Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558532 times)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #855 on: November 13, 2011, 02:11:07 am »

I really like this game, but...I don't know. I just don't feel excited playing it. The really annoying part was that damned Ice Troll on the road to the GandalfBeards, who almost ripped me and my servant to shreds. I just ran away, since it would kill me in 2-3 hits, and even blasting it with every scroll and point of magic I had, it just wouldn't die. I had killed a normal troll, but...Yeah.

Also: The Bard's Guild is really, really lame. You don't even get to be a bard, you just go around doing stupid quests. Ugh. I really like dual-wielding a sword and a dagger, it works well. The dagger has a stamina sapping enchantment, and the sword has a strong fire attack, so it makes things a LOT easier.

Note: When I found my first dragon (NOT counting the quest one at the west-tower-place), it just...Flew in circles. Around me. I hit it with a shout, and blasted it with magic, but then it just flew off at roughly Mach 10. That was disappointing.

Will continue playing tomorrow, it is now time for sleeps...Alsodon'tgetmewrong, but I am using the pirated version. My legit copy will ship on tuesday, and I wanted to see if my computer could run it. Surprise surprise, my five-year-old PC can run it smoothly on low settings. Great optimization! I've seen a few strange graphical abnormalities, including a flying mammoth. Seriously. It was in a river, then suddenly floated up, spun around and landed on the ground...Then left.

Oh! Does anybody else equip dual fire spells and blast them off really fast? If you click right, you can shoot them like a freakin' Ki cannon. You know, think Dragon Ball Z. Amazingly badass, if I may say so for myself! Too bad the range sucks.

One final note: I seriously do have my copy shipping. I bought Morrowind and Oblivion, which are still sitting on my shelf, looking beautiful.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 13, 2011, 02:28:54 am »

Surprise surprise, my five-year-old PC can run it smoothly on low settings. Great optimization!
To spite their high "requirements" and recommendations, the game actually isn't all that far flung from Oblivion in terms of graphics.
My modded Oblivion actually looks (and, oddly, runs) better than Skyrim does.
Don't get me wrong, Skyrim is a great game, but I'm not about to become another one of the rabid fanboys OR the rabid haters.  It truly is a mediocre game.  People don't seem to understand the concept that that's something that's POSSIBLE.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 13, 2011, 02:30:35 am »

This thread grows too quickly.

Preedit: gah! I couldn't even write that without being ninja'd!
Love, scriver~

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 13, 2011, 03:03:25 am »

Surprise surprise, my five-year-old PC can run it smoothly on low settings. Great optimization!
To spite their high "requirements" and recommendations, the game actually isn't all that far flung from Oblivion in terms of graphics.
My modded Oblivion actually looks (and, oddly, runs) better than Skyrim does.
Don't get me wrong, Skyrim is a great game, but I'm not about to become another one of the rabid fanboys OR the rabid haters.  It truly is a mediocre game.  People don't seem to understand the concept that that's something that's POSSIBLE.

Huh. Well, I give it a 7.5/10. It may be slightly biased due to the fact that I absolutely adore Medieval Fantasy (Whilst I abhor anything Sci-Fi related), and that the magic is really, really good. But the problems are numerous.

Two crashes so far, one of them on the character customization screen.
Got raped by some Frost Troll thingie while heading to the BeardBros.inc (C'mon, I'm like, level two! >_>)
GOD DAMN TEXTURE GLITCHED! One half of the world was flat and all muddy-colored, and the other half normal. A restart fixed it although.
CURSE THIS INFERNAL MENU! Here's an example: Equip a weapon, then equip two seperate spells. Now, click on one of said equipped spells and dual-wield it. Now, attempt to dual-wield the previously equipped spell. You can't, at least until you "Reset" the equip by equipping a weapon.
WHY WAS THE ROAD TO THE BEARDGUYS SO LONG? It literally took me an hour and a half to get there. It was freakin' annoying, whatwith all those bandits. I must have ran into five to six different groups...Curses!
Why are there giant spiders? And why does nobody care when I run around naked? This confuses me!

