Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558713 times)

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1620 on: November 18, 2011, 10:28:47 am »

A quick question involving Daedra, since they always love to mess with me.

Is Azura considered a 'Good' Daedra? I've read an in-game book that points to her realm being one of beauty and peace. And she's the Lord of Dawn and Dusk, so that's not really a terrible thing to worship, is it?

Azura doesn't care about anything but herself. She was the one who cursed the Chimer into Dunmer when they didn't want to worship her any more, for one. The Dunmer still consider her one of the three good Daedra (and since the fall of the Tribunal has gone back to worshipping them again, it seems) was that she and Boethiah and Mephala convinced those Ald-/Altmer who-would-become-Chimer that the Altmer view of the world and philosophy was wrong (which they pretty much are, though, in my opinion) and that they should leave Summerset and travel to Morrowind and worship the three Daedra instead of the Aedra (this was also the same event that Orcs stem from: The elven god-hero Trinimac tried to stop the Chimer-to-be from leaving, Boethiah ate him up and shat him out as Malacath, and Trinimac's followers turned into the Orcs).

But no, Azura is not a "Good" Daedra. She might be less destructive as her fellow Daedra, but's she still only does things that favours herself. Her realm is one of "beauty and peace" the same way Stepford is an idyllic neighbourhood. It's skin deep. At most, she can be consider a Daedra of ambivalent morals.

Now, the closest thing to a "Good" Daedra there is would be Meridia, but only because her sphere puts her in a position of having interests that mortals benefit from (aversion to undead, strange magics, etc). From what little we know of her, at least. She also only is a Daedra because she got kicked out of Aetherius by her father Magus (god of Magic and the Architect of the universe) because she hung around with the wrong crowd/did magic he did not approve of, while all the other Daedra (except Malacath, for above reason) are Daedra because they refused to participate in the creation of the world but still wanted to hang around and abuse it play with it later.

Hey scriver, just thought I'd give ya a heads up.  Apparently Peryite(And another unknown prince) wasn't an original daedra either.  Check out this topic for an interesting look at the princes and their how they tend to get involved with the kalpas.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: November 18, 2011, 10:31:11 am »

Yes, and I forgot Dagon as well. I can't remember if anyone of the others had different origins as well, so yeah. One of would be better, and still the one with the nicest background.

edit: Bookmarked the thread so I can read it later. I haven't really been keeping up with what's new "lore-wise", I should get myself reacquainted with it and the community sometime. I wonder if they remember me there.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:35:35 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: November 18, 2011, 11:16:28 am »

I think Skyrim is a pretty cool guy. eh kills dargons and doesnt afraid of anything.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: November 18, 2011, 11:24:11 am »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is.
Shoes...

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: November 18, 2011, 11:25:28 am »

My friend just told me that, in effect, tamriel is actually one of the planes of oblivion, and was also once ruled by a deadra lord thing.

is this right? I want to be able to correct him/not sound like a twat when talking about tamriel.

No, Camaron was a nutcase.  Lorkhan/Shor wasn't/isn't daedric.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1625 on: November 18, 2011, 11:26:12 am »

So is Talos a divine or not?

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: November 18, 2011, 11:28:03 am »

Yes.  He wasn't originally, but he is now.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: November 18, 2011, 11:28:46 am »

Well he is the ninth divine and as all former TES games all had nine divines I think he had always been one except in this game/time.
Where is this chronologically compared to Morrowind and Oblivion anyway?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1628 on: November 18, 2011, 11:29:44 am »

Well his blessing sucks. It reduces my time between shouts by 0%.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: November 18, 2011, 11:30:12 am »

200 years after the events of Oblivion

4th era year 201.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: November 18, 2011, 11:31:58 am »

My friend just told me that, in effect, tamriel is actually one of the planes of oblivion, and was also once ruled by a deadra lord thing.

is this right? I want to be able to correct him/not sound like a twat when talking about tamriel.

it's what the guys from the mythic dawn cult believe.

it's not clear if they're right or not. it is said that Mundus was the lorkhan plane before it tricked daedra to become part of it to make it alive. (and thus becoming aedra); and it is said that it was not unlike oblivion in appearance before the mundus was created (but not the oblivion plane, a plane like oblivion)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:00 pm »

A quick question involving Daedra, since they always love to mess with me.

Is Azura considered a 'Good' Daedra? I've read an in-game book that points to her realm being one of beauty and peace. And she's the Lord of Dawn and Dusk, so that's not really a terrible thing to worship, is it?

As a bit of a random aside, Meridia isn't exactly the worst you could do as far as Daedric princes go. Her quest is basically go
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sanguine isn't that bad either. His quest was amusing, spanning a good chunk of Skyrim.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1632 on: November 18, 2011, 12:18:09 pm »

Just finished that Sanguine one. Quite fun.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 18, 2011, 12:24:28 pm »

Sanguine's a bro. I still remember our antics together at that party in Leyawiin. Good times.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 18, 2011, 12:41:21 pm »

About Daedra quests....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 896