Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550176 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1350 on: November 16, 2011, 01:04:52 pm »

Difficulty: Master
Race: Anything but Khajit
Stone: Tower only
Armour: None
Weapons: Dual bare hands only
Shouts: Whatever you like
Don't pick up anything non-essential to quests. Only use non-shout spells outside of combat.

Gogogo

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #1351 on: November 16, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »

I was hanging outside of a town trying to figure out where the guy I was supposed to turn in a quest to was, when, quite unexpectedly, a bunch of imperial soldiers ran around the corner and start duking it out with the town guard. I watch for a moment, casting Courage on everyone to practice my illusion magic, thinking about how awesome Skyrim is about making interesting things happen around you, when, quite unexpectedly, a bunch of civilians and horses come running in to join the fray. This wouldn't have bugged me much if the horse I'd just stolen - Which had something to do with my quest - Hadn't gone and attacked the imperials as well. I had to laugh at how ridiculous the entire situation was.

Needless to say, against the onslaught of guards, civilians, and horses, the imperials didn't last too long.

I've been thinking about doing a little-to-no-armor guy that uses one sword or dagger. I hate helmets.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: November 16, 2011, 01:21:21 pm »

Unless it's a big battle, I stick to my daggers.

If it's a battle, "Epic" Dwarven Sword + Elven Shield, which has a +25% magic resistence. :3
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: November 16, 2011, 01:29:09 pm »

This game almost went on the shelf for awhile, because as a left-handed gamer that uses the numpad for movement (etc.) and since the numpad keys were reserved...

**sigh**

GlovePIE didn't work for key mappings so I used autohotkey which worked--mostly. Movement in a certain direction would stick from time to time which made sneaking--interesting. Also, as soon as I set up hotkeys, it appeared as if some keypresses would slip by ahk and change my L/R weps/spells, which made combat--interesting.

**sigh - lefthandedness sucks when it comes to games**

It didn't take long for one of the modders to alter the control keys and bindings, and now the game's playable, except for some UI annoyances. The major gripe I have is interaction with containers, which are: 1) uncategorized and require massive scrolling to find items, and 2) work differently than mercheants.

I keep finding myself going to town, selling useless stuff then heading home to drop off ingredients. I open the chest and click-click-click to drop items off, and only belately do I hear the nom nom sounds.

**sigh - fuck you Bethesda**

Other than that the game's been pretty fun and the world is very nice looking. I can overlook some subpar rock textures and the occasionally distracting shadows, but on an older rig (C2D and 4850x2) I can set everything but AA and shadows to ultra and get playable fps @ 1920x1200, which is much more than I expected since both Morrowind and Oblivion ate my previous PCs for lunch.

I've played long enough to get a good understanding of the core mechanics (lvl 15 Dunmer) and I think it's time to restart with a more playable char.

**schedules next week off**

There we go.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:30:54 pm by eggrock »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: November 16, 2011, 01:45:18 pm »

Against wildlife I often just stealth and shoot them with my bow (That steals their souls).  Against humans or in a dungeon I beat things with my flaming greatsword of every-single-bit-of-my-armor-fortifying-two-handed-with-a-dozen-fortify-two-handed-potions-with-full-two-handed-skill-perks.

If I can get them on the ground I often two shot dragons.

Speaking of dragons, you know that first dragon you kill at that tower?  His corpse is still around.  Except it keeps getting progressively weirder.

It used to still be at the tower, and just twitch oddly occasionally.

Then a random dragon attacked the tower and his corpse wasn't there.  AFTER I killed the dragon though his corpse dropped out of the sky about 200 feet east of the tower on my walk back (I don't fast travel usually).  All his flesh was back on.

Then walking back I see his corpse drop out of the sky again.  This time directly on top of the carriage guy in front of the city.

Bjorlam the wagon guy: Just another day in Skyrim.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: November 16, 2011, 01:56:32 pm »

Ah, that reminds me, can't believe I didn't post this, totally forgot.

Yesterday, I stepped out of the Nightgate inn.

Suddenly, BAM. A frigging Horker comes flying from the sky and smashes into the ground, leaving just his ass sticking out of the ground. THE FUCK?

Reverse Team Rocket event? Or the fall side of it happening?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 16, 2011, 02:00:04 pm »

I guess when giants kill things they get hit so hard they actually phase through the internet at the height of their arc and and land in somebody else's game.

Perhaps we can weaponize this.

that pic IMO makes the dragoon look like it was pissed and just fell out of the sky unconcious.

I am now going to use that as the explanation, he's just horribly unhappy about his failure to kill me and he's become an alcoholic.  Only ever see him during his unfortunate drinking and flying escapades which always leave him passed out in a stupor.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:04:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: November 16, 2011, 02:01:32 pm »

I guess when giants kill things they get hit so hard they actually phase through the internet at the height of their arc and and land in somebody else's game.

Perhaps we can weaponize this.

