Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558917 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4590 on: January 20, 2012, 11:19:47 pm »

This is KINMUNE. It's from the man who wrote much of Morrowind and still writes the in-game books for the main series. Note that it was posted two months before Skyrim was released :P

Also, don't be surprised if you don't understand it the first time through. Very few do. In fact, I'm not sure if anyone DOES understand it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: January 21, 2012, 03:16:16 am »

Yeeep... no clue what was said.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: January 21, 2012, 03:44:50 am »

Think the Warhammer universe and the Warhammer 40K universe. That seems to be the general gist.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: January 21, 2012, 04:06:34 am »

Huh, interesting. It pretty much makes perfect sense to me; it's quite great how it manages to merge the typical elder scrolls mythos with sci-fi and have it play well together. Though it is a small bit disappointing that we probably won't ever see the 9th era of TES.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: January 21, 2012, 04:25:25 am »

MK loves inserting sci-fi babble. Remember, Akatosh arrived to Nirn in a space-ship, and that sociopathic knight you emulate in Knights of the Nine was a Terminatorish robot sent from the future and wielding laser weapons. And other such things.

What I get from my first read - ancient magical stuff go awry and created a great evil ("Arena" is what one of the words for the TES world means, though I can't remember which one). She/it is sealed deep beneath the earth in Sarthal by using Dwemer tech-magic they didn't understand, but she/it fed of the power source of that tech-magic and became stronger. It ends with her being released and going to plan a way of exacting revenge, but I'm not certain where she's going.

So there's still the question of what exactly she is. Though of course, if this is a set up for later games, it might be left intentionally confusing. Well, no doubt it's intentionally left confusing anyway, this is MK after all, but I'm saying it might be for another reason than just being vague.

Erasing Talos and removing Man should undo Lorkhan's treachery, freeing the Aedra and restoring divinity to the Altmer (Bosmer, Khajiit, Dunmer, Orsimer and Falmer are up to debate), so it is mainly a problem for non-Altmer.

But that would be like trying to undo the cookening of a cake by attempting to cut out the egg after it was done! They need a more thorough undoing than that. Of course, nobody said their philosophy makes sense ;)

On the subject of eggs, though. You also forgot the Tsaesci, though. They ate Men to become Them.

Can't help but feel this is just another symptom of Beth's current trend of portraying every non-player race as EVIL though.
It's worse than that.  It seems that everyone in the province of Skyrim who lives outside of a town is not only chaotic evil but feels an overwhelming desire to attack any passerby, no matter how dangerous this proposition is or how little profit they would make from it.  I liked how in Morrowind I'd often find caves with mages who just wanted to be left alone, and how you could talk to the vampire clans.  Instead, Todd Howard thought we'd get bored in Skyrim if our screen wasn't splattered with strawberry jam every five minutes from murdering some nameless goon.

Very true.
Love, scriver~

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: January 21, 2012, 06:20:54 am »

It's worse than that.  It seems that everyone in the province of Skyrim who lives outside of a town is not only chaotic evil but feels an overwhelming desire to attack any passerby, no matter how dangerous this proposition is or how little profit they would make from it.  I liked how in Morrowind I'd often find caves with mages who just wanted to be left alone, and how you could talk to the vampire clans.  Instead, Todd Howard thought we'd get bored in Skyrim if our screen wasn't splattered with strawberry jam every five minutes from murdering some nameless goon.

Agreed. In Morrowind, sometimes I didn't have to use my weapon for hours. That's why I think Skyrim is more like an open-world action game with RPG elements.

And combat mechanics of Skyrim isn't that great. Dodge, slash, dodge, slash... If you get bored of your fightining style you can't change it because you specialized (perks) in that skill. I still don't understand why I can't use my weapons to block while dual wielding them. I guess Bethesda ran out of mouse buttons.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I liked Oblivion more.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: January 21, 2012, 07:11:11 am »

No. There I draw the line. Skyrim isn't the best game in the world and in fact it's a very crappy game when viewed in the light of it's genre, but in my opinion, it's ten times the game Oblivion was in every way. In every aspect where Oblivion failed, Skyrim failed less.

