Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550018 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1950 on: November 20, 2011, 04:14:13 pm »

tutorial missions=high textures, no probs.
riverwood= high textures no probs.
bleak *thingy name*= if i'm on the same gameplay no probs, if i close and return another day to play have to reduce to medium.
after bleak *thingy name*=medium or lag.
after a while in medium= low or lag
after a while in low= start removing everything!

it does come and go, for example: if i load my savegame and i'm in a fortress/cave/inside area, it's considerably more laggy, but as soon as i exit it gets less laggy.
viceversa, if i load the savegame and i'm outside, it's sluggish until i enter and exit a place.

:/
but the first character reached level 24 with seemingly no problems at all keeping high textures and no lags.
it's a recent thing with the second character...and i can't explain it at all.

That's weird how it's worse in your second playthrough, and differs if you jump in and out of buildings.

Disregarding the thing with buildings for a minute, did you mess with the AA/AF settings, or turn on FXAA, or change the view distances or anything like that? A lot of people were saying that FXAA improved their framerate or made it more even, but for me it makes it almost universally worse - it's consistantly around 40 or 45 if I use it, but that's worse than what I get with 4x AA and 4x AF (45-60 FPS, normally 50-60). But I'm using an (EVGA) NVidia GTX 460 1 GB, which is better than what you have.

(I have the shadows on high, as raising them to ultra just makes the framerate worse for no real benefit.)

Thinking about the framerate differing when you go in and out of buildings and such, I'd wonder if you were running out of memory, except that there's no way you're using up all 1 GB of video memory (I don't even come close, and I'm running it on high, aside from radial blur being on medium), and if you were running out of system RAM Skyrim would just crash silently to the desktop :V. I applied the large address aware patch to fix that on mine (since it was actually crashing on me once per day or so), but some people have reported that it made their game slower or something. I didn't notice any slowdown or lower framerates myself, but I'm running it in 64-bit windows 8 just for fun.

6 7 new replies while I was typing this? Mein gott in himmel!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: November 20, 2011, 04:25:53 pm »

In this case it's probably just the animals cursing you in their dying breaths.

Hastur hastur hastur!
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: November 20, 2011, 04:30:18 pm »

I hope that patch Bethesda is releasing on the 24th means that we'll be getting the construction kit then, I really want to see the mods that come out of the modding community. Well, except the always present sex mods...

There's already one with the bewbs. Dammit modding community, don't you have anything better to do? (unintentional innuendo)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1953 on: November 20, 2011, 04:30:42 pm »

@shadowlord.
i did mess with the ini files to tweak it into making skyrim go "faster" since i saw it was slowly down.
right about now i finished uninstalling it and am going to reinstall it.
since it was my though too about the FXAA injector (or what's it called) and the large address aware i'm trying to go without this time, if it's better, then it was that.
i'll tell the results when it's actually finished reinstalling it.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: November 20, 2011, 04:47:08 pm »

getting pretty pissed. since something can't be right.

so, why, the, friggin, hell do i lag on medium textures!? with everything low?!
i was on a friggin HIGH graphics the day before! the day before!
and nothing changed!.
somebody, anybody, tell me what should i do? (except killing off npcs to reduce lag that is)

Alt-Tab out.

Alt-Tab your game back open.

Wait a moment.

Alt-tab the game once more to go from black window-mode to full-screen working.

Lag-b-gone.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: November 20, 2011, 07:25:22 pm »

Just wanted to pop in here and say that I'm impressed so far with the presentation of the core conflict between the empire and the stormcloak rebellion.  In the beginning, I was expecting the usual sympathetic depiction of the rebellion as the principled ragtag underdogs, and the empire as this evil monolithic force.  As I'm playing, it seems more like the sides are fairly equal.  Plus, the Stormcloaks are full of racist bastards, and the Imperials are snobby assholes.  Not only that, but many people, including the jarl in Whiterun, are really tired of the whole thing and not favorable to either side.  So I start thinking maybe I should kill Ulfric and the Emperor both to free Skyrim from the whole stupid thing.  But I just went to visit Ulfric, and my first impression of him is that he's a pretty awesome guy.  It's his followers who are bloodthirsty xenophobes.  Congrats Bethesda on writing a genuine moral dilemma.  I'm level 20 and still don't know how I'll handle the situation on my first playthrough.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: November 20, 2011, 07:39:48 pm »

It is cool.  I can see why a lot of people don't take sides at all, it's one of those conflicts where neither side is really right.  Someone in Jarl Elisif's court mentions that High King Torygg (The guy Ulfric killed) really respected Ulfric and probably would have declared independence on his own had Ulfric not been so rash.

