Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can someone verify this?  (Read 3198 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Can someone verify this?
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:50:52 am »

*Just copying this from the talk page on the wiki, as this forum gets a lot more views than a random wiki talk page (or even the wiki subforum)*

tables are used in surgery, splints are used to bind broken bones, powder casts are used to make plaster casts for setting bones, quantity of powder casts used is 150, doctors can treat patients resting outside the hospital zone.
These 5 things had the verify tag next to them while nothing about it could be found on this talk page. I can verify the last one but I don't have any experience with the first 4. Although I know it is supposed to be true, it would be nice if someone could verify it for me. Just say it is true, as long as you know it from personal experience from this version it's 'verified'

Krabocopter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone verify this?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:53:26 am »

the first one is right too
I used to see my surgeons taking patients on tables

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:58:01 am »

Yes, Yes, Yes, Don't know

It is always nice to have bloodsmeared tables after surgery :)

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:04:55 pm »

I can also verify the last one. I had a guy who lost his leg, went to his room, and seemed to not be able to move from there, so the doctor got him a crutch...

I dont know if that counts as "Treating" a patient, but there you go.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 12:09:28 pm »

Tables are used for surgery, for sure. Though I'm not sure how 'close' or if it have to be zoned as hospital to work, there did used to be a bug of surgeror not working cuz of hauling patient to table being broken.

I don't use plaster much due to stockpile issues, but I does see splints used to treat broken bones.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 12:35:41 pm »

Tables are used for surgery, and traction benches for compound fractures.  However, there's historically been a bug where moving the patient to the bench cancels the Rest job, so a well-meaning civilian will haul the patient back to bed.  However, it seems that this is only done in transit, and if you put the table/traction directly beside the bed, then there's no time to cancel Rest, and it transitions immediately from bed to surgery, causing no bugs.

Splints are always used for broken/fractured bones when available.  If none are available, they make do with some gauze.

With the recent fixes to hospitals, it appears that plaster is used in preference of, or in addition to, splints whenever possible.  This apparently shortens the healing time.

Yes, anyone performing Rest is a patient, although if a hospital is available they will automatically attempt to rest there instead.  You don't need a hospital, actually, doctors make house calls and will gather supplies from stockpiles, but obviously having a stockpile means shorter hauling trips for thread and cloth, organizing your injured into one location, and being able to reserve materials for hospital use.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 12:40:19 pm »

Everything seems to be verified so I can continue my crusade for a verifytag-free wiki :P

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 02:44:18 pm »

I wish there was a way to tell them to stop sewing adamantine strands into patients .. :(
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 02:58:55 pm »

I only ever queue adamantine strands when I'm smelting adamantine.  Queue 30 smelting jobs, and then 30 strand jobs.  Straight from strand to bar.  For added security, I lock down my fortress to prevent any injury until the smelting is complete.  Since addy cloth isn't worth it, I don't bother with the stuff.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 03:03:43 pm »

I only ever queue adamantine strands when I'm smelting adamantine.  Queue 30 smelting jobs, and then 30 strand jobs.  Straight from strand to bar.  For added security, I lock down my fortress to prevent any injury until the smelting is complete.  Since addy cloth isn't worth it, I don't bother with the stuff.

Wouldn't adamantine cloaks be worth it for neck and finger protection?  I believe cloaks are the only equipment that protects those parts.  I'd be happy to be wrong though :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 03:08:29 pm »

Wouldn't adamantine cloaks be worth it for neck and finger protection?  I believe cloaks are the only equipment that protects those parts.  I'd be happy to be wrong though :)

Pretty sure robes protect it too.
 I hope they do anyway.. as I have spent over 30 cloths making them.

Also, just a FYI girlinhat. I have a masterwork "addy cloth" valued at 25k. :) Totally worth it IMO
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 03:10:22 pm »

Perhaps, except that it suffers wear.  I don't think there's any piece of cloth equipment that doesn't suffer damage, is there?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 03:12:42 pm »

Perhaps, except that it suffers wear.  I don't think there's any piece of cloth equipment that doesn't suffer damage, is there?

Unsure, though I would hope that adamantine cloaks would last a while.  Can they be melted down and made again when they are worn?  I've never tried to melt down anything made of adamantine.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 03:32:46 pm »

No and No, cannot be melted (to my knowledge) and last just as long as pig tail.  Affords marginally more protection.

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 03:38:18 pm »

I've never seen a doctor use plaster cast, only set bones with the traction bench or use surgery. Sure its bugged atm
Pages: [1] 2