I also have no idea what kind of Morrowind game you were playing. All TES games have been open world action with RPG elements. And outside of Daggerfall, I think Skyrim has handled the bad levelling system the best.

Also it wasn't me who said that part but Microline.
Love, scriver~

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: January 21, 2012, 07:30:04 am »

I agree. The ONLY thing you could argue that Oblivion did better is spellmaking, and that is because Skyrim avoided it altogether. Oblivion wasnt half the game Skyrim was.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: January 21, 2012, 07:33:40 am »

You know, if you read the lore then you realise that the nerevarine screwed a lot of people over unintentionally.
He destroyed the Heart of Lorkhan, weakining the tribunal. Almalexia went batshit due to lack of power and killed her brother, Sotha Sil. She then released mechanical demons to terrorise a whole city.

When Vivec's power gets too low, he ends up dropping the ministry of justice (the moon over Vivec) onto Vivec City. This moon was falling many years before, and when Vivec dropped it...it regained all it's velocity and blew up the city. Vivec city became the Scalding Bay. Red mountin erupted, basically fucking over Morrowind fully. dark elves move to Skyrim, where they are persecuted by the nords.

Now, onto Oblivion. when the moon hit Vicec and red mountain erupted, it pretty much broke red mountain. I won't explain how (that goes deep into the lore with the magical towers on each province. Red mountain was the Morrowind tower.), but that weakened the bonds of Oblivion, letting Mehrunes Dagon and his followers wreak havoc all over Tamriel (not just Cyrodill had gates). As a result of this all, the Septim Bloodline ends to save the world, and this causes turmoil and wars and shit.

This all leads to the Thalmor beating up the Empire, forcing them to condemn Talos worship, and causing the civil war in Skyrim.

I haven't got as far in Skyrim to know how the dragons appeared, though. So I don't know up to there.

And I agree, I wish Sjyrim had spellmaking.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4599 on: January 21, 2012, 07:40:03 am »

Now, onto Oblivion. when the moon hit Vicec and red mountain erupted, it pretty much broke red mountain.

Actually it was destroying the heart of Lokharn that made it possible for Daedra to invade en-masse. The moon fell later. The heart of lokharn inside red mountain was the tower, not red mountain itself ^^

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: January 21, 2012, 07:44:18 am »

Red mountain is suppose to be the biggest mountain in Tamriel, but Skyrim's mountains seem waaaay bigger.

They should remake Morrowind with Skyrim's graphics and engine. Keep all the story and the enchanting methods.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: January 21, 2012, 07:44:48 am »

And I agree, I wish Sjyrim had spellmaking.

Anything I've got incorrect?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: January 21, 2012, 08:02:29 am »

Pretty much nailed it Tarran.

And Red Mountain is the biggest volcano in Tamriel, Troath of the world is the biggest mountain.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: January 21, 2012, 08:37:28 am »

Now, onto Oblivion. when the moon hit Vicec and red mountain erupted, it pretty much broke red mountain.

Actually it was destroying the heart of Lokharn that made it possible for Daedra to invade en-masse. The moon fell later. The heart of lokharn inside red mountain was the tower, not red mountain itself ^^

No, Red Moutain was the Tower, the Heart of Lorkhan was the Stone of the the Tower. But otherwise correct, it was the destruction of the Stone which caused the failure of the Tower which caused the Oblivion Crisis.

Anything I've got incorrect?

Dragons = Gods, Alduin = Akatosh. Anything the devs and the game say to try to retcon it otherwise doesn't matter, the whole metaphysics structure of TES lore breaks down and falls to pieces if Alduin does not equal Akatosh.
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: January 21, 2012, 08:55:09 am »

Why so?

Most tales and sources indicate that Alduin is the firstborn of Akatosh (dragon Jesus), unless all the books are just a big trolling run.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 896