Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558210 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #870 on: November 13, 2011, 05:46:35 am »

RE: Dragons

Yes, sometimes they don't attack you. They're dragons. They don't care. Maybe they had an appointment? Maybe they're just smugly superior because you can't fly.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 13, 2011, 05:53:16 am »

Finally got the game. But the resolution is incredibly low, it uses less than a quarter of my screen and there is no way to change it in-game it seems. Anyone knows how to change it?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #872 on: November 13, 2011, 05:55:59 am »

hmmm dutchling, i'll give you a hint.
the solution to that problem is pretty basically to run by launcher and have it adjust the ini files.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 13, 2011, 06:07:23 am »

Well, the launcher somehow starts Steam. And that won't work as I've buccaneered the game.
I'll see if I can manually reason with the init files.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 13, 2011, 06:09:15 am »

Try SkyrimPref.ini inside My Games/Skyrim.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 13, 2011, 06:13:39 am »

Thank you, that worked.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 13, 2011, 06:15:15 am »

so, what does that dragon soul get them all does in the end? more powerful voice?

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 13, 2011, 06:29:11 am »

About this frost troll issue, as i said earlier, this was my hardest fight. I managed to kill it by first shooting at it with an enchanted bow, then quickly climbing a rock, and shooting a few more arrows at it as it ran away, then going back on the road with a fire spell and a sword. Instead of emptying my mana bar at it, i used the fire spell every few seconds to keep it on fire, gulped down a couple health potions when he landed a hit, and otherwise just backpedaled and swung my sword at it, with an occasionnal shout in between to interrupt his attacks. It worked pretty well. There is also a troll hunting guide in the dragonsreach's mage quarters, which says basically that fire prevents trolls from regenerating (but only as long as you keep them under the effect, i guess), and that the longer the fight, the more the troll has an advantage.

Edit : now that i think about it, the "on fire" effect probably deals enough damage that you can only run away/dodge and use short bursts of fire spell to keep him burning. Maybe.

Edit 2: oh and while i'm at it, i noticed a message about unlocking the sky voice or something like that after reading all the 10 stone tablets on my way up the mountain, any idea what it does ? i couldn't find a menu referencing that, do i only need to go further down the main quest line or is it hidden deep in the menus ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:42:06 am by Sirian »

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 13, 2011, 06:54:30 am »

About this frost troll issue, as i said earlier, this was my hardest fight. I managed to kill it by first shooting at it with an enchanted bow, then quickly climbing a rock, and shooting a few more arrows at it as it ran away, then going back on the road with a fire spell and a sword. Instead of emptying my mana bar at it, i used the fire spell every few seconds to keep it on fire, gulped down a couple health potions when he landed a hit, and otherwise just backpedaled and swung my sword at it, with an occasionnal shout in between to interrupt his attacks. It worked pretty well. There is also a troll hunting guide in the dragonsreach's mage quarters, which says basically that fire prevents trolls from regenerating (but only as long as you keep them under the effect, i guess), and that the longer the fight, the more the troll has an advantage.

Edit : now that i think about it, the "on fire" effect probably deals enough damage that you can only run away/dodge and use short bursts of fire spell to keep him burning. Maybe.

Edit 2: oh and while i'm at it, i noticed a message about unlocking the sky voice or something like that after reading all the 10 stone tablets on my way up the mountain, any idea what it does ? i couldn't find a menu referencing that, do i only need to go further down the main quest line or is it hidden deep in the menus ?

You need to  continue on the main quest line to get it.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 13, 2011, 06:56:22 am »

Just did the Frost Troll part actually.

Killed him my first time in...yet ended up reloading about 6 times to try and get a Trap Soul off. But I think I lacked the necessary gem to do it. Anyways, after having him hand me my ass several times, I just said screw it. Having a companion helped a lot.

But I really can't complain about tough enemies. I took out two giants at level 6 (and was lvl 8 by the time they were dead) one at a time, using copious amounts of poison on ranged weapons and a lot of circle-strafing/jumping around/paralyzing poison. They actually weren't that tough.....other than the dozens of reloads so none of my poisoned shots missed, and the frequent missed/sloppy dodge that resulted in me getting rocketed toward the moon.

Not a big shock though. Trolls, bears, they were the SOBs of Oblivion. That they're the top of the food chain in Norse country too isn't a big shocker. We need some videos of Dragons versus Trolls to see if dragons are really that wussy.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:03:35 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 13, 2011, 07:02:40 am »

I encountered a guy offering me a ride in his carriage so I obviously killed him so I could ride it myself. Turns out you can't ride them :( so I just took a normal horse.
Than I saw some mammoths so I rode towards them and suddenly a couple of giants started to chase me! Luckily they found another target: wolves. Those wolves were sent to space (literally, wtf..) and I was saved.
Than, this dude showed up:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cool stuff is happening everywhere it seems.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 13, 2011, 07:07:29 am »

Am I the only one that finds bows inferior to melee in all means? I use bows as much as I can but I do much less damage than I would with a blade. Is it the arrows (i use ebony bow and iron arrows) or the archery is really weak in Skyrim?

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 13, 2011, 07:13:59 am »

You're right there. Ghosts are cool!
I'm going to buy it asap. I haven't turned my 360 on in more than a year though...

Are there any more/less guilds than in oblivion?
I've only ever used a bow twice in this series.Not two playthroughs. Times.
Both were in Oblivion for Thieves guild and assasin guild quests respectively.
Everybody!

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 13, 2011, 07:20:19 am »

Am I the only one that finds bows inferior to melee in all means? I use bows as much as I can but I do much less damage than I would with a blade. Is it the arrows (i use ebony bow and iron arrows) or the archery is really weak in Skyrim?

I'm not quite sure. I think most of the effectiveness from bows comes from sneak attacks. I find that with a sneak attack I can take out a bandit with half as many shots as without one.

I'm not really playing a pure archer though, and I suppose with perks you could make bows much more powerful (there seems to be a perk for each type of weapon that makes them do 20% more damage with each upgrade).

Are there any more/less guilds than in oblivion?

The term 'guild' isn't really used that much, but there is
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 13, 2011, 07:24:10 am »

Ouch.

Also, I just realized I never actually chose a birth sign or starting skills? Not that it really matters but it's quite a change.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:50:43 am by Dutchling »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 896