Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550240 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #315 on: November 04, 2011, 01:14:23 am »

Its definately in, they would never remove such feature. I do hope it works a bit better than in oblivion, and I do believe it does.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 04, 2011, 01:53:09 am »

Looking at the game and the new technology that's come out for new systems, I think they custom-crafted a physics system into the game engine, instead of trying to comply to the restrictions of a stand-alone physics engine.  It would give them the total freedom that's required in a game of this caliber.  Its what I would expect.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 04, 2011, 03:01:22 am »

Its definately in, they would never remove such feature. I do hope it works a bit better than in oblivion, and I do believe it does.

It was in in Oblivion? Ahhh, I suppose that was only in the PC version, then... Playing on Ps3, Oblivion had no such thing, whilst in Fallout it was just a click of R3 away!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 04, 2011, 03:07:34 am »

It was in in Oblivion? Ahhh, I suppose that was only in the PC version, then... Playing on Ps3, Oblivion had no such thing, whilst in Fallout it was just a click of R3 away!
Xbox360 has it too, either PS3 was really that unlucky or you just don't know the button.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #319 on: November 04, 2011, 04:09:52 am »

It was L2 on the PS3: Source http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Controls

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 04, 2011, 06:59:59 am »

Looking at the game and the new technology that's come out for new systems, I think they custom-crafted a physics system into the game engine, instead of trying to comply to the restrictions of a stand-alone physics engine.  It would give them the total freedom that's required in a game of this caliber.  Its what I would expect.  8)
I'm pretty sure they're still using havok. Like they mentioned they were now also using havok's animation thing? Though I don't think Oblivion's and Fallout 3's terribly imprecise physics were havok's fault so much as whoever implemented it, so I think a Bethesda-made physics engine would be even worse.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 04, 2011, 07:11:53 am »

I'm pretty sure they're still using havok. Like they mentioned they were now also using havok's animation thing? Though I don't think Oblivion's and Fallout 3's terribly imprecise physics were havok's fault so much as whoever implemented it, so I think a Bethesda-made physics engine would be even worse.

Yeah. I hate it when people blame the engine for the faults Bethesda makes. Gamebryo was perfectly fine, it was Bethesda who was a problem.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2011, 07:31:07 am »

no probs! wait for the mods!
they're free of charge.
man.
i buy bethesda games just for mod community.
they did some pretty interesting things with oblivion.
(like the better grabbing, the deadly reflex thing, the better guards, better texture packs excetera.)
i just hope they are going to teach how to make and place traps in skyrim.
like hunting traps...it would be nice.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2011, 10:09:39 am »

I think that bethesda games are perfectly summed up by the fact that so many mods are named after the thing they do better than the stock game.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:18 am »

I think that bethesda games are perfectly summed up by the fact that so many mods are named after the thing they do better than the stock game.

Conversely you could say the fact that so many people have poured development hours into so many mods to improve a game is testament to the stock games themselves.  There's only so many dev-hours a company can pack into a game before someone forces it out the door so they can get a paycheck from it, and these open worlds are pretty damn ambitious projects.

To me the physics engine is decent enough if goofy at times, it seems like it is just missing friction. 

ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 04, 2011, 06:48:40 pm »

You could take both roads and say that Bethesda did a very poor job of using an outside physics engine in ways that were good for their game, and now that they've made their own it'll have all of, and only, the features they need. Plus they'd know how to actually use it.

I haven't done much research, but it looks like FO3 did indeed use Havok, but the logo is not on the box art. So, it's still in Skyrim?

Yeah.
Havok Behavior (Animation)
Bethesda is again returning to the Havok system. Beyond just the usual physics people usually associate with Havok, Skyrim will be using Havok's new "Behavior" system, which allows for improved and more easily designed animations.
They are indeed still using Havok, the logo just isn't on the box any more. The wording I emboldened makes it sound like they're doing animation as well as physics with it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 04, 2011, 08:41:28 pm »

Almost six days left now. I think I'll go insane with the waiting.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 04, 2011, 08:48:36 pm »

I cant even get it. Laptop sucks too hard.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 04, 2011, 10:09:13 pm »

Oh god, Steam tells me I have to wait 5 days and 11 hours before I can play it.

I'm so excited, I even told work I wouldn't be coming in on the 11th.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 04, 2011, 10:19:33 pm »

Oh god, Steam tells me I have to wait 5 days and 11 hours before I can play it.

Yeah, sucks to be you.

OH WAIT, I CAN'T EVEN BUY IT ON STEAM IN THIS COUNTRY. >:(
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 896