On one hand the Stormcloaks are right to be wary of foreign rule, especially when the Aldmeri Dominion is obviously running things behind the scenes, but at the same time Skyrim needs the Empire, and the ensuing civil war is just going to destabilize the Empire even more.

Two things I'm wondering about the next game:

1.  Who will canonically win the war?  This is the first time, as far as I know, that an Elder Scrolls game had two mutually exclusive quest lines with far-reaching impact on the series's storyline.

2.  How bad is the situation going to be in TES6?  The Empire's in deep shit, and I'm wondering how things will resolve themselves.  I bet TES6 will be in Summurset Isles.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: November 20, 2011, 07:42:08 pm »

You have no idea how much I want the game set in Black Marsh.

Lizardpeople everywhere.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: November 20, 2011, 07:52:29 pm »

I'd go for Hammerfell or Summerset Isles. I feel like they would be the opposite of Skyrim, I'm interested in seeing how they would do deserts (if Hammerfell). Plus, I would like to see how they would portray a more exotic nation, would be a nice change of pace from Oblivion and Skyrim, which were pretty tame when it came to the locales (not that I didn't like them, I just want to see some of the more exotic locations of Tamriel).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: November 20, 2011, 07:58:32 pm »

Yeah, a weird one would be cool.  I wouldn't count on it though, they're getting in the "Too big to take risks" zone.  Pulling a really exotic location out for the next game probably wouldn't fly with the people funding the game.  Too much of a gamble, gotta stick with tried and true stuff.
Shoes...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: November 20, 2011, 08:00:46 pm »

I'm loving Skyrim as a location so far.  It's so visually vibrant.  Could just be me.  I'm very mesmerized by wintery, mountainous landscapes.  As far as scenery and climate, Skyrim is almost exactly the kind of place I wish I could live... maybe a little less cold and a little more cloudy (can never have too many clouds blocking out the sun).
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: November 20, 2011, 08:04:33 pm »

Yeah, a weird one would be cool.  I wouldn't count on it though, they're getting in the "Too big to take risks" zone.  Pulling a really exotic location out for the next game probably wouldn't fly with the people funding the game.  Too much of a gamble, gotta stick with tried and true stuff.
I figured that, but it would be nice. Another idea I had was for them to have two provinces, that were opposing nations, and have the story around a conflict between the two of them. Sort of like the skyrim civil war, but on a larger scale. Maybe a Hammerfell vs. Aldmeri Dominion or something. Honestly, it would be really cool if they could do all of Tamriel with the quality/density of features of Skyrim, but that's simply just unrealistic on so many levels.

I'm loving Skyrim as a location so far.  It's so visually vibrant.  Could just be me.  I'm very mesmerized by wintery, mountainous landscapes.  As far as scenery and climate, Skyrim is almost exactly the kind of place I wish I could live... maybe a little less cold and a little more cloudy (can never have too many clouds blocking out the sun).

Eh, the snow doesn't really excite me all that much, used to it I guess :) The mountains are quite nice though, and I am really glad they brought the Dwemer ruins back, I always enjoyed them.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: November 20, 2011, 08:12:10 pm »

and probly a little less giants and dragons  :P
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: November 20, 2011, 08:14:53 pm »

hmm... I'm at a point where I'm practically unbeatable. Almost maxed heavy armor and one hand perks, full legendary daedric gear, tens of thousands of gold. Can anyone recommend a playstyle that presents a bit more of a challenge? I'd rather get difficulty from some source other than the health of my enemies..

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: November 20, 2011, 08:18:20 pm »

hmm... I'm at a point where I'm practically unbeatable. Almost maxed heavy armor and one hand perks, full legendary daedric gear, tens of thousands of gold. Can anyone recommend a playstyle that presents a bit more of a challenge? I'd rather get difficulty from some source other than the health of my enemies..

What difficulty setting are you on?
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 896