Alright men! Our intel says the enemy is currently in-battle with Final Boss! Begin Giant Paratroop Deployment!

Suddenly, Horker Rain. Immune to Clear Skies.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 16, 2011, 02:12:19 pm »

Here's a challenge I thought of:

Difficulty Level: Master (of course)
Race: Any
Stone: Any that doesn't give any active powers
Armor: Heavy
Magic/Shouts: None
Weapons: Shield bashing only.

Potions are allowed, especially stamina ones.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Vindictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #1359 on: November 16, 2011, 02:48:05 pm »

I have fought three random dragons in the courtyard of the mage college.

They don't go away or stop like in oblivion.
Yeah, I almost always see them there or at the first village. Hell, the entirety of the first village is depopulated now because of the endless dragon attacks. At least the mages always kill their dragons.

You kidding?

The mages just walked around like nothing was happening while I took flaming potshots at the dragon that attacked me. I think one summoned an atronach, then she just walked away, the atronach following obediently.
Well, I now have an urge to end sentient life.

I think I'll go meditate for a bit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1360 on: November 16, 2011, 02:58:41 pm »

Yeah, I do wish the people recognized the danger and helped out a bit. I mean the dragon swatted one student across the courtyard and flamed one of the mages and they stroll around commenting on how well I'm doing as a new member. One of them sat down during the attack to have a fucking sandwich. (Well he was eating some bread but they dont have sammiches so if they did I'm sure he'd have had one.)

I had an irritating encounter with one of the random quests. No spoilers but I was supposed to assassinate someone in the Jarl's place. I sneak in to the place in the dead of night, 2am. Everyone in the hall is still just sitting around. Don't these people go to bed? I sat in the shadows (Whiterun doesn't like me so I have to stealth) for a while and nobody moved. I wait 12 hours in 1 hour increments. Nobody even moves! The guy I'm to assassinate is sitting at the table enjoying some meade. He continues to do so for 4 hours, where he decides to stand up and take a stroll around the room and then sit down and eat an apple for 2 hours. This pretty much repeats. None of them ever went to sleep, including the Jarl and his courtiers.

Annoyed, I saved and quit the game to see if it would reset their schedules. I quit the game, loaded back in, returned to the hall. They're now all standing around the Jarl in silence, including 4-5 guards and the housecarl, the court wizard, and the randomly generated 'visiting noble' who is my target.

Seriously game? I am supposed to kill someone who spends all of his time next to the Jarl and his personal guard in a city that hates me forever?

Fine.

Curious, I waited a bit longer and he finally went to bed! I was excited, he was sleeping finally after 3 days and was alone in a room. I sneak in there using an invisibility potion (had to cross in front of some guards) and close the door, then stealth over to his bed and kill him in a single hit. This is in a closed room, on a man who is sleeping, while I am stealthed. The entire hall was instantly alerted to the action and attacked me.

-sigh-

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: November 16, 2011, 03:18:36 pm »

I did the silver hand quest for the companions
Spoiler: Companions spoiler (click to show/hide)
and did the dungeon afterwards.  I head back to pick Lydia back up and she's not in the castle.  I panic a little bit, and go back where the event started and she's not there either.

Crap, I start thinking I wasn't supposed to bring a follower to that and that she's lost to the Bethesda missing NPC ether.  Too late to load an earlier save, I head into my house to put away my newest harvest of dragon bits, and she's in my room.  I didn't even notice her until she coughed.   

Who let you in? And what are you doing in my room while I'm away? 
Creepy.  She must have a thing for reptiles.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 03:20:26 pm by Greiger »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: November 16, 2011, 03:22:01 pm »

I interrupted an execution a day or two ago, although my first attempt ended badly due to an invulnerable NPC deciding to fight me after all but one of the guards was dead. Since he WOULD NOT DIE I ended up being pincushioned to death by an archer guard while attempting to repeatedly smack him with my mace while he was down.

It turned out that the NPC was a questgiver citizen who didn't even like the guards and wanted me to turn off the light in the lighthouse so a ship would crash and could be looted. This is Bethesda's idea of an essential NPC?

The second time I tried, I used frost breath on the executioner, the prisoner ran the hell away, and then Lydia started attacking the guards. I drew several guards away up the nearby stairs to the top of a wall while the prisoner fled around the corner, deeper into the city. In the end, Lydia had killed the executioner, I had gained several points of block and some restoration and probably a level, and my bounty was only 40 gold. Alas, I found the prisoner's body on some stairs some distance into the city while searching for him later. Apparently someone struck him down cruelly. He must've been flagged as a hostile or something to the guards. He should've fled town, but I don't think Bethesda anticipated anyone trying to help him escape, because the NPCs' dialog about the execution proceeded as though nothing had happened and there had been no escape attempt. Nobody even commented on the executioner's death.

Edit: I have Lydia staying at the Whiterun home now.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: November 16, 2011, 03:23:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile