Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558559 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #3870 on: December 21, 2011, 02:13:33 pm »

I was watching a friend of mine play this the other day, and after watching him go go through two dungeons and asking him about it I realized something funny. Every dungeon in the game has a convenient back door leading you out by a shortcut after you've accomplished what you went in to do. He went in one dungeon and had to jump down a pit to get in, but didn't even slow down to think of a way back out before jumping because he knew there would be a convenient back door leading out after he made it to the quest marker.

Even the mysterious ancient ruins that require special keys to get in have a back door that requires no key. The ancient dwarven tunnels are littered with convenient lifts that put you right back on the surface where you can fast travel. The entire game is built in such a way that the player never has to retrace more than a handful of steps.

For a sandbox game, it's so linear and simplified. Quest markers for every single quest pointing where to go is one thing, but convenient back doors and exit passages in every dungeon? I mean, really? Am I the only one that finds that odd?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: December 21, 2011, 02:19:31 pm »

You are not alone.

One thing that really bugs me is that npcs send you on a quest, but they don't even give you directions, thus forcing you to use that compass.

"NPC: Urist McDovahkiin, go and kill some bandits for me, would ya?

Player: Ok, but where are the bandits?

NPC: Thank you. Goodbye."
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3872 on: December 21, 2011, 02:36:43 pm »

but convenient back doors and exit passages in every dungeon? I mean, really? Am I the only one that finds that odd?
I'd find it more odd for the master of a dungeon to have to walk through a mile of trap-filled corridor just to get to his bedroom. I find the secret 'out' doors that open up to the entrance fairly realistic. I just wish there was a way for a highly skilled character to find secret doors without a convenient lever nearby.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: December 21, 2011, 02:37:50 pm »

I was thinking the skills for the next TES would be:

Thieviness - You are thievy! Makes you stealthy and generally super nimble.
Magicalness - You are magical! Pretty much blow up shit.
Burliness - You are super burly! Punch people and swing swords!

Each will be tied directly to a stat, and will use that stat for everything. Also you will have a button on the side of the screen which will level you whenever you like, and delevel you too for those people who don't like leveling. All monsters will instantly scale to your level, even if you level/delevel mid-fight.
Nope, thieving and magic will be abstracted out.

The only skills will be "hitty things" and "pokey things" and they'll both level simultaneously so nobody feels limited.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3874 on: December 21, 2011, 02:39:18 pm »

I was thinking the skills for the next TES would be:

Thieviness - You are thievy! Makes you stealthy and generally super nimble.
Magicalness - You are magical! Pretty much blow up shit.
Burliness - You are super burly! Punch people and swing swords!

Each will be tied directly to a stat, and will use that stat for everything. Also you will have a button on the side of the screen which will level you whenever you like, and delevel you too for those people who don't like leveling. All monsters will instantly scale to your level, even if you level/delevel mid-fight.
Nope, thieving and magic will be abstracted out.

The only skills will be "hitty things" and "pokey things" and they'll both level simultaneously so nobody feels limited.
Maybe just one skill. "Adventurer"

You level in adventurer and it makes your awesome go up. Damage you do via any method is modified by your awesome stat.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: December 21, 2011, 02:40:18 pm »

And there won't be any weapons or magic, you just hit people with your awesome.
*Hugs*

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: December 21, 2011, 02:48:50 pm »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: December 21, 2011, 02:50:08 pm »

What are the odds that Todd Howard is lurking, taking notes?

Todd_Howard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: December 21, 2011, 03:00:19 pm »

It's a palpable possibility.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3879 on: December 21, 2011, 03:08:53 pm »

Elder Scrolls VI: Summerset Isles

The interface that many players disliked has been replaced by our revolutionary new "EZ-Level" interface system. We have licensed technology originally used in Final Fantasy XIII. You now set several settings for your character based on what spells and abilities to use under certain circumstances, what type of loot to pick up, etc. Your character will go about his questing in an entirely automated fashion based on the personality and options you choose when creating your character! We have also purchased the award-winning studio which brought you Progress Quest and applied that successful formula to our epic Bethesdasoft design philosophy! Enjoy expansive nonlinear quest lines with one or two options at each decision point! Meet and converse with dozens of NPC's each with at least 30 minutes of spoken dialogue and 2-3 topics of conversation! Engage in romantic encounters with various life forms including a pixie, a dryad, and an elf lady of some sort!

Summerset Isles! Available June 2014! PREORDER TODAY!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:10:59 pm by forsaken1111 »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: December 21, 2011, 03:09:28 pm »

Love, scriver~

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: December 21, 2011, 03:14:29 pm »

Elder Scrolls VI: Summerset Isles

The interface that many players disliked has been replaced by our revolutionary new "EZ-Level" interface system. We have licensed technology originally used in Final Fantasy XIII. You now set several settings for your character based on what spells and abilities to use under certain circumstances, what type of loot to pick up, etc. Your character will go about his questing in an entirely automated fashion based on the personality and options you choose when creating your character! We have also purchased the award-winning studio which brought you Progress Quest and applied that successful formula to our epic Bethesdasoft design philosophy! Enjoy expansive nonlinear quest lines with one or two options at each decision point! Meet and converse with dozens of NPC's each with at least 30 minutes of spoken dialogue and 2-3 topics of conversation! Engage in romantic encounters with various life forms including a pixie, a dryad, and an elf lady of some sort!

Summerset Isles! Available June 2014! PREORDER TODAY!
Pretty sure I already inferred that Bethesda bought the rights to progress quest a while ago.
OMG NOOB! STEALING MAI JOKES!!!11!!!ELEVENONEELEVEN
*Hugs*

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: December 21, 2011, 03:16:54 pm »

Well that explains why I can buy progress quest on my phone.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: December 21, 2011, 03:29:37 pm »

Relevant.
This is probably off-topic, but does it bother anyone else that Ezio seems to do a lot less assassinating these days?  I mean, it used to indicate a lack of finesse on the player's part if you just walked up and murdered your way through twenty guards to reach the target.

What are the odds that Todd Howard is lurking, taking notes?
Close to none.  Reading and note-taking are far too spreadsheety for Todd.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: December 21, 2011, 04:31:56 pm »

Coming Winter 2013: TES VII: Menu Navigation Quest. In this epic, sprawling adventure across nearly five inchs of your monitor, you will attempt to decipher the size 0.2 text in order to select the option labelled "Win the game"! Hundreds of hours of annoyed, squint-eyed searching await in the latest entry in the venerable Elder Scrolls saga!

Winter 2014: TES VIII: Programmer's Journey. This installment in the Elder Scrolls series charges players and their characters with the solemn duty of programming an enjoyable game, using limited, flawed tools designed to drag the experience out for as long as possible. Special contest: The most popular completed main quest will become the core of the next Elder Scroll game, bringing wealth, fame, and glory to the player who created it*.

*Wealth, fame, glory not applicable in all cases. All content created by players in TES VIII:PJ is the intellectual property of Bethesda Softworks.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 896