Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558368 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4980 on: February 09, 2012, 05:55:50 am »

If you have a companion, you can order them to pick it up for you.
*Hugs*

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: February 09, 2012, 06:10:27 am »

But I can't due to the self imposed rule of being a Loner...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: February 09, 2012, 07:35:31 am »

fus do ra it along with you?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: February 09, 2012, 07:54:20 am »

...So what the hell do they usually do in their work time?
Love, scriver~

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: February 09, 2012, 08:10:22 am »

...So what the hell do they usually do in their work time?

Dunno, but I see serious symptoms of 'my boss is and idiotic jerk who doesnt have any idea what hes doing and is crushing my creativity'  going on here.  8/10  of that stuff looks like it should have been in the original in any correctly functioning universe.  Mounted combat.  Derp.  Flying mounts.  Derp.  Build your own house.  Derp.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:09 am »

Also, look at 21:00 for a montage of things Bethesda managed to accomplish in a week.
Goddammit, and I was just about to post it while asking for your impotent tears. You already had them ready and waiting.

And yeah, it's really no surprise that most of that stuff was cut and changes nothing for me. It's how development works.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:31:54 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4986 on: February 09, 2012, 09:36:31 am »

Also, look at 21:00 for a montage of things Bethesda managed to accomplish in a week.
Goddammit, and I was just about to post it while asking for your impotent tears. You already had them ready and waiting.

And yeah, it's really no surprise that most of that stuff was cut and changes nothing for me. It's how development works.

please answer why they didn't put it in.
or simply let them work on it with no limits.
WHYyyyyyyyyy.
i've got tears thinking how wonderful it would have been...
in one week they made more beautiful things than months of dlc could ever make.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: February 09, 2012, 09:47:22 am »

Dark Dungeons

Ok, you know what? Fuck you Bethesda. That's the point at which I lost my patience. The fact that qualifies as a week of free experimentation is bullshit. Everything I see screams a dev team that understands the same stale ass thing they've been doing for 5 years and wants to grow. Does any of that show in the final game? Fuck no.

When something as fundamental as light's impact on game play and immersion seems like a novel concept to Bethesda, it seriously makes me question what their dev sessions look like. "We should make dungeons darker." "Sorry, our cost benefit analysis shows that some fat kid with low self-esteem will flame us on a message board for that decision, and 5 of his other fat friends won't buy it because of that. Sorry guys, maybe next game!"

"But these things have already worked! In Assassin's Creed, in Thief...."

"Nonsense. This is fruit from the mana tree and it's just too rarefied for our player's tastes!"

It also doesn't help that I've seen almost half of those features already implemented by modders WITHOUT the CK. Truly, they seem to assume that because someone is capable of making it themselves, they've got no responsibility for upping their own game.

Dark fucking dungeons. BAH!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:53:30 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: February 09, 2012, 09:50:55 am »

Oh man, that's some serious rage...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: February 09, 2012, 10:01:54 am »

WHYyyyyyyyyy.

There is a huge difference in the creative creation by the seat of your pants approach and structured planned development. It's very much similar to how animators work on their projects.

In an animators free-flow approach to animating they generally produce some really impressive fluid work that is highly creative. It's not sustainable, and not fitting for large projects as after the artists burns out they won't be able to produce the exact same quality of work. You end up with a disjointed mess that doesn't fit well with all the other work done.
 Then there is the structured approach where storyboards and keyframes are set up by seasoned animators and the between frames are done by newer less proven animators. It's slower, more tedious and less out there, but it produces consistent results and makes stringing together the whole project better. The project has a much larger chance of completing when you have a good structure to work under.

What I'm saying is that modders are that free-flowing creative jolt that eventually burns out. It's purpose is only its own single feature where a person can pour all their creativity into. For larger projects of making a full game you need a structure to consolidate your work into specific areas set up ahead of time.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: February 09, 2012, 10:06:50 am »

When they've been recycling the same design blueprint for 4 games now, I don't think we're asking a lot for them to start deving outside of their box. Sans dragons, and a better open world, what did Skyrim do that is essentially any different than Oblivion?

That's why I'm really frustrated. With millions in cash, the goodwill of the market, and a license to do what they want, Bethesda still doesn't listen to the key-note things people ask them to improve on. And when you compare what made it into game (Vampirism and Lycanthropy) versus what they managed to do in a week, it makes what we do have feel all that more beta in quality.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: February 09, 2012, 10:14:09 am »

When they've been recycling the same design blueprint for 4 games now, I don't think we're asking a lot for them to start deving outside of their box. Sans dragons, and a better open world, what did Skyrim do that is essentially any different than Oblivion?

Fuck this I'm bailing ship. No way I can produce any argument that will make somebody less mad.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4992 on: February 09, 2012, 10:34:11 am »

That's why I'm really frustrated. With millions in cash, the goodwill of the market, and a license to do what they want, Bethesda still doesn't listen to the key-note things people ask them to improve on. And when you compare what made it into game (Vampirism and Lycanthropy) versus what they managed to do in a week, it makes what we do have feel all that more beta in quality.
The issue here is that you don't understand what Bethesda's goal is. Their goal is not to create an awesome game... they are a business. Their objective is to create a product which:

A. Is as cheap as possible to produce
B. Will be purchased by as many people as possible

To that end, they have to balance development costs against expected returns. The developers aren't the ones who set the budget or objectives in this kind of scenario. Those are set by some guy who wants to make money, not make the uber best game evar. Every extra hour of development work is a bit out of the total profit for the company so they have to decide at what point they have reached maximum sales potential vs quality, they cut features and have them polish the game up for release.

Its more complicated than that, of course, but that is the quick version. The point is, the guy making the decision is rarely the guy who cares about the product as a game and more likely the guy who cares about how much money the game will make.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:42:05 am by forsaken1111 »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: February 09, 2012, 10:38:18 am »

Also note that the only studio publicly known for doing stuff like this is Valve. Which explains the quality of their games.

And Valve Time.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: February 09, 2012, 10:43:38 am »

WHYyyyyyyyyy.

Because some pointy haired guys want the 11/11/11 release date...
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 896