Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What was your best fort?  (Read 1383 times)

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
What was your best fort?
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:56 am »

At the moment, mine has a black bear and a wolf as its gate guards, a magma moat, 4 killed Titans, a giant military that eats sieges like donuts, and not a single logical artifact in sight. Perfect!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: What was your best fort?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:12:17 am »

My best fort had 3 "champions" that would repel sieges alone. Eventually, my first champion died and then ghosts started to lag my game to death.

That was an awesome fort.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:14:27 am »

AoD, I ask you this. If you were a kobold, would you attempt to rob the fort that had two wild animal guards? that happen to be a bear and a wolf? I thought so.
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:18:08 am »

AoD, I ask you this. If you were a kobold, would you attempt to rob the fort that had two wild animal guards? that happen to be a bear and a wolf?
Of course I would!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:21:19 am »

But... But your cute face would be clawed off... and your wittle cutebold throat ripped out... D:
EDIT: Oh god, 2 dorfs got married, and at there party 2 more got married, and there 2 more got married, ITS A MARRIAGE SPIRAL!!! D:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:26:29 am by noah22223 »
Goddammit.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:42:16 am »

My favorite was "Meat Fortress" where my hunters killed elephants with their own bones and the legendary cook made huge prepared meal stacks that were worth more than an entire caravan's worth of goods! FPS was quite high due to the general lack of underground activity.

Actually I still have the save game of Meat Fortress, I should give it another try! My only regret was being too impatient for an elephant breeding program (it takes a long time for them to grow up), maybe I'll give it another go.

Inkster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lost in time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 01:02:27 pm »

The only fortress I had that became the mountainhome. It ended when I experimented with dropping a bronze collosus (still caged) off my death tower. It survived the fall through several layers of my fort, had the cage broken open, and proceded to destroy my unorganized inner defenses.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 03:07:27 pm »

But... But your cute face would be clawed off... and your wittle cutebold throat ripped out... D:
EDIT: Oh god, 2 dorfs got married, and at there party 2 more got married, and there 2 more got married, ITS A MARRIAGE SPIRAL!!! D:
Simple solution: Subject them to !!SCIENCE!!

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 03:16:58 pm »

Well I think I have my best fort 'going' at the moment but I'm doing other things at the moment.

My best fort though ,Groundcastle, is well, a castle on the ground. No dwarf lives below ground! They live in a huge housing district over in the west of the city while all the industry is based in the east. The centre (right where the wagon 'landed) is taken up by the original founder's houses and the barracks/hospital.

However, while the commoners live in cramped, squalid conditions the nobility (made up by my duchess) lives in an entire castle keep by herself nibbling on masterful plump helmet biscuits while making mandates for fine pewter items. Despite the fact that I have none on my map.
I think I've half rage-quit that fort though as a goblin siege left my legendary macedwarf of a militia commander with 'ability to grasp impaired' so only carries a shield now. I've seen then hold both shield and weapon in one hand but the shame of his failing is too much anyway...

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 03:24:26 pm »

My favorite was "Meat Fortress" where my hunters killed elephants with their own bones and the legendary cook made huge prepared meal stacks that were worth more than an entire caravan's worth of goods! FPS was quite high due to the general lack of underground activity.

Actually I still have the save game of Meat Fortress, I should give it another try! My only regret was being too impatient for an elephant breeding program (it takes a long time for them to grow up), maybe I'll give it another go.
even if elephants eat 24/7, they will starve to death.
you will also run out of elephants, as only about 300 of each animal appear on that map before no more come.
wild elephants, however, can breed and don't starve, so capture several of them in some walls or something, then make a way to seperate one/two from the herd at a time for urist mchunter to kill.

That's exactly what I did! The problem is that it takes about 8 years for a baby elephant to mature. You can get a lot more food in less time by growing plump helmets or something. :(

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 03:41:10 pm »

My best fort was a green glass castle, in a scorching hot desert, with a cavern and a magma pipe.  Captured and tamed giant bats, and a pair of giant spiders (was sad that they couldn't breed, but it was awesome to watch them slaughtering Gobos).  Also captured a pair of fire imps, but they were never more than a curiosity- caged and put on display.  The whole fortress was made of glass, and the temperatures of the desert were so extreme that all the walls were "warm green glass walls."  Booze would evaporate as soon as the traders arrived, and even leather would melt if it was left outside when summer came.

The fortress was attacked by a dragon, after a while, whose flaming breath melted green class roads, and set a fire burning in the Trade Depot which kept burning for months and months, completely destroying the Depot and its contents, leaving nothing but puddles of various materials.  On the upside, it got rid of all the sticky molten leather:  on the downside, it melted the bars of gold and silver, and precious metal goods that I had been trading for, due to a general lack of valuable metals in that fortress.

Also built my favorite traps there:  a deadly glass forest.  A support, which propped up a pile of green glass blocks and ramps arranged to look like a tree, or giant mushroom, was surrounded by pressure plates linked to the support.  This was repeated to make a forest outside of my outer wall.  When goblins set foot in the forest, it came crashing down on top of them.  Those who escaped the carnage of the glass forest, had to face a hail of bolts (usually goblin bone bolts), and an army of giant bats, plus a couple of GCS, before they could reach my inner wall.  If they reached my inner wall, the mayor would pull the panic lever, sealing all entrances- and trapping the invaders in the kill-zone between my two walls.  It was beautiful.

EDIT:  I think it was called "Dwellrim"

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 06:33:54 pm »

My best fort was back in 40d. First time I had magma to use, And a volcano. In the mountains... That was a great fort. I still have it saved somewhere... I kinda left it be when 0.31.01 came out, though.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 07:14:19 pm »

Well, I made a sphere. Kind of small, but pretty cool. It worked well, and had plenty of room for dwarves - up to a dozen or so, probably best for 7.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other than that... probably my current fort. I'm carving a castle out of the ground. As in, removing all ground but the walls; natural stone walls and floor. It's a fortress in a crater, but still impressive. Work has been coming along well, and I was just about ready to collapse the surface and a couple of useless layers... but a siege arrived. I have absolutely no defense, and can't close it up before they start the slaughter. I'll likely just let it die and reclaim it.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 07:17:34 pm »

My best fort ever was back in 40d. It straddled a chasm, made it to 12 years. In it I got my first imagrant nobles, first mega beast. Also had a GCS silk farm, bread gaint eagles, and had a bad ass woodcutter that would just casually lop of the head of any flying chasm creature that crossed his path.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 04:05:28 am »

My first genesis fort probably goes down as my best.  I managed to get three brothers born in the fortress to be my
champions, they ranged from 150 to 450 kills a piece and each carried an artifact weapon made by the dwarf in question.

This was the first fort I ever attempted to automate and I made some plumbing mistakes.

The three brothers survived along with the 60 strong army, everyone else burned at the very next seige as the magma defenses filled the dining room.

My 'doesnt care anymore' military only lasted two more years after this as the supply chains collapsed behind them.
(Once I automate a fort I dont touch it other than to keep time moving, I like to track their eventual collapse to refine my automations.)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.