Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550051 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #3045 on: November 30, 2011, 01:52:40 am »

I have to say that removing stats is one of the few cuts I actually supported.  They always seemed like a vestigial feature, and having to plan out levels around getting +5s was asinine.
Th'only thing I could offer up to this point is they could have not cut them and still removed that asininity -- there's at least one mod for Morrowind (It was mentioned in one of the morrowind mod threads, though I forget what it was called) that completely removes the level up screen and has stats gain as a direct result of skill training, no need for finicky attention to what you were doing.
That would be Galsiah's Character Development, where it's no longer possible to waste a level, since level is now truthfully "a general measure of your skill". Leveled lists, however, are still based on it, but all that means in practice is that you're encouraged to pick up a couple hobbies, like Athletics and Enchanting. :]

I'm beginning to notice a pattern among all these books.  Every single story in the Elder Scrolls series ends in an obvious, sometimes absurd, twist ending.  I'm not going to put them in spoilers, they're just two page books.
The Three Thieves ends with Galsiah and Imalyn somehow knowing where Lledos lives and killing him using the techniques he taught them.
Immortal(?) ends with the priest being a vampire.  Duh.
It goes on and on.
It's a direct result of the stories being short. It's hard to make character devlopment or plot interesting when you don't have enough space for build-up, so you instead have to rely on what the reader already thinks is true, and thus, make twists. Given that whoever did them barely had any room for foreshadowing, it's a minor marvel that they aren't terribly hurried or disjointed, and another that not more than half of the stories use such tricks. The one in Banker's Bet is a favorite of mine...I don't recall "Immortal", but I do recall the one with Lady Stressed, and that deserved a smile.

[...]
If stamina actually meant something.
[...]
Hehe! I had been assuming before this that if a character's stamina hit 0, they'd immediately collapse from exhaustion and quickly get gutted by any nearby enemies, but I guess that's limited to "survival mod" material, isn't it?

What happens to a Soul after it is used for crafting?
Gets infused with the enchanted equipment. Still conscious and all too.
It also gains the ability to replenish itself by eating other souls.

In skyrim everything is bigger.  The Deer are bigger, the mudcrabs are bigger, the beards are bigger, the mountains are bigger,some of the people are bigger, even the lizards are bigger.  It's kinda like Texas.  Except with doofyer looking hats and frozen 400 days of the year.
The cold would probably be the in-world reason for most of this; in reality you see it most obviously with anthropods, where the colder the climate is where they live, the larger they are and the more space they use for insulation. Cold is one of those rarer, evolutionary stresses to decrease surface area.

How many years do you think it would take before we have a Elder Scrolls game that takes place over the entire world rather then single areas?
I can't give a year estimate, since they are now avoiding explicit status updates, but the Tamriel Rebuilt Morrowind mod is going reasonably strong, and should eventually finish everything. On that same search, I re-discovered that they do not intend to try fixing errors or conflicts in the "canonical" lore, even if they're blaringly obvious...it reminds me why I decided so quickly against contributing to their project.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: November 30, 2011, 08:33:10 am »

You know what would be interesting, a mod that gives skill trees to those things we do that doesn't have a skillbar. I ain't talking like Morrowind (most likely spelled wrong there, but meh) style, where most players moved around the map by hopping to increase acrobatics. But like Mining, Cooking and so forth. Mining would allow you to get more ore from nodes while cooking gave buffs like potions. Heck might even have another in the mining tree that makes smithing a more useful thing, two ingots from one ore...

Hands up if you found yourself having a little more fun hunting down foodstuffs for cooking, mats for pots and nodes for mining then most of the questlines...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: November 30, 2011, 08:43:36 am »

so i am kinda late on to buying skyrim, but with my birthday yesterday, i had the opportunity to buy it and run it. my head is still exploded.

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: November 30, 2011, 08:59:02 am »

You know what would be interesting, a mod that gives skill trees to those things we do that doesn't have a skillbar. I ain't talking like Morrowind (most likely spelled wrong there, but meh) style, where most players moved around the map by hopping to increase acrobatics. But like Mining, Cooking and so forth. Mining would allow you to get more ore from nodes while cooking gave buffs like potions. Heck might even have another in the mining tree that makes smithing a more useful thing, two ingots from one ore...

Hands up if you found yourself having a little more fun hunting down foodstuffs for cooking, mats for pots and nodes for mining then most of the questlines...
okey as long as theres a mod kicking the crap out this broken scalling world. otherwise you'll find yourself overwhelmed by high tier bandits just because you area good cook or a smelter heh.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: November 30, 2011, 09:07:42 am »

okey as long as theres a mod kicking the crap out this broken scalling world. otherwise you'll find yourself overwhelmed by high tier bandits just because you area good cook or a smelter heh.
Naturally, your Cooking Skills are known through the land, who wouldn't want to eat your Roasted Rabbits Leg. The greatest bandit kings place your name at the top of the Bounty listings every night in hopes they can dine on your meals for supper...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: November 30, 2011, 09:44:54 am »

[he had a truly decadent drink lately]

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: November 30, 2011, 09:51:11 am »

Naturally, your Cooking Skills are known through the land, who wouldn't want to eat your Roasted Rabbits Leg. The greatest bandit kings place your name at the top of the Bounty listings every night in hopes they can dine on your meals for supper...
~Welcome to Elder Scroll: Skyrim! :D

off-topic. i am trying to figure out what build should i play now.

1st time i was a wanderer type Mage, with destruction, a bit of conjuration, alchemy etc. I was unaware of the power of "scalling world" so i let my Speech, Sneak, Lockpicking and Pickpocketing grow to high which made me become butt rape by anything beside Deer and Elks if i wanted to fight lol

2nd time i wanted a change of gameplay and started a Nord dual wielding chick. She was alright i gues but this time i ignored the "scalling world"("Oh come, obviously it isnt that bad...") and yet again i let my non-combat skils (again: Speech, Sneak, Lockpicking) grow to high.