On the flip side, it looks really purty even on low graphics.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #859 on: November 13, 2011, 03:14:01 am »

dave you should patch your game.
that bug of spell dualwielding  has been fixed with the recent patch.

that said, for the trolls (hah the pun!) haters:
it was a feature requested by the game/people. Certain areas where monsters are above your level, and certain areas where they are underneath.
If your bandits won't get glass armour when you're level 15, it's because there are level restrictions and areas where trolls are for level 29.
and ice trolls are terrible.
i died too, and quite a lot to them.

finally for dragon battles: still consider them epic.
why? SPOILER for Brotherhood quests!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
second non spoiler why:
a dragon i doubt would land on a small speck of dirt. or in the water. that's why i consider it pretty normal if they circle around without landing down.
furthermore, if they can escape, it means you aren't doing your jobs, because once their life goes down they end up grounded to the earth.
>.>
*goes back to epicly playing skyrim*
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 13, 2011, 03:17:19 am »

You're complaining that an enemy is too hard? I am dissapoint.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 13, 2011, 03:22:22 am »

Put another way. 1/2 of the Lockpick Tree is taken up by perks that make lock picking easier. With a skill of 20, I've already went through......about 6 expert locks without having to reload my save once. So not only are the perks not interesting...in that specific case, they're not useful either. If I had Unbreakable now I could not worry about it ever again.

I have to agree on that, they should have merged lockpicking&pickpocket into one tree and give perks that benefit both at least, currently they are the least wanted perks, even on my thief character.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 13, 2011, 03:29:27 am »

to ice troll haters:

do what it says on the tin. dual fire spell. even untrained users, in armor, with low destruction skill, could remove them 80% of their life this way.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 13, 2011, 03:38:22 am »

FFFFUUUU-
Went to pick up my preorder today, shops closed early at about 4PM. >:(
Now I'll have to get it after work/college tomorrow. Don't have too much fun until I can play, guys!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 13, 2011, 03:45:27 am »

My favourite shout has to be fire breath. Fire breathing Khajiit just looks awesome! My second, Become Ethereal.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 13, 2011, 03:49:00 am »

FFFFUUUU-
Went to pick up my preorder today, shops closed early at about 4PM. >:(
Now I'll have to get it after work/college tomorrow. Don't have too much fun until I can play, guys!

By ten, everyone will have gotten bored and stopped playing already :P
Love, scriver~

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 13, 2011, 04:45:42 am »

dave you should patch your game.
that bug of spell dualwielding  has been fixed with the recent patch.

that said, for the trolls (hah the pun!) haters:
it was a feature requested by the game/people. Certain areas where monsters are above your level, and certain areas where they are underneath.
If your bandits won't get glass armour when you're level 15, it's because there are level restrictions and areas where trolls are for level 29.
and ice trolls are terrible.
i died too, and quite a lot to them.

finally for dragon battles: still consider them epic.
why? SPOILER for Brotherhood quests!
second non spoiler why:
a dragon i doubt would land on a small speck of dirt. or in the water. that's why i consider it pretty normal if they circle around without landing down.
furthermore, if they can escape, it means you aren't doing your jobs, because once their life goes down they end up grounded to the earth.
>.>
*goes back to epicly playing skyrim*

Cool, cool, and cool beans. Before I get my sleep*
, I just have to say, I understand the whole "Farther out = stronger enemies", but what I don't understand is why they stuck a high level creature on the main questline so early on. I blasted the troll with two full bars of magicka (I was using the default fire and shock spells), plus my scroll of summon frost atronach and two scrolls of firebolt (50 damage each), and a companion, plus hit him with my swords and drinking potions until I ran out. Guy (er, thing) wouldn't die! Argh.

And the dragon didn't even freaking attack me. He literally circled me. I was heading to that Solemn-place-whatever-it's-called, and there was a lot of open ground. Some small swamp pools, but that's it. My companion even hit the bastard with some well-placed arrows and it still just ignored me.

About the "patch": When my legit copy arrives on Tuesday, I'll patch. I'm using a pirated version 'till then.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 13, 2011, 04:57:47 am »

Hrm. Here is hoping that I will pick up wifi connectivity for PSN out here in the sticks. Otherwise I will be playing it unpatched :X

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 13, 2011, 05:18:00 am »

I never thought that I would see these in Skyrim.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #869 on: November 13, 2011, 05:33:28 am »

That feel when you are chased by one ice dragon and one lighting dragon intro a village and everyone dies because of you...At last I killed the ice dragon, the lighting one was too damn resistant to my blows so I had to hide.

:(
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 896