Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550060 times)

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #285 on: October 30, 2011, 08:03:43 pm »

Apparently you have extensive control of the UI, can make almost everything disappear and stuff, so that fixes most UI issues.

If I recall correctly the only customization mentioned in interviews has been making parts of the HUD transparent, which while garish, is the least of the UI problems.  The main problem is that the menu, while conforming to a uniform aesthetic (albeit one not fitting the setting), makes no sense from a functional standpoint.  In 2002 I could display my map, character stats, spells, and inventory on the same screen with one button.  I could have all of my options on-screen at once with minimal scrolling, as well as resizing the windows at will and placing items in the game world.  The fact that they are trying to sell the Skyrim menu as perfect and the fact that we have no screenshots of customization (or any media of the PC version) leads me to believe that there will be little remedy available to the vanilla player.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 30, 2011, 08:06:37 pm »

Console focus. Don't forget, console-users had to suffer through the Morrowind UI the same way computer players have to do now. But yeah, it sucks. Some redesign would be nice.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 30, 2011, 08:13:18 pm »

Oddly enough hearing how combat is still exactly like Oblivion actually killed this game for me in advance...

I am tired of Wall enemies.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 30, 2011, 08:19:56 pm »

Console focus. Don't forget, console-users had to suffer through the Morrowind UI the same way computer players have to do now.

Serves them right for bying a system that doesn't come with a keyboard and mouse as standard, I say.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 31, 2011, 04:09:04 am »

Decided not to preorder. Being out of money is one reason ;) but I'm going to wait for other people's amazement/disappointment.

After Spore I'm just a lot more wary of preordering hypes...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 31, 2011, 06:11:57 am »

After Spore I'm just a lot more wary of preordering hypes...

Three years... T...three years...

www.xspore.com </3
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 31, 2011, 03:02:39 pm »

Man, I'm retardedly excited about this game.  I have my whole 3 day weekend of nerdcation planned out.  I absolutely loved Oblivion and Morrowind, and I'm pretty sure I will either really like this game, or love it.

Can't wait for next weeeeeeeeeeeeek

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 01, 2011, 02:50:03 am »

Man, I'm retardedly excited about this game.  I have my whole 3 day weekend of nerdcation planned out.  I absolutely loved Oblivion and Morrowind, and I'm pretty sure I will either really like this game, or love it.

Can't wait for next weeeeeeeeeeeeek

This, but I have to wait a few extra days for the last parts for my new PC to come.

Then, being unemployed and all, I can play this game till I cease to live - considering I won't be moving from my chair.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 01, 2011, 06:17:04 pm »

Certain events have increased the amount of video of Skyrim gameplay.  I watched a bit of gameplay in the Bleak Falls Sanctum and the nearby town, including the first dragon battle.  It's an early quest that's been shown in preview footage, but I'll spoiler my thoughts anyway.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
These are the impressions I got from watching the game for an hour or two, so I have no idea how indicative it is of the full game.

Also, I don't get the appeal of removing spellmaking to make magic more “magic”.  It seems odd that while there are a number of quasi-scientific organizations studying magic for thousands of years with minimal data loss people have lost the ability to relate quantified spell effects to their causes.  The lore also suggests that there are supported theories for all schools except mysticism.  Using a selection of pre-made spells makes the player feel more like a hedge mage, which is the wizarding equivalent of a script kiddie.
I hope they at least have a good lore explanation for why it's absent, and not an insulting one like Oblivion's environment retcon.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 01, 2011, 06:23:21 pm »

Pro:
-The two-hand combat system

The big one: Can you block when dual wielding?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 01, 2011, 06:24:38 pm »

The voice acting was bad

Worse then Oblivion where everyone was either derranged, Neighbourly, or Patric Stewart?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 01, 2011, 06:25:16 pm »

Oblivion is great and all, but I wouldn't buy Skyrim at launch.  Bethesda games are notorious for being released with a ton of bugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 01, 2011, 06:42:16 pm »

Oblivion is great and all, but I wouldn't buy Skyrim at launch.  Bethesda games are notorious for being released with a ton of bugs.

That isn't true, I got this browser from them an

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 01, 2011, 06:43:28 pm »

Pro:
-The two-hand combat system

The big one: Can you block when dual wielding?
The player didn't try dual wielding, but everything I'm seeing online says that you can't.  It makes sense though, as the idea behind the combat system is that each hand is controlled by a mouse button, so weapons can't have secondary abilities beyond the charged power attacks.

The voice acting was bad

Worse then Oblivion where everyone was either derranged, Neighbourly, or Patric Stewart?
From what I've seen it's nowhere near that bad.  Most of the voices are decent, it's just that some of the characters sound like they're reading off a script (the mage who gives you the dragonstone quest is a big offender).  There was nothing that was anywhere near as bad as Oblivion's elves.  I also really wish I'd seen a male dunmer in the stream, as Jeff Baker was announced as doing voicework for the game.

edit: The announcement was likely fan speculation, Jeff Baker does not appear to be in the cast
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:44:39 pm by Microcline »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 01, 2011, 07:14:00 pm »

The player didn't try dual wielding, but everything I'm seeing online says that you can't.  It makes sense though, as the idea behind the combat system is that each hand is controlled by a mouse button, so weapons can't have secondary abilities beyond the charged power attacks.

Actually I think the control system is developed with the console controllers in mind, and those have shoulder buttons in addition to the triggers. On the PC you could easily bind secondary functions to keyboard keys, such as Q and E. I dunno, it just seems to me much more versatility and variety could be had with secondary attacks/functions. The primary of a spell could be a direction-based attack while the secondary could be AoE. With a shield you could block or bash. The descriptions I'm reading online make Skyrim's combat system seem really simplistic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 896