3nd try being fully aware of "scalling world" i decided to give a mage another run. This time without ANY loot selling to ensure that my Speech skill will remein low. it was alright i gues. till level 21 when ive noticed i have 47 Lockpicking ( O_O ) which i was more or less forced to train wanting the loot from dungeons.

So now its my 4th attempt and i cant decide who to be this time. my idea are:

1. heavy 2H ork berzerker.
2. Spellsword kind a guy who fights with only clothing and weapons + armor spells.
3. Archer Hunter
4. PURE thief who avoid combat (quite radical and diffrent if you look how much fighting there is in the game)
5. Heavy Armor Khajit fist fighter
6. Summoner Wizard

+In order to ensure that the "scalling world" wont ruin my game i wont sell anything, pick any locks or pockets or read any skill books.

Any idea for a diffrent gaming expirience/play style?

and !DAMN! once more how this ridiculous "scalling world" limits the play style.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: November 30, 2011, 10:00:04 am »

The fist fighting is very hard, you need to level Heavy Armour to 30 to get that good boost from the Gauntlets but after you level a bit more from basicly taking damage and healing, you either have to play the game without doing anything that levels cause you won't be able to do any staggering with fists, the damage would be impossible to kill anyone quickly and get used to seeing the loading screen after your 500th death because the Mob crit hit you in one go or something like that...
But then again you said Khajit, might be easier then a Human...

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: November 30, 2011, 10:10:19 am »

I win brawls easily as a Khajit.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: November 30, 2011, 10:13:41 am »

Fist fighting becomes useless real quick, even with that perk that allows you to use additional Armor Class to enhance damage. Punching Lvl30 Draugr Deathlords isn't a viable option, and it would seem that as a fist fighter, you can't block. Punching is also quite slow, IMO, so you can't wrestle elks to death efficiently.

That said, this observation is from a player that hasn't used khajiiti, so it might be easier, possibly marginally.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: November 30, 2011, 10:20:52 am »

~Welcome to Elder Scroll: Skyrim! :D

off-topic. i am trying to figure out what build should i play now.

1st time i was a wanderer type Mage, with destruction, a bit of conjuration, alchemy etc. I was unaware of the power of "scalling world" so i let my Speech, Sneak, Lockpicking and Pickpocketing grow to high which made me become butt rape by anything beside Deer and Elks if i wanted to fight lol

2nd time i wanted a change of gameplay and started a Nord dual wielding chick. She was alright i gues but this time i ignored the "scalling world"("Oh come, obviously it isnt that bad...") and yet again i let my non-combat skils (again: Speech, Sneak, Lockpicking) grow to high.

3nd try being fully aware of "scalling world" i decided to give a mage another run. This time without ANY loot selling to ensure that my Speech skill will remein low. it was alright i gues. till level 21 when ive noticed i have 47 Lockpicking ( O_O ) which i was more or less forced to train wanting the loot from dungeons.

So now its my 4th attempt and i cant decide who to be this time. my idea are:

1. heavy 2H ork berzerker.
2. Spellsword kind a guy who fights with only clothing and weapons + armor spells.
3. Archer Hunter
4. PURE thief who avoid combat (quite radical and diffrent if you look how much fighting there is in the game)
5. Heavy Armor Khajit fist fighter
6. Summoner Wizard

+In order to ensure that the "scalling world" wont ruin my game i wont sell anything, pick any locks or pockets or read any skill books.

Any idea for a diffrent gaming expirience/play style?

and !DAMN! once more how this ridiculous "scalling world" limits the play style.

Im Playing a lvl 40 Thief, maybe assasin could be closer to the description, and i didint found any scaling troubles, it may be that sneaking its overpowered, but i feel lucky i didnt had to re-roll just because of the world scaling (wich i have to do a lot in morrowind and ovblivion), so maybe thats the way for you to go.
My skills (notice that my combat ones are not that high).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:22:40 am by ukulele »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:35 am »

Khajiit fist fighting is so boss it's not even funny. I even have around 70 smith at lvl 16, and I'm not being challenged. (difficulty is adept). Except by one of the boss monsters in a dungeon, but that was before I had real good armor. And armor is damage... You end up having so many perks just lying around from the way I built this character.

Interestingly, you can't do critical finishes unarmed if you're wearing a shield. Leveling is pathetically slow, too, due to not having an armor skill. Even so, it's not really an issue at all, because things scale with level, not with progress.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: November 30, 2011, 12:27:13 pm »

Aww so brawler khajit isnt an option? shame :( i always like custome builds...
Assasin/thief is okey then.
What about Spellsword that focuses on weapons and alteration school?
it sounds damn interesting. i remember a perk that triples the power of armor spells. thats like 300 armor with 3lv perk and Ebonyflesh spell! and Dragonhide spell that grants you 80% ressistance to all damage types for 30 sec. this + (Mass) Paralysis + being melee oriented = sounds coolage.

what do you think?
Redguard with their +10 1h weapon and +5 alteration sounds very cool.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:37:00 pm by irbis »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: November 30, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »

So I think my first build is going to be a Claymore after all, because it seems as if it might be viable in Skyrim.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: November 30, 2011, 12:42:19 pm »

Hey guys, you might want to hold off on that 1.2 patch if you haven't updated already.

All resistances have completely broken so that everything has 0% resistance.  You can kill flame atronarchs with fireballs.  Your mighty 85% magic resist means nothing now fool.  Taste the wrath of the mage.

Also some are seeing dragons fly backwards now.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 896