Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Puzzle Sphere  (Read 1204 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Puzzle Sphere
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:53:33 pm »

So, I found a website full of grid-based maze generators, using Stumble. I just made a sphere out of mazes. IwishIhadan'awyeah'gif.gif.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

DeadlyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle Sphere
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:20:36 pm »

That's pretty awesome! That would be cool to reclaim in adventure mode after being filled with traps. Beware, though, if you are using it for defense: the enemy with not path into dead ends without bait being placed.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:14:58 pm »

That's pretty awesome! That would be cool to reclaim in adventure mode after being filled with traps. Beware, though, if you are using it for defense: the enemy with not path into dead ends without bait being placed.

One fix would be similar to the goblin repeater - with 1-tile halls, you could place pressure plates that trigger doors to open or shut, which would cause them to have to re-calculate their path along a new way...possibly leading to trap goodness. Or just trap them forever - have a pressure plate that seals them in somehow so the only way out is through, but the exit keeps changing as they trip more pressure plates.

For the record, i am far too lazy and not nearly smart enough to actually DO any of that, but it sounds neat.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:18:16 pm »

One fix would be similar to the goblin repeater - with 1-tile halls, you could place pressure plates that trigger doors to open or shut, which would cause them to have to re-calculate their path along a new way...possibly leading to trap goodness. Or just trap them forever - have a pressure plate that seals them in somehow so the only way out is through, but the exit keeps changing as they trip more pressure plates.

For the record, i am far too lazy and not nearly smart enough to actually DO any of that, but it sounds neat.

Have a pressure plate in a long hallway connected to two doors, both in opposite states of open-ness, with bait at one end. Instant goblin repeater.

DeadlyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:28:13 pm »

Have a pressure plate in a long hallway connected to two doors, both in opposite states of open-ness, with bait at one end. Instant goblin repeater.

Do they eventually die of starvation or does it work indefinitely?

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:33:24 pm »

IwishIhadan'awyeah'gif.gif.

Here ya go:

My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:34:52 pm »

Yeah, though the "long hallway" variation is good as a functional repeater, a full-on labyrinth is clearly the superior choice for coolness points ;)
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 12:13:43 am »

I've got kitten repeaters and drawbridges changing the path pretty consistently. Also, kitten repeaters on upright spike traps, with shafts going from the middle level to the bottom. The radius is 20 levels, so land walkers are destroyed consistently, and flyers still get pretty messed up.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.