascade down. I may try this as my first pump stack.

What's the FPS impact compared to other pump stacks? Has anyone tested yet?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:17:21 am »

This exact design was actually suggested in the older thread, and ultimately dismissed due to A) absolutely requiring magma-safe pumps since you only get the FPS-drop-reducing property once each level is actually filled, and B) ultimately taking more space than the most refined design with FPS-drop-reducing properties.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 10:28:29 am »

A safe but delayed way of turning this off would be to just cut the power to the bottom pump. You have to make sure the rest aren't only supported by it, though, as otherwise the whole stack will deconstruct itself.

I'm considering using this to fill and pressurise a magma reservoir to be used for defence and obsidian casting. The shutdown issue could be solved by simply cutting the power and draining the reservoir from the bottom. I'm curious to see how pumping through the reservoir itself will affect the magma psuedo-pressure though.
I used a similar design for my mechanical erupting volcano.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:30:15 am »

A safe but delayed way of turning this off would be to just cut the power to the bottom pump. You have to make sure the rest aren't only supported by it, though, as otherwise the whole stack will deconstruct itself.
Actually, that's wrong. You're thinking about gears; pumps will support other pumps regardless of whether or not they have power.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 01:08:50 pm »

Actually, that's wrong. You're thinking about gears; pumps will support other pumps regardless of whether or not they have power.

The only special requirement is that the pump stack always be connected to something that has a stable foundation - note that, in this case, a deactivated gear assembly is not considered to have a stable foundation.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:17:51 pm »

The only special requirement is that the pump stack always be connected to something that has a stable foundation - note that, in this case, a deactivated gear assembly is not considered to have a stable foundation.
The only way this scenario can happen is if you construct the pumpstack and the gear assembly and then deconstruct at least the bottom and the top stairs; Also to make pumpstack functional there has to be magma on the level under the bottom pump, where also gear assembly has to be located and thus axles that will be submerged in magma and thus need to be made out of nethercap... Don't you think that's a bit overblown assumption?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 02:27:14 pm »

This looks too unsafe for me. For this to overflow you don't even have to shut it down, if overflows by itself, when reservior atop that pump stack is full. I much preffer double-barrel improved pump stack with emergency shutdown shafts, and grates over chanelled spaces. Your design is much quicket to make, and easier to fit in vertical space not breaching caverns, tough.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:23:19 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 02:27:40 pm »

Fascinating!

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 04:51:03 pm »

I have done this. It works, but it gets magma all over the place, even when the reservoir is still filling. When mine was running, a few tiles of magma would spontaneously move between tiles at each level before they could be sucked up, resulting in a constant magma rain as long as it was running. I ended up enclosing it because it was simply too dangerous and inefficient.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 02:30:50 pm »

Do you see all of these people complimenting the dwarfiness of this pump stack? This should be a standard construction in every fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 02:38:21 pm »

So basically you are supposed to pump up falling magma ?

Pages: [1] 2