Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559131 times)

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2565 on: November 24, 2011, 04:25:55 am »

You know  - playing as a mage i feel like "unfinished".
I really miss all the non-combat magic. In Skyrim you are more of a Battlemage rather then Wizard.

Where all the non-combat spells gone?
Levitate? what about freefall? what happend to jump spell? Open/Close Locks spell? Cats Eye's and Light spell that last for longer then a silly 60sec. Elementa Ressist Buffs.
I remember from P'n'P rpgs that my biggest passion for magic was not that i can blow up a whole village but that i can do common actions... but with magic, and enhanced. My fellow fried trying to light up a campfire or a torch in the middle of rain, and i just shot my fingers and kazaam - theres the light. Conjuring magical horse, walk on water, breath in water, lift objects with my magic, control the wather  - summon blizzard, rain, sunny sky - just for the heck of it, because i can. Place magical forcefiel, make animals not run away from me...
sorry, been day dreaming again.

The point is - Skyrim lacks the "ambient" spells. Magic that doesnt benefits them directly in combat or game. Just make couple of things easier. Theres literaly one such spell in Skyrim. its that ore transmutation spell. I rarely use it - but i am very glad i can. Skyrim wizards looks more like a character from first person shooter and spells more like guns.

Argh, when the hell they finaly launch moddding tools??? >.<

My guess sometime after the first DLC. I'll be surprised if that isn't the case. It's no longer like morrowind was, where it shipped with it on a second disk. Oblivion had it available for download on launch. Fallout 3 was the first to not release it on launch but to wait until Christmas to increase their DLC sales.

I'm guessing the same is true here. A DLC will release around Christmas with a fair bit of reporter yankery, and then around 2 weeks later sometime either just before January or in January the Dev Kit will be released.

As far as magic goes, I'd say I agree with most of it. It needs more utility spells. But a lot of those seem to have been rolled into shouts and are excluded because, duplicating features, 1 thing can do what another thing can do. THE HORROR.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: November 24, 2011, 04:27:06 am »

I remember from P'n'P rpgs that my biggest passion for magic was not that i can blow up a whole village but that i can do common actions... but with magic, and enhanced. My fellow fried trying to light up a campfire or a torch in the middle of rain, and i just shot my fingers and kazaam - theres the light. Conjuring magical horse, walk on water, breath in water, lift objects with my magic, control the wather  - summon blizzard, rain, sunny sky - just for the heck of it, because i can. Place magical forcefiel, make animals not run away from me...

Some of the things you mention (weather control, animals not running away, probably more) are possible with shouts. I know this isn't wizard magic, but it still is a form of magic.

On a side note
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: November 24, 2011, 04:33:35 am »

Yeah, the amulet is a piece of junk.

Hell, you can enchant stuff better than that.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: November 24, 2011, 04:35:39 am »

Yeah, what a lame reward for some very difficult dungeons. I sold it at the first opportunity. My amulet of 40% mana regen was better.

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: November 24, 2011, 04:46:45 am »

You think the amulet of Gauldur is bad, pfft I just found the 8th Dragon Priest mask, I don't think I've been so underwhelmed by a game in life.

If you go to the labyrinthian theres this place where you can put them, a statue.

Big spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: November 24, 2011, 04:49:43 am »

Yeeeaaah.... that's one of the big issues with this game. The rewards are really pathetic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: November 24, 2011, 04:50:36 am »

I've got all three pieces for the Gauldur amulet. I kind of figured when they fit together they were going to combine their effects, so I haven't even bothered going to the last dungeon to finish the quest. At some point I'll end up being there and I'll do it just to get rid of the quest and reduce the number of items in my inventory, most likely.

Of course, as quest items they're weightless right now...

I'm wearing an amulet of magic resistance (10%-15% or so? It's fairly low) myself most of the time.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: November 24, 2011, 05:04:22 am »

If I remember correctly, the final dungeon was really easy.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: November 24, 2011, 05:15:07 am »

This game is going to get the shit modded out of it, and it will be glorious.  So long as the tools are decent and not too much of gameplay is hard-coded, I expect this to eventually be amazing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: November 24, 2011, 05:47:17 am »

I hate how mod develops. they start with the functionality you like and then WHAMMM they become total conversions with ton of useless stuff added that's so much out of scope it makes your head spin.  ::)

there is bar one mod removing oblivion leveled lists now without changing how the damned game works in other area, all enemy dropping armor mods evolved to include ton of trinkets and none that fixes the damned shop inventories without changing everything else around shopping in general.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: November 24, 2011, 05:56:41 am »

I hate how mod develops. they start with the functionality you like and then WHAMMM they become total conversions with ton of useless stuff added that's so much out of scope it makes your head spin.  ::)
Yes, and then theres mod conflicts and a general mess when trying to combine multiple mods.
The total conversions usually have stability atleast.

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: November 24, 2011, 06:07:06 am »

there is bar one mod removing oblivion leveled lists now without changing how the damned game works in other area, all enemy dropping armor mods evolved to include ton of trinkets and none that fixes the damned shop inventories without changing everything else around shopping in general.

Urm go and make your own mod then? At the end of the day its up to the modder as to what they add in, mods are made for their own enjoyment and in their own free time. Also I have no idea why people keep talking about modders fixing everything relatively soon etc, the construction set hasn't been released yet because the games been out for what 3 weeks?

It'll be what 6 months before we see any large scale balancing mods, people are putting way to much coin on modders and its unfair, as if they except them to make this game so much better relatively soon, large good mods should be a bonus not something thats to be expected.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: November 24, 2011, 06:28:18 am »

what about releasing a non broken game?

like the bartering bug of oblivion which was acknowledged and never fixed.

my bad it was in morrowind.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:35:10 am by LoSboccacc »

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: November 24, 2011, 06:33:46 am »

What about it? Games are rarely released without bugs and/or defects. This game in particular hasn't been out very long at all, they're still working on a patch. Relax, things will get ironed out.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: November 24, 2011, 06:39:23 am »

what about releasing a non broken game?

like the bartering bug of oblivion which was acknowledged and never fixed.

my bad it was in morrowind.

could you describe it?
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 896