Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1549973 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4560 on: January 20, 2012, 11:11:29 am »

I really want to join the anti-werewolf dudes.
Now that the kit is coming out I'm 85% certain a mod will be put out including that choice. Honestly I thought the same thing when I learned about the werewolf issue, and wanted to kill the companions right away or at least forcibly cure them.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: January 20, 2012, 11:14:46 am »

Why, what did the companions ever do to you? Were you visited by an initiate member who was sent to sort something out?

Oh, and am I the only one who wanted to actually see that madman in that meadery try to overrun Whiterun with rats skeevers? The guy with the punny name?
Everybody!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4562 on: January 20, 2012, 11:20:50 am »

Why, what did the companions ever do to you? Were you visited by an initiate member who was sent to sort something out?
Because they're bloody werewolves masquerading as helpful companions. They're a menace to society. Pretty much the same reason I go out and kill foresworn, hagraven, undead, bandits and giant damn spiders.

Oh, and am I the only one who wanted to actually see that madman in that meadery try to overrun Whiterun with rats skeevers? The guy with the punny name?
You are not. I was surprised as hell to find that guy there and when I read the journal I loved the idea. His methodology was flawed but the concept was fun and his research was interesting.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4563 on: January 20, 2012, 11:42:07 am »

And that's the other thing... you get sent out to beat a defenseless woman, and as soon as that's done you're a everybody's honorable buddy. And you don't even get a chance to say "No".
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4564 on: January 20, 2012, 11:50:11 am »

I really wanted to be able to actually give the Companions a choice. Say "Hey, I have like 3 of these hag heads...I could cure you!". I can't remember how many Lycanthropes there were in that guild but I think if you count the player, it was more than the 4 hags you could kill. Which means you'd have to leave somebody trapped as a Lycanthrope. Seriously, that would of been a pretty interesting moral dilemma: Do you cure as many of them as you can, but not yourself? Do you cure yourself and leave one of them cursed? Do some of them even want to be cured, or do you force it on them?

Plus yeah, ever since Bethesda realised "We can just make it so you can't kill certain fuckers" the plots have just become railroaded messes...and they were never exactly off-rails to begin with (said it before, one of my favourite Morrowind mods is the one that made it possible to join Dagoth Ur and even betray him, separate the Tribunal from the heart and become the one true god of Morrowind. All whilst keeping a good deal of moral ambiguity and presenting a lot of choices and paths you can take).

I'd love to see what Obsidian Entertainment could do with Skyrim's engine. New Vegas is one of my favourite open world games ever because of the emphasis on choices and story without leading you around by the karma meter. Leading the player around by the Karma meter is my main complaint of Bioware games, a lack of emphasis on choices of Bethesda games (they tend to provide one or two at big moments, but overall it's always been rather rail-roaded).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:58:51 am by MorleyDev »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4565 on: January 20, 2012, 12:08:36 pm »

Indeed. I loved, for example, that you have three options for a new sheriff for the first town you find as you head south. You can rescue the deputy, bring in the NCR or you can fix up the robot. Or you can blow them all away and screw the town.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:46 pm »

Because they're bloody werewolves masquerading as helpful companions. They're a menace to society. Pretty much the same reason I go out and kill foresworn, hagraven, undead, bandits and giant damn spiders.

Not really. Thanks to Bethesda's streamlining, they don't turn into their cursed form when a full moon occurs. They just activate their power and turn and have full control while they do it. Only disadvantage is, you can't get bonus from sleeping.

Bloodmoon expansion pack for Morrowind handled things more differently. You were forced to take your cursed form at nights, followed by creepy dreams about the Hircine, Daedric Prince of werewolves. You had to kill a NPC (humonoid, no animals) every night or you would be very weak each and each night.

Graphics isn't the thing that makes a game immersive. I hope Bethesda will realize that.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: January 20, 2012, 03:36:56 pm »

Not really. Thanks to Bethesda's streamlining, they don't turn into their cursed form when a full moon occurs. They just activate their power and turn and have full control while they do it. Only disadvantage is, you can't get bonus from sleeping.

Bloodmoon expansion pack for Morrowind handled things more differently. You were forced to take your cursed form at nights, followed by creepy dreams about the Hircine, Daedric Prince of werewolves. You had to kill a NPC (humonoid, no animals) every night or you would be very weak each and each night.

Graphics isn't the thing that makes a game immersive. I hope Bethesda will realize that.

Bloodmoon overdid it. It was basically an admission of how annoyed they were with fans of Daggerfall's wereforms asking them for werewolf, so they just went and said "you want werewolf? here's your f'ing werewolf! f'you! You have to kill EVERYBODY every 5 minutes... good luck questing when you have to spend 8 hours each day filling your wolf belly."

Skyrim then went the other way. Werewolf is HAX. (to me it's pretty useless... not once have I transformed that it didn't end in me getting completely steamrolled by a dozen bandit chiefs). And that bonus you lose? Yeah it only lasts like one hour. Less time than it takes for you to do any quests.

Daggerfall was slightly more balanced IMO. At least before you get the ring. Once a month is not so bad, but at least it isn't "just" a powerup.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: January 20, 2012, 05:31:48 pm »

Just because they're werewolves doesn't mean they're automatically menaces to society. That's like saying all Khajiit are thieves and drug dealers...

Actually for skyrim that's an awful example, they're pretty much all thieves and drug dealers/takers.

I mean, none of the companions maul anyone who isn't a nameless bandit or whatever. Well, that we know of.
Everybody!

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: January 20, 2012, 06:10:56 pm »

It seems that most people in Skyrim are horrible. Kind of sucks. The land of Skyrim is full of A$$holes. And the main quest kind of sucks too- help the Nazi's or the Racists!. Oh how I wish the next installment of TES will take us back to Morrowind(never going to happen). Now there was a main quest you could sink your teeth into.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4570 on: January 20, 2012, 06:11:57 pm »

It seems that most people in Skyrim are horrible. Kind of sucks. The land of Skyrim is full of A$$holes. And the main quest kind of sucks too- help the Nazi's or the Racists!. Oh how I wish the next installment of TES will take us back to Morrowind(never going to happen). Now there was a main quest you could sink your teeth into.
FYI, the civil war thing isn't the main quest. You can quite easily ignore them. The main quest in Skyrim has you save the whole world.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »

help the Nazi's or the Racists!
Or you could help the imperials
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4572 on: January 20, 2012, 06:17:34 pm »

help the Nazi's or the Racists!
Or you could help the imperials
They would be the... hm. I see what you did. Both sides share qualities with both of those descriptions.

Or you could do what I did and force them to declare peace for a while.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: January 20, 2012, 06:35:58 pm »

Yeah, the Imperials are no more Nazi than the Romans were... and the Romans were pretty un-Nazi-istic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4574 on: January 20, 2012, 06:37:21 pm »

Yeah, the Imperials are no more Nazi than the Romans were... and the Romans were pretty un-Nazi-istic.
You mean aside from the whole killing anyone who they decided was wrong thing? Because they did, iirc. They civilized Rome through sword and slavery.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 896