Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1549988 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2760 on: November 26, 2011, 03:37:48 pm »

They could have at least made the weapon scale with your level.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: November 26, 2011, 03:39:48 pm »

Then that creates a problem where your holding off doing quests so that you get better worthwhile rewards later.

Personally to me the fix for that is to allow Blacksmithing or Enchanting to have a "Update" feature so to speak to bring a weapon up to your current level.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:41:33 pm by Neonivek »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: November 26, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »

Then that creates a problem where your holding off doing quests so that you get better worthwhile rewards later.
That's what already happens, or it was just coincidence that my Azura's Star (I think that was the name) was pretty much the same strength as my other swords.
What I mean is a swords which actually gets better. Or in the case of Deadric weapons it may start talking to you to go to it's master/mistress for a new quests and a better weapon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: November 26, 2011, 03:44:20 pm »

That's what already happens, or it was just coincidence that my Azura's Star (I think that was the name) was pretty much the same strength as my other swords.
What I mean is a swords which actually gets better. Or in the case of Deadric weapons it may start talking to you to go to it's master/mistress for a new quests and a better weapon.

That isn't its name. Azura's star has been the best item in every Elderscrolls mind you but it isn't the weapon.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: November 26, 2011, 03:49:08 pm »

Well, it is a sword that makes undead explode. It's Deadra was the Deadra of light and dusk or dawn I think.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2765 on: November 26, 2011, 03:49:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I thought it was a great reward
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: November 26, 2011, 03:53:54 pm »

I was also trying to do that quest after I found that dead mage, but I need a key for the second tomb and there is nobody there to even give me a quest for the key. Is my game just bugged or so?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: November 26, 2011, 03:55:41 pm »

Well, it is a sword that makes undead explode. It's Deadra was the Deadra of light and dusk or dawn I think.

Dawnblade or something like that.

Not all that useful

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: November 26, 2011, 04:09:53 pm »

Not all that useful
If I sell it to a merchant, will he keep it forever?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: November 26, 2011, 04:10:45 pm »

Not all that useful
If I sell it to a merchant, will he keep it forever?

From what I seen, as I somehow sold a quest item and now it is gone forever SOMEHOW!, they immediately turn any object you sell to them into aether as soon as their shop resets in about two or three days.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: November 26, 2011, 04:21:54 pm »

You don't need low level versions of units like Deadra and Felmer in a no level-scaling mod. Players should just be slaughtered by them.

You're right.  My post wandered off-topic and addressed problems beyond strictly level scaling.  The way I see it, there are two ways that it could be accomplished.  First, it could use a Morrowind style system where certain enemy types are fairly fixed in their power level.  Draugr are always weak starter enemies and dragons are always godlike engines of destruction.  The problem with this implementation is that the low enemy diversity would mean that there would be only a handfull of enemies to fight at any given level.  In Skyrim, a starting player would only fight generic cloned bandits.  Morrowind was able to pull of this type of system because it had many enemies for each level of play, such as named humanoids and diverse wildlife for beginners.

The second possible system would be keeping the system of Draugr, Draugr +1, Draugr +2 that Skyrim has now and making it so that some dungeons will always be filled with Draugr +2.  The problem with this is that it keeps Skyrim's treadmill, and there's no real way to tell these apart.  In Morrowind, you could tell by the types of enemies or by the architecture when you were completely out of your league.

Although I will admit that this is just my opinion, I don't think that there can be a satisfying solution to Skyrim's level scaling without the introduction of new enemies.

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: November 26, 2011, 06:44:52 pm »

One of my largest problems with this game is that there actually aren't all that many enemies. I haven't seen everything, but the map really does feel a little empty to me sometimes, especially if the oly thing i ever run into is giants, mammoths or trolls. Bandits are okay, but generic to say the least. I've never played Morrowind, both because the graphics make me wince a little and that I've yet to find a copy, but if it has even twice the number of enemies I want a remake in the Skyrim engine for sure.
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: November 26, 2011, 06:46:56 pm »

One of my largest problems with this game is that there actually aren't all that many enemies. I haven't seen everything, but the map really does feel a little empty to me sometimes, especially if the oly thing i ever run into is giants, mammoths or trolls. Bandits are okay, but generic to say the least. I've never played Morrowind, both because the graphics make me wince a little and that I've yet to find a copy, but if it has even twice the number of enemies I want a remake in the Skyrim engine for sure.

Even then most of the enemies feel the same anyhow.

Several of them are the exact same enemy except that they look different.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: November 26, 2011, 06:50:20 pm »

This has been a lot of people's complaints with Bethesda games going way back. Almost all of them get Wilderness Population mods to spread out the encounters a bit more for those who don't fast travel everywhere.

Seems to me I met about 1/2 wildlife, 1/2 hostile things. And of that 50% hostile stuff, it seems like at least 25% is dragons.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: November 26, 2011, 07:16:28 pm »

You certainly do see a lot of dragons. I think it would be logical to weight your chances of encountering one (unless they just fly about the map naturally, which I doubt) against how recently you've seen a dragon.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 896