Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559146 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #1305 on: November 16, 2011, 03:37:31 am »

Enemies scale with you. A rat at level 3 will be relatively the same threat to you as when you are level 9632.

Nope

(Being lvl 42 and having seen a fair amount of rats in my day)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: November 16, 2011, 03:51:08 am »

???

I've not see a rat yet. Except for those ugly beasts that looks more like coyotes than rats and take their role and generally die of companion. (it's a common and natural death cause in skyrim)

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1307 on: November 16, 2011, 04:18:24 am »

Im going to start with mage and trying not to use any armor.
The mobs are just way too easy.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: November 16, 2011, 04:18:52 am »

Enemies scale with you. A rat at level 3 will be relatively the same threat to you as when you are level 9632.

Nope

From the wiki:
Many things in the game world depend on your character's level.

The level and type of enemies that you will face (in most areas). This even includes friendly characters and guards. Luckily, the level (quality) of the equipment you receive (from drops or quest rewards) will increase with them. This is to ensure that the game remains challenging and fun. One disadvantage is that if you are leveling quickly (or non-combat skills), without planning ahead, the game may become more difficult than your character can handle. The only solution after this point is to manually adjust the Difficulty slider to bring the game back in line with your character. (This is why the slider exists, so don't be afraid to use it. It's not about making the game easier for you, it's about making it more appropriate for your character.)
    Items, including quest rewards, items sold in a shop, random loot, and more.
    The lock level of doors and containers.
    The amount of gold needed to bribe someone.
    The quality of random loot and certain quest rewards

It's not a 1:1 scaling mechanism, but the enemies will scale with you. So a rat when you're level 3 will be relatively the same threat regardless of what level you are. In fact, I'm pretty sure the enemy scaling outstrips your own when you are on higher difficulty settings. I'm on Master difficulty and I swear to god these Elder Dragons take millenia to kill. Hell, sometimes it takes so long they get bored and fly off somewhere else and I have to start chasing them with my horse.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: November 16, 2011, 04:32:33 am »

Nope

From the wiki:
Many things in the game world depend on your character's level.

The level and type of enemies that you will face (in most areas). This even includes friendly characters and guards. Luckily, the level (quality) of the equipment you receive (from drops or quest rewards) will increase with them. This is to ensure that the game remains challenging and fun. One disadvantage is that if you are leveling quickly (or non-combat skills), without planning ahead, the game may become more difficult than your character can handle. The only solution after this point is to manually adjust the Difficulty slider to bring the game back in line with your character. (This is why the slider exists, so don't be afraid to use it. It's not about making the game easier for you, it's about making it more appropriate for your character.)
    Items, including quest rewards, items sold in a shop, random loot, and more.
    The lock level of doors and containers.
    The amount of gold needed to bribe someone.
    The quality of random loot and certain quest rewards

It's not a 1:1 scaling mechanism, but the enemies will scale with you. So a rat when you're level 3 will be relatively the same threat regardless of what level you are. In fact, I'm pretty sure the enemy scaling outstrips your own when you are on higher difficulty settings. I'm on Master difficulty and I swear to god these Elder Dragons take millenia to kill. Hell, sometimes it takes so long they get bored and fly off somewhere else and I have to start chasing them with my horse.

Except that animals are replaced rather than scaled. Meaning rather than seeing Skeevers in certain locations you'll see spiders. Or rather than seeing wolves you'll see bears and tundra cats. And so on.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: November 16, 2011, 04:32:46 am »

Yeah, I'm saying that it's not 1 to 1. A rat at first needs 20 hits to kill me (for example) and now it takes somewhere around 200 to 2000, if it doesn't just die from passive damage effects of my armor...

Dakorma, I think new ones get added, so you still meet the old ones and sometimes run into harder ones.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: November 16, 2011, 04:37:10 am »

I killed two dragons, one giant, two wolves and an ice wolf in one battle. Shouts are way overpowered. =|
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1312 on: November 16, 2011, 05:00:39 am »

I killed two dragons, one giant, two wolves and an ice wolf in one battle. Shouts are way overpowered. =|

there were no bears.
that's why you won.
bears would have killed you.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: November 16, 2011, 05:13:06 am »

I've clearly not picked up the super awesome shouts yet, because I'm still using Unrelenting Force and lvl 2 and it's....helpful, but not OP. I know Fire Breath and stuff later on do actual damage, but I'm kind of glad I haven't found them. Not being able to rely on a "haha you're boned" attack to start every fight makes a lot of them pretty nasty.

Like, I have the fear shout, but I've never used it. I know it could be useful, but when I'm about to die the last thing I'm wanting to do is waste time standing still and shouting. Probably useful for spellcasters though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1314 on: November 16, 2011, 05:31:26 am »

@nenjin
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 16, 2011, 05:34:24 am »

Argh, I was having heaps of fun exploring, and shedding blood of various people based on my character's slightly unbalanced sense of justice...
When I stumbled upon a bug. A rather annoying one: Enemies, when I beat them down and pretty much land what should be the finishing blow, just crouch down for a bit and then get up, right as rain, to continue fighting.
At first I thought it was either a one-off glitch, they'd used a potion or I'd somehow missed them, but then it happened again, to a different person in the same fight.
Anyone know a fix? If I can't kill these people I kindof hit a brick wall in the quest I was doing. ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 16, 2011, 05:36:56 am »

Sounds like essential NPC behaviour to me. You sure you're supposed to be fighting them?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 16, 2011, 05:39:38 am »

.....Oh god. That's still implemented, the feature where anyone the game doesn't want you to kill is invincible? Well, fuckfridge.
So these
are somehow vital to the main quest? Screw that, I'll just make a new character and do something completely different. >:(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 16, 2011, 05:40:41 am »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: November 16, 2011, 05:44:31 am »

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 896