Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558658 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2190 on: November 21, 2011, 10:09:26 pm »

And then a marauder comes along and you spend the next 50 seconds kiting him. It just leads to a really awkward flow of tension.
I don't like it too but that's simply the way of TES. There was a mod for Oblivion where they raised the weapon damage by around %300 and made the armor much more important. I'm sure someone will do a similiar mod for Skyrim.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: November 21, 2011, 10:53:44 pm »

Oddly enough the technology in Elder Scrolls seems to be working in reverse.

As the series goes on there is less and less technology in both magical and well... technology.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2192 on: November 21, 2011, 11:09:35 pm »

Oddly enough the technology in Elder Scrolls seems to be working in reverse.

As the series goes on there is less and less technology in both magical and well... technology.
keeping in mind this game is set after 200 years of turmoil and war, the mage's guild was disbanded, people basically hate magic users because they think the mages caused the oblivion crisis and caused the last septim emperor to die... yeah. Maybe specific enchanting was lost in the shuffle.

On the plus side, if I stare at the stars after smithing a lot, I can make epic glass armor now. Long years of practice and apprenticeship be damned.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: November 21, 2011, 11:16:04 pm »

I am aware their reasoning but these are starting to become rather large steps backwards from the start to the end.

Imagine a thousand years of doing nothing but losing technology and you have Elderscrolls history in a nutshell

By the 3rd addition sequel it will take place in the stone age.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2194 on: November 21, 2011, 11:17:17 pm »

I am aware their reasoning but these are starting to become rather large steps backwards from the start to the end.

Imagine a thousand years of doing nothing but losing technology and you have Elderscrolls history in a nutshell

By the 3rd addition sequel it will take place in the stone age.
Hey, it worked for Dune.

Advanced technology empire to grim backwards victorian-esque pseudo-psychic warfare in only 10,000 years!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: November 21, 2011, 11:25:24 pm »

Well in Dune it was because Pseudo-psychic powers were so effective that it make all their advanced technology useless.

It is often the reasoning behind magical societies being so slow to advance. Magic is just too good that it takes several leaps in technology to even compare. Thus any true advances come at a snails pace.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:28:17 pm by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: November 21, 2011, 11:39:35 pm »

Think of this way, the last tech-advanced race was the dwemers and we saw what happened to them. as for the magicks, damn High Elves somehow got badass over the years. I like how the Empire bailed on Talos even though he was their greatest Emperor.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2197 on: November 21, 2011, 11:40:52 pm »

Technology degradation seems to happen with a lot of series. I think it's because we still really dig the Roman Empire so we like to have a lot of dark ages European modeled societies with some Ancient, Advanced, Extinct race that's left behind all this mysterious technology. The Ayleids and Dwemer, for example. From there a gradual technological decline is a short step. The only games I can think of that have averted this in recent memory are the Fable games.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: November 21, 2011, 11:44:55 pm »

Technology degradation seems to happen with a lot of series. I think it's because we still really dig the Roman Empire so we like to have a lot of dark ages European modeled societies with some Ancient, Advanced, Extinct race that's left behind all this mysterious technology. The Ayleids and Dwemer, for example. From there a gradual technological decline is a short step. The only games I can think of that have averted this in recent memory are the Fable games.

The technology level in the Monkey Island series continuously advanced.

The second had factories and gas ovens, The third game had Radar and rockets, and the Fourth even had a full body skin replacement.

Though I probably need a better example then a comedy game.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: November 22, 2011, 12:03:25 am »

And now the only non magic focused combat oriented enchantment that can be put on a weapon is fortify archery.

I don't want to be wearing a helmet all the time, how many storybook heroes wear full helmets, I'll just wear a circlet and enchant it to be about as effective as a helmet.  Lessee....huh, I can't fortify a head peice's armor defensively at all I see...well maybe I can fortify my offense with it....hmmm...archery?  That's it? 

...I guess the only use a melee has for the head slot is the armor rating...  (throws on a legendary daedric helmet)

Yea it seems pretty bad when I look through all the enchants even possible, ignoring weather I even have it, on a particular piece of equipment and can't find an enchantment worth using for a moderately common build.  Magic technology took a step backwards indeed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:07:47 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2200 on: November 22, 2011, 12:04:57 am »

Well in Dune it was because Pseudo-psychic powers were so effective that it make all their advanced technology useless.
Not really, it was because thinking machines destroyed a centuries-old empire in a matter of months and enslaved humanity for a thousand years. After that people had a justifiable fear of technology.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: November 22, 2011, 12:05:50 am »

He said Fable, magic regressed and technology rolled in. Another example was Arcanum where magic and tech were dichotomies, one couldn't work with the other present.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: November 22, 2011, 12:06:00 am »

And this is... relevant?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2203 on: November 22, 2011, 12:07:15 am »

And this is... relevant?
Somehow.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: November 22, 2011, 04:07:43 am »

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/583511

Thought I might drop this here.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 896